Show us your Pugbashes, Nellieboshes, Desmondifications, Jintysteins

Corbs

Grrrrrrrrrrr! I missed out on about half a dozen Smokey Joes at 2 minute intervals on eBay this evening. I only wanted one, but was outbid on all of them :(. I just need one more for my current bashing projects, that this topic is inspiring me to get on with. Even a broken, non working one would do. Oh well, there's more coming up.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I've got a couple of those dock shunters waiting for me to get round to ordering some Hollywood foundry chassis, just need to record the growling motor first so I can sound chip them to sound original ;)

• Like 2

Junk models will now be at a premium since you started this thread.

Maybe that's why I lost out on all my eBay bidding last night :scratchhead:.

I've got some serious cut and shut jobs to do, so I'm thinking that some doing some freelance efforts will give me some practice before I start on them.

• Like 1

Grrrrrrrrrrr! I missed out on about half a dozen Smokey Joes at 2 minute intervals on eBay this evening. I only wanted one, but was outbid on all of them :(. I just need one more for my current bashing projects, that this topic is inspiring me to get on with. Even a broken, non working one would do. Oh well, there's more coming up.

Got one! Better price than the ones last night were going for too :).

Keep the inspiration coming, and ignore the naysayers ;).

• Like 2

post-6220-0-95289000-1488613911.jpg

post-6220-0-51272000-1488613923.jpg

This Nellie-bash got thus far and halted. I've never worked out how to add a front leading wheel, With pick up would help. The motor bogie is from one of the small Bachmann US outline diesel switchers. Each of the Bo-Bo bogies was a self contained drive unit.

It's based on the Tenterden loco. Also the tiny boiler, here made from a pen holder does not quit cover the motor gubbins. Any change to the out line of the body which is pretty accurate would spoil the look.

• Like 4

This model is my attempt at recreating the original model of The Rev W Awdry's first model of Percy which was made from a LARKO kit. Basically the chassis is from a modified Bachmann 0-4-0 model with Hornby and Tri-ang smokebox and boiler. The cab is scratch built using Plasticard and dome and chimney were made for me by a friend using turned steel bar. The extra weight helps to provide traction and smooth running to the model. Mind you, the chimney doesn't really look that right so I might see about getting a different one that looks more closer to the original one instead. 

_DSC0003.JPG.1f937f656f1d0ba60bd7e7a78ae4d38e.JPG_DSC0002.JPG.fc81534a77b488c6ef3e4980c4ca1e30.JPG

_DSC0010.JPG.332423c910ac5a775303eccdcd5078cd.JPG_DSC0009.JPG.d4b1cac197d8fa96b45ec8cf339d93b0.JPG

IMG_20161011_2137221601_zpsfu0vi9av.jpg.ceed45568535f8df7c7763fefe8e74b1.jpg

It still requires some attention but it's the best I can during what time I had free. I might look into it again during the summer and see what I can do.

Edited by WhitehouseFilms
  • Like 9

According to Wikipedia (ahem....) Rev Awdry built the first "Percy" model from scratch, using a Stewart Reidpath chassis; followed by a spare, or second "Percy" for exhibition use, built from a Triang "Nellie" and incorporating the tank, cylinders and various other items from an Airfix kit, which can only have been the L&Y Pug! This second "Percy" was fitted with finer wheels ... so it seems that "Percy" might be the ur-Pugbash from which all such models claim some measure of descent!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

So that's a model of a model!

Here's some more of Ted Polet's creations for the Craigcorrie and Dunalistair Railway. These are created from the triang TT 'jinty'.

http://www.009dutch.nl/cdr/main/eframe.htm

No.12 'Brutus', an 0-6-0T

img_5753.jpg

No.13 'Robert the Bruce', a Jinty stretched to a 2-6-2T

img_4763.jpg

No.17 'William Wallace'. A big 0-6-4T

img_5760.jpg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Hi - What a fascinating thread - I did not realise you could do so much with the cheap Hornby locos, so here is my take on  £5 "Bill" off the internet. All I needed was a razor saw and some plasticard. The body was removed from the chassis, and then separated from the cab. The saddle was then cut down the middle and 6mm of plastic removed in total before being glued back together. The chimney and dome were recovered from this section and cut out and filed to fit back on the saddle after it had been filed and sanded smooth. The foot plate was similarly cut and shut, before being reunited with the chassis. It looks like a big Port of Par shunter now.

post-8779-0-88283300-1488644229_thumb.jpg

post-8779-0-82066100-1488644277_thumb.jpg

post-8779-0-15232800-1488644254_thumb.jpg

post-8779-0-76843600-1488644353_thumb.jpg

post-8779-0-75867000-1488644303_thumb.jpg

post-8779-0-52449300-1488644324_thumb.jpg

The buffer beams were filed flat, and new ones made from 40 thou plasticard, and buffers from round head nails and plastic tube. All it needs now is an overall coat of pale unlined green and a good weathering.

• Like 18

Following this thread has caused me to look at my unfinished ironside project and subsequently fit the new chassis I had bought for it and then it even got a set of nameplates and now lives in my display cabinet. At least it now looks finished and runs pretty well.

IMG_2031_zps8ah240wz.jpg

Unfortunately I now had a spare Caledonian body left over and this thread is giving me plenty of ideas so now combined with a old L&Y Pug I planned to make a approximate model of the Hawthorn Leslie 0-4-0 Invincible having seen it on the Isle of Wight Railway. I spent a carefree morning with the razor saw then gluing and approximately placing parts and plasticard together and this is the result.

IMG_2032_zpsy0ic33zj.jpg

It's not going to be a perfect model of the prototype due to the limitations of the chassis but I hope to make something which captures the look and seems right to my eye.

A lot of filling, filing and fettling needed before I even start painting but thanks to this thread I've got another project on the go.

OliverSR

• Like 9

I've been playing around with a Hornby Caley pug taking it apart to see what can be done and noting measurements, working with different degrees of bodgery I think it would be possible to take 6.5mm out of the overall length and about 5mm out of the saddle tank bringing it down to an almost correct scale length. All these mods along with the possible chance of closing the wheel base up by about 4mm are all ultimately controlled/effected by one factor - that damn sprung motor mount.

Has any body worked out a way of holding the motor in place with out that spring and side plates it hooks on?

If one could dispense with that it would open up all sorts of possibility's to chop it all around. 

• RMweb Gold

Mr. Corbs, sir, on your esteemed new hyperthread, are On16.5 rebuilds allowed? and would Nellies and Desmonds be let through the door?

Yes why ever not, I was thinking of adding links to some 009 bashes as well.

I too wondered about Nellies and Desmonds, maybe I should extend the thread title?

Are the Bachmann starter locos allowed on?  Because I bashed one of those not so long ago. 

I've also got a Nellie and a couple of Pugs, Nellie is going to be sympthetically restored as I've a soft spot for her looks but I'm not decided yet on what to do with the saddle tanks. 

I think my aim with the theme of the thread was using cheap starter-set type locos to make interesting and unusual locos, so yes.

My goodness that's too sweet for its own good, I'm seriously tempted by an industrial micro layout or something,

stop STOP all of you this is all to much for me!

Hmm, the point is that a bit of nonsense is actually great fun. Really what better way to encourage new modellers to pick up a hacksaw and have a shot at building something without feeling that they must get it absolutely right because it all cost a fortune. 

Even happens to me..... Remember the triang dock shunter thingie ? Rebuilt to EM ,full cab detail,  DCC fitted, lighting rig, proper bearings and the exhaust is the screw to hold the body on. Runs down to walking pace. 

Why? It was a pound in a junk box, and I thought it was in need of some TLC. 

Absolutely, it's all great low risk practice. Most importantly, it's fun!

Hi - What a fascinating thread - I did not realise you could do so much with the cheap Hornby locos, so here is my take on  £5 "Bill" off the internet. All I needed was a razor saw and some plasticard. The body was removed from the chassis, and then separated from the cab. The saddle was then cut down the middle and 6mm of plastic removed in total before being glued back together. The chimney and dome were recovered from this section and cut out and filed to fit back on the saddle after it had been filed and sanded smooth. The foot plate was similarly cut and shut, before being reunited with the chassis. It looks like a big Port of Par shunter now.

The buffer beams were filed flat, and new ones made from 40 thou plasticard, and buffers from round head nails and plastic tube. All it needs now is an overall coat of pale unlined green and a good weathering.

Looks a great project! I'm glad this thread did its bit to help spur on the modelling mojo.

I know I might be starting to sound like a broken record here, but I can think of another way of using this concept to spur on people's modelling mojo.

Some people here - certainly some BRM readers - will have acquired one of Hornby's basic 0-4-0 offerings, as part of a subscription deal. With BRM's change of Editor - and RMweb's upcoming 12th "birthday" I'd have thought this might present an opportunity to encourage new entrants to the hobby to have a go at building something - and I don't see why more experienced modellers should be left out.

A number of people (me included) already have "starter locos" hidden away in a "stash", waiting for the right chance to make constructive use of them. The locos concerned might include - Hornby 0-4-0 locos - "Thomas" themed stuff - Bachmann "Junior" - Bachmann "Underground Ernie" - Roco "Hobby" - Hornby "Railroad" (plus some of their "main range" to a similar or lesser standard, such as their "Pacer" DMU) - most Lima offerings - plus lots of items offered over the years by other manufacturers.

A while back, I even copied and scaled some drawings off the internet, for an AGEIR 60 ton boxcab, which I was thinking of building onto a Bachmann "Underground Ernie" EMU chassis. I never built it - but I have "dusted off" the drawings a few times recently. Will it get built? Who knows - but it could certainly be workable.

In 2015, Andy York decided to celebrate 10 years of RMweb by running a "build a loco" challenge - pretty much any motive power - any scale. Since this challenge ended at the end of 2015, I haven't been aware of any official RMweb challenges.

I'd like the motive power challenge to reappear, preferably on a "rolling" basis (staying open from one year to the next - "the year it's built is the year it's entered") - but with new entry categories for beginners and everyone else, in which "starter locos" and plastic loco, rolling stock or road vehicle kits have a "starring role".

Of course, whether this actually happens is not for me to decide. However, in the absence of anything else, perhaps it might be an idea for this unofficial "starter model" bashing "challenge" to be officially "adopted". How about it?

Huw.

• Like 5

"However, in the absence of anything else, perhaps it might be an idea for this unofficial "starter model" bashing "challenge" to be officially "adopted". How about it?"

I think that's a cracking good idea.

If it was open to 'starter' loco bashes in any scale/gauge, so much the better. This would serve my own interests, because I'm now looking closely at a tatty old Hornby 0 gauge tinplate 0-4-0T, with tinsnips in hand!

Kevin

(Which should lay to rest the belief that I think this thread is a BAD idea, which one or two people seemed to draw from my attempt at humour in a previous posting!)

• Like 3

According to Wikipedia (ahem....) Rev Awdry built the first "Percy" model from scratch, using a Stewart Reidpath chassis; followed by a spare, or second "Percy" for exhibition use, built from a Triang "Nellie" and incorporating the tank, cylinders and various other items from an Airfix kit, which can only have been the L&Y Pug! This second "Percy" was fitted with finer wheels ... so it seems that "Percy" might be the ur-Pugbash from which all such models claim some measure of descent!

Sorry I'm behind with this reply. The wiki note isn't completely true.

When I was building my Ffarquhar branch, I researched the making of the original locos with a friend of mine. We came across an old advertisement on here for Larko's kits and there was a dockland loco kit shown which matched the features the original model had. it was mentioned somewhere that Percy was made from a kit with extra brass added. 

You can find that advert here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/76328-in-praise-of-industrials/page-3

The model only had to have the boiler shortened to get the smokebox to fit and then fitted with the chassis from SR. If you want I can message you some photos of the original model for you to compare.

The second model only had the cylinders from the pug kit and the basic Triang valve gear but the boiler was from the Kitmaster J94 as the Pug's one was too small. 

Again, sorry for the late reply.

Do these count as Nellieboshes?

Many years ago I wanted to have something that younger visitors to my layout could drive around and it didn't matter what happened to it. My answer was to modify a Triang Nellie/Polly/Connie into a sort of Thomas the Tank Engine groupie. I had two bodies, but only one of these had a chimney, with the other having been broken off at its base, so my solution was to cut the one good chimney half way down and donate the remains to the other body (more of which shortly). This chimney is now done as a short stovepipe style. I made a face for the smokebox front out of Milliput, then painted the whole thing in crimson, with red and gold lining. It still has its original Triang 'steam roller' wheels, but with the back to backs adjusted, it will run through the Peco code 100 points without protesting too much. It was unnamed but given an arbitrary number, and young guests were allowed to choose a name for it before running it. This one remains on DC analogue only.

Triang%20Nellie%20Bash%20-%203_zpscgq2hl

Triang%20Nellie%20Bash%20-%204_zpscxhm3l

Now to the other body, which is still a work in progress. I decided with this one that, just for fun, I would detail it up a bit, with separate handrails and other details, proper round cab spectacles, and so on. It has Romford wheels fitted, and the X04 motor has been refurbished using a neo-magnet, with a view to converting it to DCC in the near future. It will gain BR lined black and a fictitious running number in the SOuthern Region series.

There is no brake gear at all, so the undergear looks a little bare, but otherwise I am quite pleased with the way it is shaping up.

Triang%20Nellie%20Bash%20-%202_zpsssmvyd

Triang%20Nellie%20Bash%20-%201_zpsnfp9zt

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Looks smart! Clever work on the face as well.

Huw - Yes that's a good idea. A few years ago the 009 society had a competition where people built 'pugbashes' as its so close to 009's roots. In fact a lot of the creations that appear here are from that competition.

• Like 2