Show us your Pugbashes, Nellieboshes, Desmondifications, Jintysteins

Corbs

3 hours ago, rockershovel said:

I seem to recall that Italian fascists famously “made the trains run in time” so presumably, that wasn’t a problem? 

In actual fact, they made ONE train run on time - which is relatively easy to do, you just delay everything else that might get in its way!

• Funny 2

On 10/08/2019 at 16:34, Poor Old Bruce said:

Just to point out that the "split axle" wheelsets, as produced by some RTR manufacturers won't work with a metal chassis or etched W-irons. They create a short circuit!

Only if the chassis halves are not insulated Metal chassis halves with split axle wheels produces a very nearly friction free power collecting wagon, just make sure the chassis halves are insulated from each other.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, RosiesBoss said:

Here's another project which has used the smokebox, saddle tank and backhead of a Hornby Smokey Joe:

Construction details are here: https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/148059-gwr-2195-cwm-mawr-project/

Above the running plate that really looks like NPFR/BPGV "Margaret", on display at Scolton Manor.  

• Like 1

Thank you, Northmoor for your observation. I agree that the two designs are generally similar, but Margaret was built by Fox Walker and Cwm Mawr by Avonside. Margaret has no external coal bunker, whereas Cwm Mawr does. I imagine that, above the footplate, GWR "standardisation" came into play, hence the family resemblance.

Regards,

Rob

• Like 1

I rather like the proportions of that bash Vanguard; makes me think of an enlarged Hunslet 48150 class, which were a precursor to the 50550s and then the Austerity/J94 designs themselves.

(Image courtesy of H.A. Gamble of The Industrial Railway Record)

REDBOURN_25.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 08/10/2019 at 22:10, Captainalbino said:

Latest pug bash. A LMS pug running plate and cab, with a Smoke Joe boiler.DAAF9B14-6370-4CD7-9BC3-D80CD6490243.jpeg.44c40eb9878982761fa2d7b9bc14fe64.jpeg

The chassis is a Dapol Pug kit whilst I save up the cash for a Hornby Pug donor. The decals are from a Dapol Evening Star 9f kit. Just waiting for a set of name and number plates from Narrow Planet and need to add some handrails.

That's a rather delightful little Pugbash. I agree that handrails would set it off, perhaps some clutter on the running board too, like oil cans, toolboxes?

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, Captain Pugbash said:

Well i might just end up turing an old nellie into THIS (wheels might be too small):image.png.f4d00f26166088eab5dad1ecdc93f618.png

I'm very curious to find out which parts of Nellie would make it into this BP 2-4-0! Sounds like one of those "accountant's rebuilds" one reads of. 

• Agree 1

On 08/10/2019 at 22:10, Captainalbino said:

Latest pug bash. A LMS pug running plate and cab, with a Smoke Joe boiler.DAAF9B14-6370-4CD7-9BC3-D80CD6490243.jpeg.44c40eb9878982761fa2d7b9bc14fe64.jpeg

The chassis is a Dapol Pug kit whilst I save up the cash for a Hornby Pug donor. The decals are from a Dapol Evening Star 9f kit. Just waiting for a set of name and number plates from Narrow Planet and need to add some handrails.

That is gorgeous! I love it! Is that by any chance a rebuild of your old Trojan bash from years back? 

Edited by RedGemAlchemist

Out of curiosity, has anyone bashed the Dapol pug kit with the Dapol/Hornby rtr? I can see it being "useful" if someone wanted the original buffers and exposed crossheads.

Edited by MiltonF
Misterm of mechanical part

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Haha, if only one could make a living from it. 

It’ll probably stay as-is, a bit like the loco used in Greatest Little Railway, it has plenty of battle scars, and to repair it/detail it would require so much rebuilding that it wouldn’t be worth it, so I’ll leave as-is.... for now ;) 

Not one of mine, sadly, nor even a model (yet?) but a definite Jintystein on the front of a Christmas card in the window of the local British Heart Foundation shop. 

Gas streetlamps on the bufferbeams, an American-style sandbox dome behind the safety valves... But still has the "47xxx" numberplate on the smokebox door! Unfortunately the artist appears to have a very dodgy grip on perspective, looking at the cab roof, and the cab is hanging in mid-air with no running plate to hold it up! The tender looks vaguely like one from the old Kitmaster City of Truro kit. Did the artist  just poke around in the "spares or repairs" box at their local show for inspiration?

20191030_084744.jpg

Edited by Skinnylinny
  • Like 3
  • Funny 8