Show us your Pugbashes, Nellieboshes, Desmondifications, Jintysteins

Corbs

Here’s a minor bash for New Ankh. I wanted a careworn mid-Victorian locomotive that I could also use on other layouts. It’s just a Hornby Holden tank with a cut back cab and the copper cap replaced with the cap from a Rocket kit. It’s nothing fancy, but it looks the part. Just needs a crew now.

EDIT: Yikes, I didn't realise how big these photos were. Sorry chaps.

CDF60866-3F45-45DC-8615-92F4BC43D5D4.jpeg

252FDF19-A69E-4C80-9D46-FA6C210AB3EC.jpeg

Edited by HonestTom
  • Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/03/2019 at 19:21, Ruston said:

That's probably the best bash of one of those pugs that I've seen. I would never have guessed that's what it started out as.

Thank you. I'm very pleased that you like it. I have to admit there wasn't much Caley Pug superstructure left by the time I'd finished. About this much:

IMG_1421.jpg.7590a559c02910fb51f9e9177431c792.jpg

IMG_1429.jpg.c1fc47de190712e95327dc67fe535349.jpg

Edited by Tullygrainey
  • Informative/Useful 1

8 hours ago, Tullygrainey said:

Another bash of the long suffering Hornby Caledonian Pug. This is NCC Class N 0-4-0ST Number 16, built in 1914 by the LMS Northern Counties Committee in Belfast's York Road works. It shunted the Belfast harbour lines for most of its life and passed eventually to the Ulster Transport Authority who took it out of service in 1951.

P3101895.jpg.909516b5a674cdbbd60bd4a40325aa9e.jpg

Pictures etc. of the prototype:

here,  here   and  here

Mods to the crosshead/slidebars were done with advice gleaned from this thread - see Stringfingerling's post of 4 May 2018.

A scratch build would've been more accurate but then...

a) that would have been beyond me, and

b) it wouldn't be a Pugbash would it?

Alan

Hi Alan,

The slide-bars make all the difference to the chassis and that is not to ignore the work on the superstructure !

Gibbo.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 14/04/2019 at 12:58, ianofsklr said:

I have been using a Hornby Caledonian pug for the running plate and saddle tank, and Nellie for the cab and smoke box (chimney had long gone). 

I am am hoping to fit it on to a Bachmann Greg chassis and I want to make it DCC. The Greg I bought had had the chip removed so I thought a Hornby Peckett decoder would be nice and small so it would fit inside my new loco body.

I need to do some soldering to put it all together and I thought I knew how to do it, but the more I look about it the more confused I get. How might you wire it together? You might even suggest a different decoder, perhaps even the original decoder for Greg if I can find one to buy.

(Body is not properly mounted which is why it looks wonky).

Looking good!

The simplest way to hardwire a decoder is to dispense with any extra circuit boards and solder the decoder wires directly to motor and pickups. With a standard 8 pin decoder, this would be red and black to the pickups, orange and grey to the motor. I've never used a Hornby 4 pin decoder so I'm not sure if the same colours apply. Anyone?

Alan

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Tullygrainey said:

Looking good!

The simplest way to hardwire a decoder is to dispense with any extra circuit boards and solder the decoder wires directly to motor and pickups. With a standard 8 pin decoder, this would be red and black to the pickups, orange and grey to the motor. I've never used a Hornby 4 pin decoder so I'm not sure if the same colours apply. Anyone?

Alan

Remember to disconnect the pickups from the motor first though, otherwise you will put a DCC signal on the wrong side of the chip and fry it! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 14/04/2019 at 12:58, ianofsklr said:

I have been using a Hornby Caledonian pug for the running plate and saddle tank, and Nellie for the cab and smoke box (chimney had long gone). 

I am am hoping to fit it on to a Bachmann Greg chassis and I want to make it DCC. The Greg I bought had had the chip removed so I thought a Hornby Peckett decoder would be nice and small so it would fit inside my new loco body.

I need to do some soldering to put it all together and I thought I knew how to do it, but the more I look about it the more confused I get. How might you wire it together? You might even suggest a different decoder, perhaps even the original decoder for Greg if I can find one to buy.

(Body is not properly mounted which is why it looks wonky).

image.jpg

image.jpg

Just an observation here but that doesn't seem to be plausible in the real world. 0-4-0 tank engines tend to have the firebox behind the rear axle, whereas yours has it in front, so the valve gear would have to somehow run off the front axle as you haven't got any outside valve gear. There's a large overhang from the front axle to the front of the loco and so it would have far too much weight over the front axle as the firebox being behind the rear axle usually balances out the weight of the cylinders at the front end on engines with a short wheelbase. With the boiler ending where it joins the cab it leaves the cab looking far too spacious for any practical purpose.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

41 minutes ago, ianofsklr said:

I am a bit out of my depth with axles and firebox positions, but I will give it some thought. I am thinking I might move the chassis as far forwards as I can and possibly reduce the cab or the bunker to increase the distance between the firebox and the rear axle. I might revisit an earlier idea to make it an 0-4-2.

I was planning to use Greg's cylinders - would this help with the imbalance that you suggest would happen with the large overhang? 

It's the cylinders that contribute to the imbalance in your design. In the real world they are heavy and the firebox being outside the wheelbase at the other end would balance that weight out but your design has the firebox between the axles. I agree that an 0-4-2 would be a better idea. Below is a rough rearrangement of your photo.

smokeyjoe.jpg.fe8aceb7bb2019980ae19b8d2200aeeb.jpg

I've moved the cab forward and shortened the saddle tank and have also shortened the overall length by shortening the running plate. Now all of the firebox would be inside the cab and behind the rear axle (the white part of what was the firebox, in front of the cab, is now a tank support). The chassis that you want to use is now right up to the front and there is a set of wheels under the cab, which carry the weight of the long overhang at the rear.

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I had a similar issue when I used almost exactly the same components to build an 0-4-0ST :)

What I ended up doing was shortening it by chopping out the straight section of bunker and the area of cab in front of the cut-out to help reduce the overhang. I used a slightly shorter wheelbase chassis but still has big overhangs front and rear.

It's not 100% but if I squint I can pretend the firebox is just behind the axle ;)

fullsizeoutput_25fb.jpeg.e1c4db957fcb947086b03803280df527.jpeg

• Like 5

Does anyone know which issue of Railway Modeller contained the article where someone used a Nellie body on an 0-6-0 chassis? It was in the last 2 or 3 years.

Edited by Ruston

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, Ruston said:

Does anyone know which issue of Railway Modeller contained the article where someone used a Nellie body on an 0-6-0 chassis? It was in the last 2 or 3 years.

It was in the May 2018 edition 

• Thanks 1

Can I join the party?

Nelliebosh-003.jpg.1b5900c9e8f605fba339f09237e78078.jpg

I was looking for a Nelllie, or 7178 but the huge dome on this one has a certain charm about it.

Nelliebosh-002.jpg.1deb323aafc1a6201ca6309db7bc9769.jpg

As it's a body only I have to work out the ride height, so here it is propped up on card supports to match a decent RTR wagon. In this case a Bachmann model of a standard 1923 pattern RCH coal wagon. Now to work out what to put under it...

• Like 7

3 hours ago, RedGemAlchemist said:

I thought about turning mine into an 0-4-2T at one point before deciding to leave it as is. You could try that. 

You must have read my mind. 

I've been looking through my box of bits and have found a chimney, a toolbox, a Westinghouse brake pump and a whistle for the project. I have also found a gearbox and have several motors to choose from. I just have to get some wheels and make the frames.

nelliebosh-4.jpg.2b601fb8b6f8f21a7b25f6c14f1fdf76.jpg

Handrails filed off the smokebox, cab doors/handrails sawed and filed away, bunker hollowed out and the edge filed to a curve, lamp irons filed off the bunker rear and the hole in the rear given some plastic filler.

• Like 8

Chopping out the insides.

nelliebosh-5.jpg.205fdf80c78b249d051a1c9ad3b68c61.jpg

There was an annoying moulding lump under the boiler, and a tube poking out from the bottom of the dome that have been scraped away. I had hoped that the dome would be removable, so I could take it off and preserve it from accidental damage but although it is a seperate part it is firmly glued on. Around the doors the cab wall was double thickness, so this has been filed down. The saw cuts near the front are the start of cutting out the lower part of the smokebox as the moulding here will otherwise foul the new wheels.

Frames.

nelliebosh-6.jpg.d8b733ead4d383f778cf608dc2ad6729.jpg

38 thou. thick brass, with 1/16th brass stretchers, soldered together. The gearbox is an unknown and the motor is one of those Chinese Mirsumi things, bought from ebay for under a pound. It's soldered on to the gearbox as the holes in the 'box and motor don't match. Even if they did I don't have any screws.

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

3 hours ago, ianofsklr said:

I fitted some handrails and I will fit buffers and a smoke box dart, all from Phoenix Paints (and I am thankful for good customer service). I have also been filling and filing, and therefore it currently looks a bit scruffy. 

I did wire up the decoder, and it did work but then the black wire on the decoder came out and although I soldered  it back in it doesn’t work at the moment. 

I decided not not to shorten the loco but I turned the chassis around and I will fit a 9F front pony truck on to the rear of my chassis to make it an 0-4-2. I think that the 9F wheels are about the right size, being smaller than the wheels from Greg, so I am looking out for one of those.image.jpg.bd028d97e10822d53a612a2bde113826.jpg 

Halfords don’t do a very purple spray (like the picture) but they do do some very dark blues which are my current favourite, that or a turquoise colour. I wanted to have something unusual.

1E6DB35F-2EE2-4EEE-AC25-F41E66B2BF35.png

Hmm. You don't see many 0-4-2 saddle tanks. I'm interested to see how it goes.

Intriguingly, the Revd Awdry's Mid Sodor Light Railway 'had' a Kerr Stuart, a Falcon and a Baldwin which only appeared in a couple of illustrations in 'Duke The Lost Engine' as a stationary boiler but which Awdry had apparently invented a backstory for as part of 'The Island of Sodor - Its People, History and Railways', where it was called 'Stanley'! I'd always assumed it was a side tank, but perhaps it was one of these?

Nellie boshed some more.

Nelliebosh2-003.jpg.7f99d86c850931df865bb186fb9fe87c.jpg

Driving rods made from Nickel Silver. I cut the boiler section out in order to make the removal of the toolboxes easier. This done I really couldn't put it back without having light under the high-pitched boiler, so some 1.5mm thick styrene sheet was cut into a strip and dunked in boiling water, clamped around a tube. The boiling water allows it to retain its shape after it has cooled. A piece was cut off and spliced in to the original boiler barrel (inset photo).

Cutting the boiler, using a razor saw, on the boiler band meant that I not only lost the band but lost about 60 thou, length from the cuts, so the ring was fixed with MEK to a sheet of plasticard and cut and filed inside and out, with the outside standing proud to now become the new boiler band.

Nelliebosh2-006.jpg.ab2eeebee57e11cf55c8859a808ec1b9.jpg

Chunks of styrene fixed to the body, using MEK, drilled for self-tapping screws to hold the frames to the body. The plasticard frame plate is drilled ready for the tedious fitting of lots of tiny lengths of styrene rod as rivets.

Nelliebosh2-008.jpg.c78d39b2af51a38dc85da87e717b7764.jpg

Hand rail across the smokebox front carefully filed off and holes for brass posts drilled. Smokebox door handle detail filed off. Boiler refitted and splasher trial-fitted but not yet fixed. I won't fit the splasher properly until I have wheels and can check the clearances. The proper circular boiler now means that I can't use the motor and gearbox that I intended to use as it won't fit at all on the front axle now and the motor is too large to fit in the smokebox if I powered the centre axle. Ah well, back to the drawing board on that one...

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Ruston said:

Iowlais Iron Co. Class D as it should be. Cut n shut body, new frames wheels and motor, Bachmann buffers, brass wire handrails and custom etched plates by Narrow Planet. It really needs lining but that's beyond my skillset.

KGV2.jpg.b1ceed23a5ffcb93e5796bd67d808858.jpg

KGV1.jpg.170932cb80c135ff8c90e16c0fb0f061.jpg

I'm looking for the keyhole on this one...

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2