Show us your Pugbashes, Nellieboshes, Desmondifications, Jintysteins

Corbs

18 hours ago, Ruston said:

Fear not! It's all coming back together. The boiler and smokebox have been lowered by about 1.5mm and the smokebox has been moved back by the same distance. New smokebox door made from plasticard and the toolboxes and sandboxes chopped out. New sandboxes and splashers to go in next. It is going to be loosely based on a prototype but I don't think anyone will recognise it at this stage.

Nelliebosh7-3.jpg.c8d31bd85764066a3b85c87b51c3af04.jpg

I'll have a guess at the prototype! Marquis? Manning Wardle 0-6-0t (MW 227 of 1867)

Manning Wardle 0-6-0t 'Marquis' (MW 227 of 1867 (2).jpg

• Like 7

On 15/05/2019 at 11:20, BackRoomBoffin said:

I reckon that's a GER Johnson 0-4-2T or 0-6-0T.

https://www.gersociety.org.uk/index.php/locomotives/sw-johnson/t7

I reckon you're right. Obviously not an exact model of but, as I said, based on.

Nelliebosh7-4.jpg.f162110ce0aa4a8af429d94d5cc55335.jpg

Weatherboards are made from plasticard, as are the valances and splashers. The whitemetal chimney is something that I was given a while ago and the Johnson style dome/safety valve cover, also whitemetal, was bought at York Exhibition.

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

8 hours ago, Ruston said:

I reckon you're right. Obviously not an exact model of but, as I said, based on.

Weatherboards are made from plasticard, as are the valances and splashers. The whitemetal chimney is something that I was given a while ago and the Johnson style dome/safety valve cover, also whitemetal, was bought at York Exhibition.

That is cute. I like that very much. Great work as always.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

I once came across a magazine article of many years ago describing the use of an American plastic O gauge* kit for a Baldwin mogul to build one of the ones the Midland bought in 1898-9, title "Casey Johnson". Well, here's to "Nellie Johnson"!

*I state gauge rather than scale since I think the American kit would have been at 1/4 in /ft - the slightly smaller scale was probably an advantage in the conversion.

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, Ruston said:

This little beauty raises the gentle art of Nellieboshing to a whole new level....I love it!

• Agree 5

14 hours ago, Ruston said:

How do you get such a superb smooth finish from your undercoating?

Not too much progress since my first post on this thread nearly 2 years ago. Cab shortened (I think too much - the driver will need to be quite slim!), radiator grille reduced in size,  bufferbeams and buffers added, and the section between the front bufferbeam and the bonnet shortened. It is in a coat of primer to show up any blemishes. Still needs cab doors, handrails, a chimney, general tidying plus a coat of something garish.

2C7D2664-631B-4B1C-A7FC-9B2170BD52C4.jpeg

6789FA5B-39FB-45B4-A4AC-2660C547D5E4.jpeg

F3CBA969-F54E-4F78-A001-8A04CE1A36FB.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, forest2807 said:

Not too much progress since my first post on this thread nearly 2 years ago. Cab shortened (I think too much - the driver will need to be quite slim!), radiator grille reduced in size,  bufferbeams and buffers added, and the section between the front bufferbeam and the bonnet shortened. It is in a coat of primer to show up any blemishes. Still needs cab doors, handrails, a chimney, general tidying plus a coat of something garish.

Thank you - yours was the model that got me to start my own Anglicised Plymouth production line.  The reduced radiator area really helps, doesn't it?  The most advanced one is going to be either British Steel or Blue Circle Livery, depending on which transfers I can obtain first:

IMG_3363.JPG.229c15207b4ba22e49ca33de4868867a.JPG

My cutting and filling doesn't look too good, close up..... A bit of weathering , glazing and some wire handrails next.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Martin S-C said:

How do you get such a superb smooth finish from your undercoating?

I just used Halfords etch primer. I normally use it on etched brass but it was all I had in grey.

• Informative/Useful 2

10 hours ago, Northmoor said:

Thank you - yours was the model that got me to start my own Anglicised Plymouth production line.  The reduced radiator area really helps, doesn't it?  The most advanced one is going to be either British Steel or Blue Circle Livery, depending on which transfers I can obtain first:

IMG_3363.JPG.229c15207b4ba22e49ca33de4868867a.JPG

My cutting and filling doesn't look too good, close up..... A bit of weathering , glazing and some wire handrails next.

It all looks good to me. Looking back at earlier posts I have discovered that I promised to get back to you with measurements etc., and then promptly forgot as my model was put away in a drawer and I didn’t re-visit this thread. Please accept my apologies!

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, forest2807 said:

It all looks good to me. Looking back at earlier posts I have discovered that I promised to get back to you with measurements etc., and then promptly forgot as my model was put away in a drawer and I didn’t re-visit this thread. Please accept my apologies!

No apologies necessary; "having to work it out for yourself" is all part of being a modeller IMO.  It not being a race, is another!

4 minutes ago, Ruston said:

The 0-4-2T conversion has been causing a lot of problems in getting it balanced and picking up on all wheels but it's sorted now and running well.

I wasn't happy with the old moulded valances. Leaving them on didn't look right on an outside-framed loco and the outside frames weren't wide enough, or the axles long enough. It's had a rebuild to remove the valances and fit new, longer, axles and I think it looks better for it.

Hathorrebuilt-005.jpg.efe37ae0fd7428d6d9973b8b044623dd.jpg

Hathorrebuilt-002.jpg.707252296dda0a8b3476b70983c71a30.jpg

Simply gorgeous Ruston. You must be proud. 

19 hours ago, Ruston said:

The other one is getting nearer to completion and with the lessons learned from the previous one it's come along much more quickly. The motor and gearbox are in it and have been tested with the rods on. It only needs pickups before it can be road-tested.

NewNeliie.jpg.e516ff5ef9218d1110fa16fd084fa3e5.jpg

Great job.  Something of the GER T7 there.

• Agree 2

New and old chassis.

NewNellie-6.jpg.b84546020c69373697df68977b485059.jpg

I tried to run the loco with it's original chassis on my layout. Apart from it not being very smooth it wouldn't go through the Code 75 points very well, which isn't surprising when you look how deep those flanges are and how wide the wheel treads are.

NewNellie-7.jpg.e61edaa865f483252f69b0926c7d746b.jpg

The new chassis has a rocking unpowered axle with the driven axles sitting on a pair of rocking beams making it fully compensated. There are no bearings in the frames and the wheelsets can be dropped out of the hornguides. They are retained by lengths of wire that slot into short pieces of square tube that is soldered on to the bottom of the hornguides. The gearbox is a 60:1 High Level Roadrunner +.  The motor is a Chinese equivalent of a Mashima 10/15 but cost around £1. The pieces of foam are to damp the clunk of the motor hitting the frames and body when changing direction.

It's a lot of fuss to go to for a fictional loco but it's been fun and lessons in chassis construction have been learned that can be put to use in more "serious" models.

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4