Show us your Pugbashes, Nellieboshes, Desmondifications, Jintysteins

Corbs

As there are a few "durty diesels" listed, I hope you won't mind me posting my current "bashes" (of which I am very proud despite seeing all the cackhanded faults as this is the first proper "modelling" I've done  in 35 years!)

I was hoping to insert photos into the text and caption them, but looks like they will all appear at the end... [edit - photos not in the order I posted them so renumbered captions, then discovered how to caption them ... but not yet how to reorder them, so photos now in slightly wrong order but each captioned correctly! Phew! Steep learning curve!)

1)  My "brainwave" having seen the Knightwing 0-4-0 diesel shunter kit in The Locoshed. The chassis is about 3mm too long, so a new running plate is easier than modifying the chassis!

IMG_0231.JPG

2) The chassis - unscrewing the keeper plate the whole thing falls apart, so "leave it be" is the modus operandi! Note the hacked bits off the original body holding the chassis together at each end...

IMG_0230.JPG

3) Strange wee beastie impulse bought off the Bay of Fleas (just read that elsewhere - love it!) for it's outside motion. Thought it was a Lima bash but no - unknown manufacturer! (Apologies - should have taken a photo before starting to hack bits off it - it had very low relief steps at the rear and "air cylinders" at the front)

IMG_0229.JPG

4) No photos of work in progress - got carried away! L shaped strip, some chequered embossed plasticard (possibly 7mm scale!) and bits and pieces cobbled up from sprue etc - no claims for authenticity, but it looked very bare between the running plate and the connecting rods...IMG_0232.JPG

Anybody spotted where I glued the bonnet sides on upside down and didn't notice until having fixed the widened sections (to clear the motor block)? A case of "carry on regardless" and muddle through ... well, it was about 3am when I spotted the error! LOL What was the underslung toolbox in the original repurposed to hide handrail holes! (Started the conversion only to discover the filler I had found in the loft had set hard - probably ten years or so ago - so needs must until I can see Jim and co and purchase the necessaries!)

IMG_0233.JPG

5) Another view, with cab placed for effect. Used L struct to lower the buffer beams slightly to get in line with Bachmann wagons, hence heavy beam work at front and rear. Need to undercoat in grey, sort out couplings, glaze, drill for handrails, paint etc. But grinning like a loon because my plan worked out! Freelance and definitely feels "bashed"!

Edited by SteveyDee68
Messed up photo order, then found how to caption them - also corrected typos
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

That chassis is a Mantua item.....[USA stuff]...usually has a [Plymouth?] switcher body of their own design stuck on top.   As an aside, the Manuta switcher has been said to be more S scale than HO.....

Be wary of the cranks coming undone......they are only held on by riveted-over pins.....These work loose. Might do to plop a drop of loctite on each axle end?

Those motors come from an age when electricity was generated in coal fired power stations.....try running the loco with a decent load.....watch all the lights around where you live, go dim?

Nowadays, full throttle will bring half your local windfarm to a sparking screeching halt!

• Funny 3

Durty Diesels #2

So, what to do with the redundant USA switcher body left over from the previous bash? Remember I asked about this a few days ago?

IMG_0234.JPG

Having read the thread on the Playcraft/Jouef North British shunter and seen the excellent improvement by putting it on a replacement chassis, I've been sourcing a "pug" for it which means the chassis will be going spare...

IMG_0235.JPG

Here it is in all its simple glory. Quick offering up of switcher body and it looked a possibility. So, hacked off the redundant detail front and rear plus the rear "toolbox" from the body to see if it will fit...

IMG_0237.JPG

Et voila!  (Apologies for the poor lighting of the shot). Body marked up with pencil for some drastic shortening, and plans to reduce the area of the radiator grill at the front with a plasticard overlay a la Forest287 and Northmoor and I'll have another freelance industrial shunter! 

As I don't have one of those amazing "box of bits" that everyone seems to talk about having (doesn't it take decades to create one of those incredibly useful treasure troves?!) I am wondering about how to create industrial buffers... are drawing pins anything like the right size, or is that a bash too far?

Have to say, this bashing business is mightily addictive!

Steve

Edited by SteveyDee68
Credits for altering radiator surround
  • Like 3

Alastairq said:

"That chassis is a Mantua item.....[USA stuff]...usually has a [Plymouth?] switcher body of their own design stuck on top.   As an aside, the Manuta switcher has been said to be more S scale than HO....."

The next photo down showed the attached body - you are right, I think, it is a Plymouth type design. (Couldn't for the life of me remember the loco name when I was typing before!)

Alastairq said:

"Be wary of the cranks coming undone......they are only held on by riveted-over pins.....These work loose. Might do to plop a drop of loctite on each axle end?"

Thanks for that advice - will look into that as a precautionary measure.

Alastairq said:

"Those motors come from an age when electricity was generated in coal fired power stations.....try running the loco with a decent load.....watch all the lights around where you live, go dim?

Nowadays, full throttle will bring half your local windfarm to a sparking screeching halt!"

Ha ha! It zipped around a circle of track no problems at all and I assumed the lights dimming in the kitchen was the dodgy wiring put in about twenty years ago by the (very dodgy) kitchen fitters! (How dodgy, you ask? They make my modelling bodges look like precision engineering!)

Edited by SteveyDee68
Stupid predictive text doesn't understand the word precautionary
  • Funny 3

16 minutes ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Durty Diesels #2

So, what to do with the redundant USA switcher body left over from the previous bash? Remember I asked about this a few days ago?

IMG_0234.JPG

Having read the thread on the Playcraft/Jouef North British shunter and seen the excellent improvement by putting it on a replacement chassis, I've been sourcing a "pug" for it which means the chassis will be going spare...

IMG_0235.JPG

Here it is in all its simple glory. Quick offering up of switcher body and it looked a possibility. So, hacked off the redundant detail front and rear plus the rear "toolbox" from the body to see if it will fit...

IMG_0237.JPG

Et voila!  (Apologies for the poor lighting of the shot). Body marked up with pencil for some drastic shortening, and plans to reduce the area of the radiator grill at the front with a plasticard overlay and I'll have another freelance industrial shunter! 

As I don't have one of those amazing "box of bits" that everyone seems to talk about having (doesn't it take decades to create one of those incredibly useful treasure troves?!) I am wondering about how to create industrial buffers... are drawing pins anything like the right size, or is that a bash too far?

Have to say, this bashing business is mightily addictive!

Steve

Hi Steve,

Here is the locomotive that was the inspiration for the Joeff contraption, as you may note it is quite similar although altered to fit the mechanism ahead of the cab. I would think a Dapol Pug mechanism might well do the trick but that is a guess.

http://www.srpsmuseum.org.uk/10016.htm

Gibbo

5 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Steve,

Here is the locomotive that was the inspiration for the Joeff contraption, as you may note it is quite similar although altered to fit the mechanism ahead of the cab. I would think a Dapol Pug mechanism might well do the trick but that is a guess.

http://www.srpsmuseum.org.uk/10016.htm

Gibbo

Thanks Gibbo - have saved that as an additional reference for my next bash! (I do like the red livery, too!)

Steve

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, BernardTPM said:

Actually the Playcraft model is based on a slightly later design that does have the raised section ahead of the cab. The loco is D2704 but with its original numbr 11204.

Hi Bernard,

I've been thinking about diesel shunters and the link you posted has a North British type, 11719 similar in style but not entirely accurate to the early Triang North British shunter numbered D2907.

The other Triang shunter I have a question about is the Dock Authority, does this model have a prototype or approximate prototype locomotive that it was based upon?

Gibbo.

Edited by Gibbo675
Mixed the loco numbers up

The Diesel Dock shunter is based on 1960s Bagnall designs, though not doubt tweaked to fit round their standard motor bogie. The example shown here is six-coupled but there were 0-4-0 versions too (this one is 3' 6" gauge, but still typical).

The later, squarer diesel shunter  in either clockwork or electric (Polly/Nellie chassis) form is impossible to pin down to any supplied to BR, though it does look similar. There would have been examples built for Industrial use and also in 0-6-0 form so with a couple of bodies and an 03 chassis something reasonably convincing late NBL could be made.

It has to be said that Playcraft's NBL body was much more prototypical than either of Tri-ang's efforts. 4mm scale too, I assume because of size considerations.

• Thanks 1

On 20/01/2018 at 19:24, James Harrison said:

1957_R153_Class_2F__Saddle_Tanka.jpg

A while back, an excellent pugbash of the above was shown by James using the original chassis/motor. Wondering if anyone has tried the Mainline J72 chassis/wheels under this body shell to make a small wheeled "industrial" styled shunter? Maybe it is a *lot* shorter and would look silly - I can't gauge the relative length from photographs of the two models! (Have yet to source a donor body, but do have a chassis that I *might* be able to repair to go under it!)

Steve

Steve

• Like 1

Interesting comment about “Mantua being more S than HO”, S scale was definitely prominent on the US modelling scene for a while. 

I seem to remember that there was a diesel loco based on a US body on the Craig and Mertonford - is this the same one?

1 hour ago, rockershovel said:

Interesting comment about “Mantua being more S than HO”, S scale was definitely prominent on the US modelling scene for a while. 

I seem to remember that there was a diesel loco based on a US body on the Craig and Mertonford - is this the same one?

If memory serves, there was a C&M diesel which was a recabbing of a Lima N gauge diesel shunter. One of these I think, if I remember the bonnet shape correctly. There was a brief article in a c1980 RM. I do remember that PDH wrote that smooth starts were very difficult. Perhaps not surprising, given the crudity of Lima N gauge mechs and the high likelihood that the C&M's controllers were of the old school resistance type.

• Agree 1

On 03/06/2019 at 11:26, Martin S-C said:

Absolutely superb!

A real inspiration to me to get my own loco back into running condition.
Nellie_born_1965.jpg.094e1d2fbc95337dd768b8e1618d0bf6.jpg

Do it. If it's anything like my old one it'll keep going for life if you maintain it well. They make excellent yard shunters and light rural passenger tanks.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, rockershovel said:

He had a loco called Joan that was built in the 1950's from, as you say, a cast body. He wrote it up in Railway Modeller - I will have a look when I get home from the place that keeps me from modelling all the time.

10 hours ago, rockershovel said:

That would be the original 'Joan' which used the body of a Kemtron 'Stubby' diesel shunter.

8 hours ago, PatB said:

If memory serves, there was a C&M diesel which was a recabbing of a Lima N gauge diesel shunter. One of these I think, if I remember the bonnet shape correctly. There was a brief article in a c1980 RM. I do remember that PDH wrote that smooth starts were very difficult. Perhaps not surprising, given the crudity of Lima N gauge mechs and the high likelihood that the C&M's controllers were of the old school resistance type.

There was, a late addition shown in the Railway Modeller September 1979.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I hate you all. I'm supposed to be working on my late 80s/early 90s NSE layout and after reading through this topic have bought a load of random spare parts because there were a few interesting looking loco bodies. I don't even model steam! *goes off to grumble in a corner*

Screenshot_2019-06-08-14-54-57-1.png

• Like 6
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, Sophia NSE said:

I hate you all. I'm supposed to be working on my late 80s/early 90s NSE layout and after reading through this topic have bought a load of random spare parts because there were a few interesting looking loco bodies. I don't even model steam! *goes off to grumble in a corner*

Screenshot_2019-06-08-14-54-57-1.png

Welcome to the club, Sophia! :jester:

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Sophia NSE said:

I'm interested to see what y'all think of what I bought when it arrives

That image looks like about 75% of my eBay purchases, which explains my very long list of "projects".

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Sophia NSE said:

So this will soon be on its way to me for the princely sum of £9.99. Poor thing doesn't stand a chance!

Screenshot_2019-06-09-20-02-11-1.png

Nothing wrong with an LNER engine, that being rebuilt at Swindon would not put right!

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Chris116 said:

Nothing wrong with an LNER engine, that being rebuilt at Swindon would not put right!

I'd like to point out here that Daniel Gooch and Joseph and George Armstrong were all Geordies, so the Great Western's locomotive tradition has very strong North Eastern roots!

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 3