Show us your Pugbashes, Nellieboshes, Desmondifications, Jintysteins

Corbs

Essentially, the plan is to replace the motor with a smaller one, and add some gears to reduce the speed by 3x, but keep the original worm and wheel so the wheelsets don't have to be removed. And have space to add a flywheel if desired. I don't want to take up too much space on here with plans, so I'll check back in when I've got a working prototype to show!

On 09/02/2020 at 17:32, Edwardian said:

There is still much to do, both below and above the valance.  Progress has been slowed by lack of modelling time.  I also went back a stage, deciding to remove the blanking skirts and model the underside of the boiler. 

IMG_6892.JPG.5885b3186444345bb9364c5dffb4c9e3.JPG

Impressive tank loco! It looks like a Pre-Grouping design with a hint of freelance in children's books.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, LNWR18901910 said:

Impressive tank loco! It looks like a Pre-Grouping design with a hint of freelance in children's books.

Thanks. That in many ways was the idea.  The intention was not to try to make Nellie look like a real loco; that might not be possible, and an attempt would certainly require further surgery.  I suspect that a slimmer boiler and shorter smoke box might be necessary to adjust her proportions to something more prototypical.

Rather, the intention was to retain as much of the Nellie character as possible, but 'play it straight', making a model as if this slightly improbably proportioned toy had existed as a real locomotive. 

That's why I've gone for an outlandish blue over something more dour and realistic. You're supposed to remember that it's only a Nellie and a bit of fun! It's sort of daring you to believe it could be real.

• Like 5

22 hours ago, Nile said:

Yesterday while rummaging through boxes looking for things I found something interesting, an old Hornby Percy. Many years ago I'd started detailing it, but never finished it was put away. This included removing the motor, presumably I was going to replace it with something better. Anyway it occurred to me that Hornby's version of Percy is quite big for an 0-4-0, I wondered what it would look like as an 0-6-0.

Some time later I had it sitting on a Jouef/Electrotren chassis. I think a Terrier chassis would also fit.

Stop it! Or I'll make of of them next!

• Funny 1

22 hours ago, Nile said:

Yesterday while rummaging through boxes looking for things I found something interesting, an old Hornby Percy. Many years ago I'd started detailing it, but never finished it was put away. This included removing the motor, presumably I was going to replace it with something better. Anyway it occurred to me that Hornby's version of Percy is quite big for an 0-4-0, I wondered what it would look like as an 0-6-0.

Some time later I had it sitting on a Jouef/Electrotren chassis. I think a Terrier chassis would also fit.

05.JPG.291bcaf9dd2321768aa4000f15c22ab6.JPG

Hmm. I don't know, Nile. It's a great concept but I don't know, the wheels seem a bit too small proportionally to me. Might just be me though. 

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Wide, like the Bachmann one. Why, I wonder?

Probably dictated by the chassis design, their Bill and Ben are also rather wide. The spring clip holding the motor in sticks out a long way, hence the holes in the body sides.

This Percy makes for quite a heavyweight industrial loco, think Maerdy Monster.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 16/02/2020 at 14:14, Nile said:

Maybe open the cab sides out a bit too?

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Sophia NSE said:

Maybe open the cab sides out a bit too?

That Electrotren chassis is a gift to so many of us.

I think, like Lima's Plymouth diesel, that the cab is too big and it distorts the whole proportions.  Maybe take a 3-5mm section out of the cab? I did this to a Plymouth and it helps a lot:

100_5421.JPG.c4bd481bab984d5888cc8baece9738c5.JPG100_5476.JPG.06365803ccd3a8fb6a355133f85bd796.JPG

I'm sure you can hide the joins better than I did.

• Like 2

If the buffers are too high, definitely worth dropping a little - will bring the footplate closer to the cylinders too. 

I think the photoshop looks pretty neat.  I do agree the wheels look a little small, but for a cheap quick 'bash' I think it's fine as is - a tough little wagon shunter.  Spending the money and increasing the wheel size might let it huff some coaches around.  ;)

• RMweb Gold

Hi Sophia, very interesting concept of an inspection saloon.

May I make a suggestion? I think that it might struggle to navigate curves at that length, as the driving wheels are solid mounted to the loco with no articulation, so the other end will swing out quite a lot. It may work to shorten it a bit, some of the real life ones were quite dinky.

407468.jpg

https://www.ssplprints.com/image/407468/london-and-south-western-railway-l-swr-class-f9-4-2-4t-inspection-saloon-no-733-september-1904

Is it an optical illusion or is the left side of the coach as seen in your photo taller than the right side, or is it the angle it is relative to the camera?

Edited by Corbs
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1

On 16/02/2020 at 14:14, Nile said:

I think the prototype might make more sense as an 0-6-0. The wrap-around saddle tank could be a way of increasing the engine’s weight for adhesion.

19 hours ago, Nile said:

Probably dictated by the chassis design, their Bill and Ben are also rather wide. The spring clip holding the motor in sticks out a long way, hence the holes in the body sides.

This Percy makes for quite a heavyweight industrial loco, think Maerdy Monster.

I’ve seen at least one instance of someone regauging Bill/Ben and running it as an O gauge industrial.

• Like 1