Show us your Pugbashes, Nellieboshes, Desmondifications, Jintysteins

Corbs

16 hours ago, Corbs said:

Hi Sophia, very interesting concept of an inspection saloon.

May I make a suggestion? I think that it might struggle to navigate curves at that length, as the driving wheels are solid mounted to the loco with no articulation, so the other end will swing out quite a lot. It may work to shorten it a bit, some of the real life ones were quite dinky.

407468.jpg

https://www.ssplprints.com/image/407468/london-and-south-western-railway-l-swr-class-f9-4-2-4t-inspection-saloon-no-733-september-1904

Is it an optical illusion or is the left side of the coach as seen in your photo taller than the right side, or is it the angle it is relative to the camera?

It could be the angle. At least I hope it is! The Bug was the kind of thing I was after but with a push/pull flavour, though I could probably get away with a small turntable at the end of the WKR

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Corbs said:

ho ho ho!

I wonder if, rather than trying to make sense of the doughnut, substituting the caley pug tank may work better?

Could be a good plan, I've got one of those around here somewhere.

I can see that the logical conclusion of this path is that nothing of the original model remains, which is probably a good thing.

• Funny 2

Work continues to progress on the Jintybodge. The slow speed is attributable to the fact that I am scratchbuilding the detail parts of plastic.

The dome is of styrene tubing and sheet and a Tri-Ang boogie wagon wheel with the flange turned off it, while the T-joint in the outside steam passages incorporates turned Plastruct tube, a piece of scrap sprue for the actual T, and plastic discs made with a leather punch. The headlight is of ABS rectangular tubing, 5 thou styrene sheet, and more turned plastic tube. The outside steam passages themselves are of Plastruct tube also.

Cab doors were added after the bunker broke off twice after I removed the original cab, and are thus of suitably thick plasticard. 

I think it serves as a kind of spiritual antithesis to Corbs' steampunk locomotive; in contrast to his high wheeled and smooth lined express engine, mine is a rather cluttered freight and shunter, born to serve and work in the shadow of the cyclopean "dark Satanic mills".

20200218_172150~2.jpg

20200218_172923~2.jpg

20200218_172135~2.jpg

20200218_172206~2.jpg

Edited by Cunningham Loco & Machine Works
Broke up "wall of text".
  • Like 10

On 18/02/2020 at 03:25, Corbs said:

If you shorten the cab and bunker, and attempt to fix the impossible saddle tank, it could look something like this?

1695745553_Screenshot2020-02-17at19_25_01.png.ee21419b86eceec1361b215f0a15d16d.png

I think the issue here is getting the bit between the running plate and the saddle tank looking right.  There probably would be two pretty hefty springs visible for both of the wheels, along with a proper firebox, reversing mechanism, and other gubbins.  Rather like the Heljan 1361 class.

3 hours ago, LNWR18901910 said:

Nice tank engine! Does it run well?

I later changed to an Electrotren 0-6-0 chassis, as I have several other triang bodies I'd like to use for the Junior chassis, including the "dock tank" style locomotives.

You can see what I changed to on my workbench thread

Edited by Din
  • Like 1

On 19/02/2020 at 04:23, TonyMay said:

I think the issue here is getting the bit between the running plate and the saddle tank looking right.  There probably would be two pretty hefty springs visible for both of the wheels, along with a proper firebox, reversing mechanism, and other gubbins.  Rather like the Heljan 1361 class.

The main issue I have found with the Electrotren o/c 0-6-0 chassis is that it is not sympathetic to saddle tank designs (despite being used as such by the manufacturer!), because the motor protrudes well forward of the cab, to beyond the centre axle, and requires blanking off in an area where one should just see the lower boiler, generally fronted, as you say, by springs.

To illustrate, here are Mark I and Mark II of my Great Yarmouth & Stalham Light Railway Fox Walker.  Mark I (on the left) uses the Electrotren chassis, and you can see the compromises to the body necessary to accommodate it when compared with the Mark II on the right.

IMG_6931.JPG.d4f40910ee9b2d65ba35313b736ee650.JPG

BTW, an Industrial Version of the Electrotren compatible body was developed from Mark I by Turbosnail of this parish, and is available from Hardy's Hobbies; well worth a gander (I have no connection with this manufacturer). 

• Like 8
  • Agree 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On 20/02/2020 at 06:00, Edwardian said:

The main issue I have found with the Electrotren o/c 0-6-0 chassis is that it is not sympathetic to saddle tank designs (despite being used as such by the manufacturer!), because the motor protrudes well forward of the cab, to beyond the centre axle, and requires blanking off in an area where one should just see the lower boiler, generally fronted, as you say, by springs.

To illustrate, here are Mark I and Mark II of my Great Yarmouth & Stalham Light Railway Fox Walker.  Mark I (on the left) uses the Electrotren chassis, and you can see the compromises to the body necessary to accommodate it when compared with the Mark II on the right.

IMG_6931.JPG.d4f40910ee9b2d65ba35313b736ee650.JPG

BTW, an Industrial Version of the Electrotren compatible body was developed from Mark I by Turbosnail of this parish, and is available from Hardy's Hobbies; well worth a gander (I have no connection with this manufacturer). 

I like these. Can I ask what mark II uses as a chassis?

Probably not a straight line on it but it's all my own work. The buffer beam is from the back of the Hornby Holden tank this monstrosity will be attached to. The Nellie I bought is only going to get a respray and some tarting up now.

IMG20200224194848.jpg.acc9cd5f6efa46f4dffc26d352b4997d.jpg

IMG20200224212324.jpg.26745336aa65a9de8593998f032cdb2d.jpg

Edited by Sophia NSE
Extra picture
  • Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On ‎17‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 14:23, TonyMay said:

Are there any prototypes with saddle tanks styled as Percy's is?

I don't think so. The final straw for Reginald Dalby, who created the visual appearance of Percy, was when Rev. W. Awdry told him not to make Percy look like "a green caterpillar with red stripes." Subsequent illustrators gave him a more realistic industrial locomotive look, although the insult popped up again in a later story.

I thought you could maybe justify the unprototypical tank as a failed experiment - maybe something to maximise the weight over the wheels for adhesion, or to insulate the boiler. The experiment was never repeated due to multiple issues around maintenance.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, HonestTom said:

The final straw for Reginald Dalby, who created the visual appearance of Percy, was when Rev. W. Awdry told him not to make Percy look like "a green caterpillar with red stripes." Subsequent illustrators gave him a more realistic industrial locomotive look, although the insult popped up again in a later story.

Indeed. The Edwards' version I think is the quintessential representation of him IMHO.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 24/02/2020 at 21:05, Sophia NSE said:

Probably not a straight line on it but it's all my own work. The buffer beam is from the back of the Hornby Holden tank this monstrosity will be attached to. The Nellie I bought is only going to get a respray and some tarting up now.

I like what you're doing here. My version of this project is way, way better than yours, but (like my charm, wit and dashing good looks) it exists only in my mind.

Update on Wendesday evening: Hi Sophia NSE. When I wrote the above I thought I was being funny, but in hindsight it looks a bit disrespectful. I'm sorry if it comes across like that: I really do like this on-going bash.

Edited by TangoOscarMike
Doubts.
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 25/02/2020 at 20:45, RedGemAlchemist said:

Speaking of Percy, not mine but I discovered this beautiful little Pugbash on eBay for £80. 

s-l1600.jpg.fffe02e0965093ffbf222a150150ffe0.jpg

I've not bid on it myself for a number of reasons, mostly budgetary, but I've linked it here in case anyone is interested.

I doubt if it's still available, but it does strike resemblance to Percy.