Class 60 screeching

david12345

Had a day of running the fleet of locos today after a spell of idleness and one of my class 60 seems to have developed a nasty screeching noise from the motor or gears. When my 56 developed this a few years back I managed to remove the gear tower housings for lubricant but the 60 has the engine block moulding covering the gear tower. Has anyone else had this problem and came up with a solution?

Yes, if you look closely you will see that there is a very small lug on each side of the plastic block that covers the gear tower.  By very carefully inserting either a very fine screwdriver or blade edge on both sides, one edge at a time of course, this will pull the covering away a sufficient amount to be able to lever the cover upwards just enough get inside, again with a very fine point/tool which of course will be applying the necessary gear oil.  There may well be other methods but by doing it this way you avoid having to dismantle bogies and gear train etc in order to gain full access, which really isn't necessary.

I can post a photo in a moment if it helps as I happen to have a dismantled 60 on my bench.  :)

Archived