Show us your Pugbashes, Nellieboshes, Desmondifications, Jintysteins

Corbs

post-17261-0-37041800-1531218948_thumb.jpgpost-17261-0-03273500-1531218985_thumb.jpgI can't stop!!!

Following on from getting cheap Electroen 0-6-0s. Woke up early this morning after a damn good night's sleep  and this thought popped into my head!!

Just the chassis on a spare green Polly body I've had in the 'Collection' for about 40years!!!

I think it looks 'Right Hard!!'

I know I said , in a previous post, all I want to do is play trains whilst doing chemo and trying to work as normally as possible, but my mind won't let me!!!!!

Something else to add to the massive collection of 'Stuff to Do!'

Perhaps I should start a thread on 

'Who's got the biggest pile of stuff!!!!!!'

C.

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

attachicon.gifIMG_20180710_112717.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_20180710_112915.jpgI can't stop!!!

Following on from getting cheap Electroen 0-6-0s. Woke up early this morning after a damn good night's sleep  and this thought popped into my head!!

Just the chassis on a spare green Polly body I've had in the 'Collection' for about 40years!!!

I think it looks 'Right Hard!!'

I know I said , in a previous post, all I want to do is play trains whilst doing chemo and trying to work as normally as possible, but my mind won't let me!!!!!

Something else to add to the massive collection of 'Stuff to Do!'

Perhaps I should start a thread on 

'Who's got the biggest pile of stuff!!!!!!'

C.

That looks really good. To my eye it's a more convincing freelance industrial than Nellie in original form. Probably runs better too, t least at the all-important shunting speeds.

That looks really good. To my eye it's a more convincing freelance industrial than Nellie in original form. Probably runs better too, t least at the all-important shunting speeds.

Thank you.

Yes, it runs beautifully.

I am not DCC and I use old, should it be Classic? controllers!

To wit H&Ms.

All of the 0-6-0s I have run well. As I have posted, I am aware of the problems some of us have had with these locos. The chassis is very lightly made and the motor tiny, by necessity. You wouldn't run it continuously for ages on a big train! Then again, why would you?

I will, when finances permit, lay in a stock if I can find them. I haven't even seen what they look like with just a coupling rod and inside cylinders. That will come!!

The Nellie body is a lovely moulding.

The detail of the steam feed to the injectors on top of the firebox and the injectors themselves is marvellous for it's age.

The skirts will go and a barrel will be done.

Handrails and the aformentioned fittings will be detailed.

Now we get to the 'Anal Bits!!'

Should there be a cutout or inspection hatch in the tank to oil the inside motion?

There will be inside motion for the 0-6-0.

That is before we start on chimney, safety valves, domes, whistle and buffers and buffer beams!!

I must thank Corbs and The Alchemist for getting me back into this stuff!!

I used to build aeroplanes when I had 'The Block' now I do this!!!

C.

• Like 4

Thank you.

Yes, it runs beautifully.

I am not DCC and I use old, should it be Classic? controllers!

To wit H&Ms.

All of the 0-6-0s I have run well. As I have posted, I am aware of the problems some of us have had with these locos. The chassis is very lightly made and the motor tiny, by necessity. You wouldn't run it continuously for ages on a big train! Then again, why would you?

I will, when finances permit, lay in a stock if I can find them. I haven't even seen what they look like with just a coupling rod and inside cylinders. That will come!!

The Nellie body is a lovely moulding.

The detail of the steam feed to the injectors on top of the firebox and the injectors themselves is marvellous for it's age.

The skirts will go and a barrel will be done.

Handrails and the aformentioned fittings will be detailed.

Now we get to the 'Anal Bits!!'

Should there be a cutout or inspection hatch in the tank to oil the inside motion?

There will be inside motion for the 0-6-0.

That is before we start on chimney, safety valves, domes, whistle and buffers and buffer beams!!

I must thank Corbs and The Alchemist for getting me back into this stuff!!

I used to build aeroplanes when I had 'The Block' now I do this!!!

C.

You're very much welcome mate!

It is very nice, but there are/were industrials actually relatively similar to the original Nellie:

post-33750-0-26013600-1531227073.jpg

This is Workington Iron & Steel Co. No.26, a Peckett and Co. side tank named Mill Grove, one of two identical engines working in the same yard (the other being No.39 Bristowe Hill.) My own slightly modified Nellie, No.1 Bulldog (which I featured on this thread earlier) is run under the guise of being something similar, only with a cab rebuild by the KLR's own in-house workshops. Not an exact match for Nellie but not that far off when you look at it.

Edited by RedGemAlchemist
  • Like 4

You're very much welcome mate!

It is very nice, but there are/were industrials actually relatively similar to the original Nellie:

attachicon.gifMill Grove.jpg

This is Workington Iron & Steel Co. No.26, a Peckett and Co. side tank named "Mill Grove". My own slightly modified Nellie, No.1 Bulldog (which I featured on this thread earlier) is run under the guise of being something similar, only with a cab rebuild by the KLR's own in-house workshops.

Ah, I knew there was an engine like Nellie!

There is a photo in the excellent David & Charles industrial locomotives book from the 70's.

That is a far clearer shot.

C.

Firstly Thanks to Corbs for finding and sharing my 0-6-0 build pics a few pages back, (october2017!!!)

Here are a few of mine, mainly just repaints into London Brick red of available locos, like the two fireless loco's and Hornby J94.

However the Bachmann Percy has had quite some work, new dome, funnel, smoke box door and the cab has been blanked off as al the wiring was showing through.

post-6736-0-11842000-1531234758_thumb.jpg

post-6736-0-84518900-1531234763_thumb.jpg

post-6736-0-97553000-1531234770_thumb.jpg

post-6736-0-82237400-1531234776_thumb.jpg

post-6736-0-91363700-1531234801_thumb.jpg

The reworked Percy

• Like 11

Firstly Thanks to Corbs for finding and sharing my 0-6-0 build pics a few pages back, (october2017!!!)

Here are a few of mine, mainly just repaints into London Brick red of available locos, like the two fireless loco's and Hornby J94.

However the Bachmann Percy has had quite some work, new dome, funnel, smoke box door and the cab has been blanked off as al the wiring was showing through.

attachicon.gifdiesel gala april 2015 574.JPG

attachicon.gifdiesel gala april 2015 575.JPG

attachicon.gifdiesel gala april 2015 577.JPG

attachicon.gifdiesel gala april 2015 623.JPG

attachicon.gifdiesel gala april 2015 576.JPG

The reworked Percy

Wow, that Bachmann Percy rework is brilliant! Being the lover of industrial tank engines I am I'd love to work on one of them myself, but they're always very scarce not only in shops but also online... at least at a reasonable price that makes bashing it worthwhile.

Wow, that Bachmann Percy rework is brilliant! Being the lover of industrial tank engines I am I'd love to work on one of them myself, but they're always very scarce not only in shops but also online... at least at a reasonable price that makes bashing it worthwhile.

This is why I really hope Bachmann takes over the UK Thomas licence from Hornby. I can think of a dozen uses for the Percy chassis alone.

Well done Dan excellent work. They are all super detailed and unified into one house style livery.

The Bachmann Percy, how have you found the chassis,it is very wide over the buffers and valve gear, does this give you trouble on your layout with clearance runing past track side objects?

I've been flaffing around for ages trying to fix a Hornby Caledonian Pug body onto a Percy chassis and have ground to a halt with cylinders width problems.

• RMweb Gold

Well done Dan excellent work. They are all super detailed and unified into one house style livery.

I think that's what I like most, the fleet livery that brings them all together.

• Like 1

This is why I really hope Bachmann takes over the UK Thomas licence from Hornby. I can think of a dozen uses for the Percy chassis alone.

Me, too. I used a Bachmann Robinson J11 model to make James as it resembles his real-life basis, the L&YR Class 28. Replacing the tender body, extending the running board and fitting a pony truck and there you go!

• Like 1

attachicon.gifdiesel gala april 2015 574.JPG

attachicon.gifdiesel gala april 2015 575.JPG

attachicon.gifdiesel gala april 2015 577.JPG

attachicon.gifdiesel gala april 2015 623.JPG

attachicon.gifdiesel gala april 2015 576.JPG

The reworked Percy

What I like about these is that the modifications to the Bachmann diesel and Percy bring them very much in line, stylistically, with the fireless engines. It makes them look like they've all been modified by the same workshop.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

After a long break I have returned to planning my 009 Pugbash, I would love to get some opinions from people here before proceeding any further.

So far it has;

Received a chassis (GraFar Castle IIRC)

Chimney replaced

Boiler has been extended

Moulded handrails removed

Cab replaced with one taken from a Bachmann Skarloey

Coal bunker added at rear

Any thoughts or tips would be greatly appreciated!!

Gary

post-22762-0-99476300-1532208223_thumb.jpg

post-22762-0-79368700-1532208236_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Here is my latest Pugbash. Though really it's a multi-starter-tank-bash...

post-33750-0-60683100-1532463080_thumb.jpg

Introducing KLR No.11 Richard, heavily inspired by Corbs and made from a Caley Pug, a Dowlais D, a Nellie, the cylinders from a Triang Princess, a kit for a GER six-wheel tender and a piece of plastic tubing.

• Like 11

Here is my latest Pugbash. Though really it's a multi-starter-tank-bash...

attachicon.gifNo.11.jpg

Introducing KLR No.11 Richard, heavily inspired by Corbs and made from a Caley Pug, a Dowlais D, a Nellie, the cylinders from a Triang Princess, a kit for a GER six-wheel tender and a piece of plastic tubing.

Neat little model! It reminds me of Percy the Small Engine!

• 2 weeks later...

Or the owner really really wanted a pre grouping style tender engine .

How about this as a Pugbash, converting an Austerity saddle tank into a tender engine?

It has already been done in 1:1 scale as a RTR pugbashing modification with the saddle tank converted to tender loco 2890 which was on branch line duty at GCR Ruddington near Nottingham on Sunday, a charming little modification job. Is it possible to do a 4mm version of this with the new DJ Austerity J94 saddle tank?

P1010023a.JPG

First converted from an engine that had been used for combustion experiments it had a single level footplate and had a very square look. Later it was changed again to have a slight step down in the front footplate which gives a more pleasing look.

In a serious note does this indicate that the stock of heritage loco's are wearing out and now it's easier to build from new or re-purpose more recent stuff like the austerity? I also cite the case of the

It'll be a while before I get around to making a chassis for the contractors loco, so today I made a start on a second pugbash, looking loosely like an early Hughes Falcon

attachicon.gifIMG_20180707_175408.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_20180707_175532.jpg

I'd love to see you bring both of these to fruition.

What are you using for the copper chimney tops?