Project Builds, Detailing, Painting, Weathering

Graymont Limestone, Superior, WI

Ian Holmes

As you drive south along Highway 2/53 out of Superior, Wisconsin you can't help but notice many of the waterside industries there. I have always been drawn to the Graymont Limestone plant. Huge structures tower over the rolling stock moved around by a Red Shuttlewagon, almost white under the limestone dust.

post-7117-0-23573900-1488164168_thumb.jpg

I was inspired to do something with the location by the people at Raildig, who like to build small pizza layouts to get people interested in the hobby. They proposed on their Facebook page, doing something with a Trackmobile. 

Intrigued, by the concept I started testing some curves of a few different radii out. Though the trackmobile will comfortably negotiate 9" and less curves, freight cars didn't. By some trial and error I found that a minimum effective curve radius hauling ore jennies was 15". I laid a circle of track on an old 3' diameter baseboard I had and set to work. 

I had been sketching away and felt that I had something I could work with. 

post-7117-0-36924100-1488165042_thumb.jpg

I got hold of a few Walthers kits and in my best designing/messing around tradition. Started work. The placing of the structures is all important in a small model like this and with a planned working loader feature, positioning of the said structures was all important.

post-7117-0-86162000-1488165127_thumb.jpg

I sit there with my laptop and photographs seeing if I like what I see. 

Quite a lot to do yet. I've set myself something of a very tight deadline to have it exhibitable by April 1st for the Granite City Train Show in Saint Cloud, MN 

post-7117-0-71480500-1488166081_thumb.jpg

Just some blocking in ideas. Something you'll notice is how the structures really dominate the trains. As they should do on a model like this.

• Like 6

Pizzas aren't really about 'operating interest', though, are they? They're more about displaying modelling skills, & take into account the intent of the OP; to "get people interested" in the first instance. Interest in operating potential can come later.

• Like 1

I like the idea, however I suggest a larger "Pizza" would give you a bit more room for a more operationally interesting track layout.

Gordon A

Of course a larger Pizza wouldn't be so easy to transport to train shows. 

The simplest track plan can be operationally interesting if done right. I've said it before and I'll say it again, at the risk of pulling out an old double entendre.

"It's not what you've got it's what you do with it" ;) 

Edited by Ian Holmes

• 1 month later...

Progress on the layout has run in fits and starts lately, so I thought it about time I shared a new progress photo with you. 

In this shot you'll notice lots of Pringles tubes doubling up as silos to help get a feel for things.

The most noticeable thing is the new tower built from more Evergreen styrene than I'd care to admit. There's over 15 hours of work in that structure alone and it stands just over 20" tall.

Still a long way to go. 

post-7117-0-30712500-1493172554_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, Ian, I've just found this thread !

Getting folks under a certain age interested in the hobby is paramount; my old quote for it goes like this: if you come away from any exhibition layout saying something like 'I could do better than that', and go and do it, then as modellers we have succeeded :declare:  

No, that is not my excuse for 'carp' layouts  :jester:

• 7 months later...

Well, the other day I discovered the last time I contributed to RMWeb was back in May... 

But I do have a lot of other things to do in the summer like most folks. But Graymont has progressed quite steadily. But has missed a deadline for a show already.

But for a while work has ground to a halt as I'm now in the progress of moving house. Some of these delicate structures are going to have to be treated very carefully in the move. 

I'm hoping that once the move is over I'll be able to finish the layout in time for the Granite City train show in St.Cloud, MN in April.

post-7117-0-42331200-1515033178_thumb.jpg

a cruel teaser close up of some of the details

post-7117-0-73285400-1515033191_thumb.jpg

An overall view showing the starting of a fiddle yard at the left.

• Like 7