Heljan - OO - Class A tank wagon

Southernman46

I had a look at Paul Bartlett's site, to see what the latest photos were. There was one shot in 1990 at Bowling (at the southern end of the West Highland), and a few more in the 1980s, taken variously at Fratton, Fawley and Trafford Park. The ones at Fratton were probably carrying gas-oil for the depot. The others may have been in store; it's difficult to know. One thing to note is that all these late survivors had gained auxilary suspension and bottom discharge.

2 hours ago, Mark Saunders said:

Which ones as there were several owners and commodities carried!

Mark Saunders 

Ah right ok that's opened a can of worms then Mark! What would they be carrying in 86-88 if still in operation?

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 04/03/2017 at 11:30, BrushVeteran said:

The Fawley-Bromford Bridge Esso Oil train was permitted to a maximum of 54 tank wagons when double-headed BRCW Type 3's (Class 33) were available. When a single loco was employed this was reduced down to approx. 35 wagons..............the maximum I think I ever counted anyway. The passing loops and general infastructure meant that this train always had to stay on the move between the two destinations although in the early days when routed down the Didcot, Newbury and Southampton line it was recessed at Didcot for a loco change, which I can remember as far back as August 1963 whilst on my way back from Bristol. I can also remember the accident at Didcot North Junction when an 8F ran into the returning Esso empties with much pyrotechnic effects!  I think that this traffic had been overtaken by the direct Fawley pipeline by the very early seventies. There was also a shorter Esso block train which served the underground distribution depot at Islip and Northampton but this had ceased by 1969 being originally built to serve the Oxfordshire WW2 RAF airfields, of which USAF Upper Heyford took the lions share.

Cracking gen thanks for sharing!

Wonder if the recessing was for a loco or crew change? Certainly the 33s ran through to Bomford in 63 when the train ran via Worcester - 33s were the first diesels 85A men trained on. Was diverted via Banbury before too long though.

Cheers