Show us your Pugbashes, Nellieboshes, Desmondifications, Jintysteins

Corbs

• RMweb Premium

Just started to work on a Hornby 'railroad' 0-4-0. Anyone else had a go at using this loco for a kit bash?

Removing the cab instantly gives it an antique air. But the long smokebox isn't very 19th century. At this point it looks as if it would make a nice model of a freelance 7 1/4" gauge engine. The proportions of these can sometimes look a little weird!

Just started to work on a Hornby 'railroad' 0-4-0. Anyone else had a go at using this loco for a kit bash?attachicon.gifimage.jpegattachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Have to say, that just looks odd. Throw away the 0-4-0 chassis, I think... that, or fit a much larger body and outside cylinders and slide valve chests, to take advantage of the otherwise unnecessary length. I could see that chassis under one of those brutal-looking American 0-4-0ST https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EgLRSkRioRA

Have to say, that just looks odd. Throw away the 0-4-0 chassis, I think... that, or fit a much larger body and outside cylinders and slide valve chests, to take advantage of the otherwise unnecessary length. I could see that chassis under one of those brutal-looking American 0-4-0ST https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EgLRSkRioRA

Yeesh. That IS a brute.

• 2 weeks later...

.I really wished they could release the other kits from Kitmaster :'(

In theory, not too difficult. As long as unmade Kitmaster kits exist, it ought to be possible to use the unmade kit to create a new set of mouldings.

The issue is that injection moulds do not come cheap, and therefore the finance has to be available to do so (and a reasonable expectation that there will be sufficient sales to recoup that investment).

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Southcoast,

Seeing the above, two of them might well build up into a reasonable looking Fairlie type.

Gibbo.

From where I'm sitting the Double Fairlie is the Holy Grail of pugbashing.

If one starts with the Hornby Holden, then it'll require some butchery to the back of the two chassis to bring them close together. Otherwise they'll be miles apart, and therefore at crazy angles on tight curves.

Tom

On 11/04/2018 at 15:41, Barclay said:

Then here's my even older Pug from when I was 12 or 13, awaiting shortening and conversion to a proper industrial Neilson.

attachicon.gifWP_20180410_17_47_26_Pro.jpg

I might have to start this one next, you have all inspired me to get stuck in!

Just as a follow up, and for those who don't read the Standard Gauge Industrial section (shame on you!), here's how it turned out. For the gory details please refer to my thread, Neilson 0-4-0ST in EM gauge. (Sorry no idea how to create a link)

233918403_Photo6-Copy.jpg.743304ceebcd2231aee1e44c543e3928.jpg

Edited by Barclay
  • Like 10

And how's this for a co-incidence? The drawings for the Neilson pug (Well the North British version) were in Model Railway News for October 1967 - look what was on the page before:

IMG_20180926_0004.jpg.f10a2086cfd1a4bb78a9ba2bebd73a16.jpg

Any takers?

Edited by Barclay
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Just as a follow up, and for those who don't read the Standard Gauge Industrial section (shame on you!), here's how it turned out. For the gory details please refer to my thread, Neilson 0-4-0ST in EM gauge. (Sorry no idea how to create a link)

attachicon.gifWP_20180921_21_12_25_Pro.jpg

Utterly gorgeous.  I've just been reading the main thread; I have a few Caley Pugs and spare bodies and may not be this extreme with them but you've given me plenty of pointers.  Maybe it's the change of "face" but altering the smokebox door goes a long way to disguising the humble origins.

Just a quick update. I have extended the boiler and taken the safety valves of an old engine to use. I have also brought some paint to spray it with when ready. It may have been silly choosing a blue colour. 'Look mummy here comes thomas!' Says every kid who will see it!

post-30749-0-79023800-1538817284_thumb.jpeg

Edited by TJC05
  • Like 5

I could'nt resist it an Airfix/Dapol pug for a quid in a rummage box at a toy fair.

It is missing coupling rods and valve gear and painted in thick maroon paint, looks like I got my moneys worth of paint.

Perhaps I can rework it to make a static model and in an attempt to make the profile a little less obviously a

LYR loco I started to rework the cab, change its profile.

By cutting away the cab sides a little to make it narrower it quickley looks a lot different from th efront or back but from the side still the same so now I'm reducing the cab length, thats moving the front spectical plate nearer the back one. I've reached the point of no return here.

post-6220-0-26883000-1538925741_thumb.jpg

post-6220-0-66585200-1538926282_thumb.jpg

A Beyer Peacock at the Foxfield Railway.

Some more pugs half bashed.

post-6220-0-18072000-1538925773_thumb.jpg

Edited by relaxinghobby
  • Like 9

Inspired by Barclay's rebuild of a pug, I have got one to have a bash at myself.

post-494-0-50091200-1539113559.jpg

Ebay purchase for £7.35 inc. postage.

post-494-0-66603400-1539113617.jpg

It's not going to be as accurate as Barclay's. For one thing I can't be bothered / don't want to risk wrecking the tank, so I've made just one cut to shorten it. This has left the dome set back and the tank filler still at the (wrong) same end as Hornby put it.

Smokebox shortened and the door handles and star-shaped moulding sanded off. Cab chopped about, sanded and given a thin layer of plasticard on top.. New plasticard firebox wrapper that is more to size but still not accurate. But then if I was going to make it all accurate I'd scratchbuild everything as there's not a single dimension on the Hornby model that measures up to the prototype drawing. The thing is just to make something cheap and cheerful that looks and runs better than the original model.

• Like 7

New running plate, buffer beams and buffer blocks made.

post-494-0-62093900-1539434483.jpg

Branchlines chassis under construction and trial fit of High Level gearbox. The motor is a tiny thing from China. It has the same dimensions as a Mashima 10/15 but cost a fraction of the price.

post-494-0-37287100-1539434602.jpg

• Like 6

A bit more done, this evening. New smokebox door and hinges, scratched from brass. Turned handrail knobs and brass wire handrail added.

post-494-0-78038000-1539457379.jpg

It's deliberately a quite flat door and won't have central handles. Instead there will be 4 handles around the edge of the door, as seen on one or two industrial versions.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

I am enjoying reading this thread, I do hope it is ok to interrupt Ruston's progress with my own effort. This engine arrived in the post today. This evening I removed the cylinders and changed the cab. For 00 it needs new buffer beams and for H0 it needs 1 or 2 mm off the height of the cab, but I like the new look so far.

- Richard.

post-14389-0-48936200-1539634987_thumb.jpg

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1

G'Day Folks

I've put this one on my thread, but not everyone will have seen it, or the new one.

The J17 is converted from a Tri-Ang 3F, with a B12 cab and tender.

The other is a Robinson B1, on a Flying Scotsman chassis.

manna

post-19471-0-67352800-1539643435.jpg

post-19471-0-09995600-1539643464.jpg

post-19471-0-86981300-1539643490.jpg

post-19471-0-48800600-1539643544.jpg

• Like 10

I am enjoying reading this thread, I do hope it is ok to interrupt Ruston's progress with my own effort. This engine arrived in the post today. This evening I removed the cylinders and changed the cab. For 00 it needs new buffer beams and for H0 it needs 1 or 2 mm off the height of the cab, but I like the new look so far.

- Richard.

attachicon.gifDSCF8332.jpg

I've just completed something similar, though I wasn't brave enough to remove the cylindars (I thought it might look a bit front heavy as the first wheel set looked a little too set-back in my eyes, but I evidently should have just gone for it looking at your loco!) Like you I replaced the cab (a Dapol pug if I remember correctly), and added a dome and safety valve cover using stuff from the spares box. It tidies up rather well considering it's a Spanish HO shunter!

post-19778-0-08636500-1539699095_thumb.jpg

post-19778-0-51901700-1539699100_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

I've just completed something similar, though I wasn't brave enough to remove the cylindars (I thought it might look a bit front heavy as the first wheel set looked a little too set-back in my eyes, but I evidently should have just gone for it looking at your loco!) Like you I replaced the cab (a Dapol pug if I remember correctly), and added a dome and safety valve cover using stuff from the spares box. It tidies up rather well considering it's a Spanish HO shunter!

attachicon.gifDSC_0401.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_0403.JPG

It looks good to me too. I must think of an imaginative colour for mine, something other than black.

The cylinders come off quite easily as long as you are happy to destroy them in the process. You need to remove them as a pair and then cut them off their mounting plate (which joins them together) so this plate can go back onto the model to support the front end of the body. The difficult bit for me was the rear part of the crank pin on the centre wheel. It seems to be locked solid into the wheel, I ended up squashing it over the side rod and grinding it down to look flat. My chassis runs more freely without its cylinders, but the model was second hand.

With the cylinders removed you can see there is no brake on the front wheels, but to me the loco looks a lot better. I need to remove the steam pipes beside the smoke box, and I am now trying to make a smaller cab using parts from the Airfix pug kit. This is slightly smaller than the Hornby/Dapol cab.

- Richard.

Edited by 47137

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gifDSC_0401.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_0403.JPG

I think it looks good with cylinders :)