Show us your Pugbashes, Nellieboshes, Desmondifications, Jintysteins

Corbs

1 hour ago, Asterix2012 said:

Hi Guys

Managed to pick up one of these off Ebay, a jamieson freelance 0-4-0T.

Any thoughts on what it could be turned into?  Was there any resmblance to an actual prototype?

1323945200_jamieson0-4-0T.jpg.245e67e394d1468f4ce0948cdfc18806.jpg

You could do pretty much whatever you want with that.

As far as I'm aware though it doesn't match a real prototype. Don't quote me on that though. 

1 hour ago, Barclay said:

A nice little pugbash on ebay at the moment. I can't do links but it's item no. 333300264476

There's another one from the same vendor...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kit-Built-Loco-0-4-0-A-Freelance-Tank-with-plastic-body-and-metal-chassis/333300771012?hash=item4d9a4628c4:g:DP0AAOSwv8ZdWmTm

Edited by alastairq
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, BernardTPM said:

The body of the first one looks like a shortened J72, the second looks like a Polly/Nellie/Connie (possibly the 1970s version with the Lord of the Isles dome) with a J72 cab.

The chassis (same on both?) looks unfamiliar to me, though I'm guessing it's Hornby.

John

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, SteelAndSoot said:

here is a pugbash I made.

its a fireless engine. a mix between German and English (English cab German style boiler and paint job)20190708_190734.jpg.e681920f3de9ea64b29b59374c5bca8a.jpg20190708_190725.jpg.fba4de82a8edaac342cbe0fcf96957d4.jpg

Interesting, don't see many fireless locos being modelled. Nice. 

3 hours ago, SteelAndSoot said:

here is another engine I did.20190731_075735.jpg.6c657a87291fd9ba745d062078d9199d.jpg

I have got no idea what it is but while I was sticking stuff together it kinda came out like this.

Either way I am happy with it

Gorgeous little freelance tank engine. Nice work.

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, SteelAndSoot said:

here is another engine I did.20190731_075735.jpg.6c657a87291fd9ba745d062078d9199d.jpg

I have got no idea what it is but while I was sticking stuff together it kinda came out like this.

Either way I am happy with it

Brilliant I just love those open cabs with just the spectical plate

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Say I was just wondering if someone could help me with this.

I have a plan for another pugbash but to do so I will need to remove the body from the chassis. I don't have a soldering iron so if the wires where to become detached from the motor it would be very inconvenient as I would then need to buy a iron.

So I was wondering if the body can be removed from the chassis without moving the motor as from all the diagrams I can find show the motor unable to be removed without the wires being detached.

have no idea if it can be removed easily or not.

Gotta love a good pugbash! It seems to me that one of the Electrotren Side Tank 'Barclays' could be bashed about to make one of the many similar english engines, akin to what Linny did back on page 21. I dunno if the wheelbase is correct for any of them, but you could at least have a 'creative approximation'. Possible opitons would include 1245 of the Lakeside and Haverthwaite Railway or the rather attractive Giesel-fitted NCB No.24 (photo courtesy of Jim Bavin via Flickr). Ack! Ive just noticed the erroneous external steam delivery pipes, so all you purist out there can be annoyed by that as well:P (though I doubt many purists visit this thread anyhow)

16296003203_7a8f89ca0b_b.jpg

• Like 3

5 hours ago, SteelAndSoot said:

Say I was just wondering if someone could help me with this.

I have a plan for another pugbash but to do so I will need to remove the body from the chassis. I don't have a soldering iron so if the wires where to become detached from the motor it would be very inconvenient as I would then need to buy a iron.

So I was wondering if the body can be removed from the chassis without moving the motor as from all the diagrams I can find show the motor unable to be removed without the wires being detached.

have no idea if it can be removed easily or not.

Are we talking the Caley Pug/Smokey Joe type or the e-Dapol L&Y type?

On the Caley, I believe the body just comes off by releasing a couple of screws.

The L&Y type has a two part body - the cab unclips and I can't just remember how the forward superstructure comes off, but as the motor's in the cab I shouldn't think you'd need to remove it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On ‎11‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 11:51, Martin S-C said:

Thanks. I think the general arrangement of these vehicles was broadly similar wherever they were used. The one below has dumb buffers front and rear and seems to have an open front for access to the coal. The arrangement of running board and short wheelbase makes me think more and more that a Hornby or Bachmann GW shunters truck could be a good source - of the chassis at least.

post-25077-0-54385900-1545929976.jpg.4f62889e3ccd035ccef7205e1917f6c9.jpg

These tenders were generally rather shorter/older than any r-t-r open wagon, the one in the picture looks to have been built on the chassis of an ancient (1850s/60s) 4-ton or 6-ton mineral wagon. I'm guessing there's someone out there who offers kits of such things, but it's not really on my radar.

If you can hack locos, shortening a Slaters or Cambrian wagon kit to produce something suitable shouldn't be difficult, and has the added advantage that you don't need to take it apart first.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

While surfing about looking for pictures of turbine locomotives, I found this..

5724E241-28C4-4907-82BC-0C3F11E024F9.jpeg.b1a373e3e247d681cb02470e5ca021a5.jpeg

it appears to be an experimental loco fitted with quadruple turbines, built in Italy in 1905 and apparently incorporating the cab sides from a L&Y Pug. Here’s a challenge for someone! 

Edited by rockershovel
  • Like 10

2 hours ago, rockershovel said:

While surfing about looking for pictures of turbine locomotives, I found this..

5724E241-28C4-4907-82BC-0C3F11E024F9.jpeg.b1a373e3e247d681cb02470e5ca021a5.jpeg

it appears to be an experimental loco fitted with quadruple turbines, built in Italy in 1905 and apparently incorporating the cab sides from a L&Y Pug. Here’s a challenge for someone! 

Nice tee-boiler to hide a motor too...

3 hours ago, sir douglas said:

Belluzzo had a bit of a daily express/mail style later career - becoming a fascist then promoting bizarre UFO theories! The idea that the 4 turbines were independent is peculiar. Were they free to rotate on their axles? I cant see how that would work without it crabbing on the track if one side rotates differently to the other.

32 minutes ago, brack said:

Belluzzo had a bit of a daily express/mail style later career - becoming a fascist then promoting bizarre UFO theories! The idea that the 4 turbines were independent is peculiar. Were they free to rotate on their axles? I cant see how that would work without it crabbing on the track if one side rotates differently to the other.

I seem to recall that Italian fascists famously “made the trains run in time” so presumably, that wasn’t a problem? 

• Funny 1