Show us your Pugbashes, Nellieboshes, Desmondifications, Jintysteins

Corbs

• RMweb Gold

More from the Craigcorrie and Dunalistair, No.11 'Greta'

http://www.009dutch.nl/cdr/main/eframe.htm

No. 11 Greta is a more recent (1991) representative of the simple conversion method I use, fitting an 00 gauge commercial body shell to an N gauge locomotive. Here, a shortened and narrowed Hornby saddle tank body was fitted to the Fleischmann 0-4-0 tank loco. A pony truck was added, resulting in an attractive 0-4-2ST. This smooth-running model was fitted with lights and a red LED in the firebox. The loco is mainly used in mixed or light goods service, or on station pilot duty at Dunalistair.

pict2065.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 12

This thread has me made keep looking at small German tank engines* on eBay for a 7mm narrow gauge bash. You are very bad people

*if you pick the right model they have smallish close together wheels and nice complicated outside valve gear, although some are a bit on the simplified side.

This would have done https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112340218618 but I'm still succeeding at resisting at the moment

Edited by Talltim
  • Like 3

This thread has me made keep looking at small German tank engines* on eBay for a 7mm narrow gauge bash. You are very bad people

*if you pick the right model they have smallish close together wheels and nice complicated outside valve gear, although some are a bit on the simplified side.

This would have done https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112340218618 but I'm still succeeding at resisting at the moment

Grrrrrrrrrr! Next time you have thoughts like that, keep them to yourself :nono:.

• RMweb Gold

This thread has me made keep looking at small German tank engines

… but I'm still succeeding at resisting at the moment

Grrrrrrrrrr! Next time you have thoughts like that, keep them to yourself :nono:.

I've also been looking at some small German locos - of the Köf2 variety. I wouldn't want to ruin them (for me, the original clsssic design's got a real charm) - but they've given me a few ideas for freelance bashes of cheap starter locos. Whether any of them get built is another matter.

Huw.

I'm a bit late to this, but here are some shots on a friend's layout of one I was working on about a year and a half ago. The genetics are a mix of Caley Pug smokebox, saddle tank and cab front, Nellie cab structure with cut down bunker, and Bachmann 03 chassis and running plate:

IMG_20150314_153758629_zpsf4ktzkzk.jpg

IMG_20150314_153854894_zpsa7dvou2u.jpg

The idea was that it would be a well established preserved line's society pet (perhaps being one of the first locos to arrive), used on light Winter loadings and out on hire to other local lines in the busier months. It's no closer to completion now; if anything it's taken a few steps back, as I removed the bufferbeam fittings with a view to preparing for painting. That seems like a slightly frightening concept after the time spent on the body, what with it being my first bodging project, which is probably why I've put it off for so long. It's now more likely to gain employment in an industrial setting, so I might take the opportunity to fit a sizeable set of buffers akin to those used on some examples of the relatively similar looking Avonside B3.

• Like 19

The body is a combination I'd thought of, but I'm too tight to buy a Bachmann chassis for it! For my planned layout it would probably need to run on a tramway, so I could hide any old chassis under skirts.

• RMweb Gold

Here's my very bashed (in more ways than one) pug from 35 years ago...

post-7355-0-71361000-1490650372_thumb.jpg

Picked up as a second hand item, I binned the body as I only wanted the chassis to build this 1101 class. It's been languishing in a box, sad to see it's lost it's chimney as I turned that up on my grandad's lathe, the very first thing I learned to turn. The body is all cardboard apart from the dome, not sure where that was from, and I think the smokebox door was made from balsa.

• Like 7
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

The idea was that it would be a well established preserved line's society pet (perhaps being one of the first locos to arrive), used on light Winter loadings and out on hire to other local lines in the busier months. It's no closer to completion now; if anything it's taken a few steps back, as I removed the bufferbeam fittings with a view to preparing for painting. That seems like a slightly frightening concept after the time spent on the body, what with it being my first bodging project, which is probably why I've put it off for so long. It's now more likely to gain employment in an industrial setting, so I might take the opportunity to fit a sizeable set of buffers akin to those used on some examples of the relatively similar looking Avonside B3.

It looks really good, but trust me, get it sanded and get some primer on it and you'll feel like finishing it. I'm always desperate to get paint on my cut and shuts as until then it looks like a combination of the component pieces. Primer reveals it as a whole loco :)

Do it, and report back to this thread.

Edited by Corbs

Hope I get this right!!

I have been reading this thread with much interest . Many many years ago when there were only two tv channels and Railway Modeller was in black and white I read an article about 'pug' bashing. I had some h/d 2 rail and was making additions by buying airfix kits , with saved up pocket money , from woolworths. Ofcourse I wanted them to move on their on and pleaded wit my parents that a kitmaster motorised wagon would be the answer. It was............................

• Like 1

All tis time reading this thread and only now just remembered one of my first locos was a pug bash, originally a Hornby pug in Caledonian blue which put a new cab on and lengthened the chimney to make it O16.5 for my previous, now scrapped layout

February 2011

post-9948-0-48274500-1490978722.jpg

April 2011, the saddle was extended to the footplate FR England style but had to leave a gap for the motor clip

post-9948-0-58286100-1490978804.jpg

May 2012, the cab front was moved back and a firebox top was added with safety valve and whistle

post-9948-0-92510700-1490978867_thumb.jpg

December 2012, i started from scratch with a new side tank body and proper motion

post-9948-0-88706000-1490979088_thumb.jpg

post-9948-0-32070900-1490979093_thumb.jpg

And July 2013, the pug chassis was replaced with a Bachmann Percy, everything on the chassis had to be cut back to the bare minimum to fit the body, like all the gears for the eye movement and the motor housing was cut down

post-9948-0-48141800-1490979319_thumb.jpg

post-9948-0-52426600-1490979322_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

Moving on a few years and whilst peering in a shop window spied a 'two for one spares or repairs' pair of sad looking Dapol pugs and after a light bulb moment bought them to replace the unpowered airfix ones.Pivots are made from a couple of rivets and bits of brass tube and will negotiate set track

• Like 2

And compononent parts - centre triang trestrol cut and shunt ,  fitted with swivel pins at either end to fit into tubes fitted at the inner ends of each chassis. The motor was removed from the vertical and fitted upright with a fishing sinker weight bashed to fit covered over with a redesigned Airfix B o B tender top . I could n't help but notice that the front water tank and rear tender are still all held together with a blu tack type substance

.post-25680-0-35299300-1491065049_thumb.jpg

• Like 13