Show us your Pugbashes, Nellieboshes, Desmondifications, Jintysteins

Corbs

10 hours ago, LNWR18901910 said:

I've just ordered a Hornby 14xx body and Terrier chassis - I am using these to create a freelance 0-6-0 tank engine. I once drew up plans for it.

May I ask where you got the terrier chassis from? I've been looking for one for ages. I think the reason the terrier chassis may look small on the 14xx is because the 14xx is generally a larger locomotive. 

3 hours ago, GWR5764 said:

May I ask where you got the terrier chassis from? I've been looking for one for ages. I think the reason the terrier chassis may look small on the 14xx is because the 14xx is generally a larger locomotive. 

E-Bay, of course. As for the 14xx body, I can always shorten it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Vanguard 5374 said:

Not a Pugbash, not even a Hornby bash. A pseudo LNWR Problem, being built from a Bachmann USA “Emily”*

* - a reasonable Stirling single, even if overscale

Then definitely over-size for a Problem! Looks the part, though.

9 hours ago, Vanguard 5374 said:

...and a Hornby bash (well chassis) but a Piko body and mostly plasticard. It’s not going to based upon anything but will just be a generic industrial coach for an upcoming project, representative of something third, forth or fifth hand.

That reminds me of the Nuremburg carriage the Midland tried out in the 1870s, though that had four compartments, one of which was a coupe.

Edited by Compound2632

20 hours ago, Vanguard 5374 said:

Not a Pugbash, not even a Hornby bash. A pseudo LNWR Problem, being built from a Bachmann USA “Emily”*

Well now, I'm sure we can all agree that 4-4-0 is the second most elegant wheel arrangement (and there are some lovely examples on this very forum).

But nothing is more elegant than 2-2-2.

• Like 1

On 24/11/2019 at 22:26, Vanguard 5374 said:

58BB688F-BCDF-46A1-B950-600A854732C6.jpeg

This was something I also wanted to attempt as well myself, once. Nice work!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello there everybody - I recently found this thread and WOW. These are some beautiful bashes! I’ve never attempted one myself (call me crazy), but this has inspired me to give it a go. All I’d like are some tips on how to go about doing things.

I have an 0-4-0 myself, a Holden 101 from Hornby that has done me a few years, but has become my worst runner after vigorous service at the hands of my brother...

Now, I’m a 12-Year-Old who has nothing but an X-Acto Knife, some acrylic paint, copper wire and imagination. Any tips on how to go about things? 

Much obliged.

-MJ

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, ScottishRailFanatic said:

Hello there everybody - I recently found this thread and WOW. These are some beautiful bashes! I’ve never attempted one myself (call me crazy), but this has inspired me to give it a go. All I’d like are some tips on how to go about doing things.

I have an 0-4-0 myself, a Holden 101 from Hornby that has done me a few years, but has become my worst runner after vigorous service at the hands of my brother...

Now, I’m a 12-Year-Old who has nothing but an X-Acto Knife, some acrylic paint, copper wire and imagination. Any tips on how to go about things? 

Much obliged.

-MJ

All good things to start with. Get some second hand trains off eBay and kitbash. That should be a good place to start, especially having some imagination. Look up some industrial designs for stylistic inspiration. Don't be afraid to experiment.

Edited by RedGemAlchemist
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

I love my occasional dips into this thread - where the rivet counting is trivial, and so many joyous homebuilts are rightly greeted with approval.

British modelling is a little short of freelance layouts, I feel, despite a relatively rich heritage in the model press of yore. Refreshing.

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

20 minutes ago, ScottishRailFanatic said:

Great advice all round! I really must get to work on industrial research - one of the few fields I’m unfamiliar with. EBay sounds like something fairly easy for somebody my age - now just to convince the parents...

Cheers.

-MJ

Indeed. That unfortunately is the hardest part in my experience.
Anyway, welcome to the forums, MJ!

8 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

I love my occasional dips into this thread - where the rivet counting is trivial, and so many joyous homebuilts are rightly greeted with approval.

British modelling is a little short of freelance layouts, I feel, despite a relatively rich heritage in the model press of yore. Refreshing.

Indeed, Dudders. Indeed!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Welcome aboard SRF. It's good to see RMweb inspiring someone to do some modelling, rather than argue about the colour of the latest RTR model.

And remember, the modeller that never made a mistake also never made anything.

• Like 3
  • Agree 7