Show us your Pugbashes, Nellieboshes, Desmondifications, Jintysteins

Corbs

22 hours ago, Sophia NSE said:

Bought myself some car body repair putty after getting sent home from work early yesterday (precautionary shutdown) and thought I'd give it a try.

Hooray! Someone listened to me!

28 minutes ago, bridgiesimon said:

The latest pug bash I am working on - 

20200321_170632_resized.jpg.f156316255272414195b7096943963d0.jpg

Based on the pivoting installed, it can go round pretty tight curves!

20200322_163149_resized.jpg.7f602080599b6c6da05cd847516d708a.jpg

Yes it is a Pug bash, this is running on a pair of Hornby Pug chassis under there somewhere!

Best wishes

Simon

Interesting Garratt, mate. What gauge is that?

13 hours ago, bridgiesimon said:

The garrett is 16.5mm gauge but scale wise based on 28mm wargaming so around 5.5mm scale - a little smaller than O scale for stuff. My next project is based on Terry Pratchett's Discworld. Thread here - 

Best wishes

Simon

The mini Garrett is a great idea and I hope you don't mind me borrowing it. Not sure when I will get to it though- too many other things on the go! I have been veering more in the direction of things you can make for £few especially in O:16.5 - it's fun!

Edited by Sotto
spelling!
  • Like 1

Picked up one of the slightly more recent 0-4-0 chassis off a workmate for a decent price around Christmas so I figured this was an ideal time to have a play around with it.

I threw together a freelance On30 bodyshell on Tinkercad, loosely based on an Accucraft loco. The print wasn't quite perfect but certainly not bad. I also wired in a DCC plug which actually gives pretty decent control, and means I can wire up some LEDs for proper lighting.

IMG_20200329_150201-01.jpeg.7b0d05eeab2178082a2534cfe5b138ea.jpeg

IMG_20200329_172135-01.jpeg.29289a7757ea1fcadec0dae46f4f285a.jpeg

IMG_20200330_093100-01.jpeg.60c675cebdcf84b3e8e2967d99ed238f.jpeg

The plan is for a really beat up paint job with plenty of rust :)

• Like 18
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

That's brilliant! Life in the old girl yet!

2 hours ago, dud spud said:

I bought a few Dapol J94s, and this one was turned into a cross between a hunslet 48150 and a 50550. It's not finished, I'm out of milliput and I haven't decided on the colour scheme yet.

Viva la Hunslet! I'm not sure if you've seen them but if any use this is how I did my 50550 and 48150

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Current update on the Q1

IMG20200402203459.jpg.366d09024d3fdb369a8c56e909a8fee5.jpgIMG20200402203736.jpg.f9904c235454df6d83975f3bc5edad22.jpg

Filled in the gaps in the cab front with some plasticard and filed it to shape. Next was to remove the moulded plastic handrails. I'll be putting in an order for buffers and wire tomorrow. After that I'll be constructing an insert for the bunker

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Londontram said:

That looks brilliant the balance looks just right well done been enjoying the progress on this and it's turned out much better than I thought it might.

Steve

Thanks, the body has turned out exactly how I wanted, even the ropey livery seems to suit it. I have found little things I can keep improving, the next one being the rear bogie 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/03/2020 at 14:02, Killian keane said:

IMG_20200312_135643.jpg

Hi All, 

First a thanks to Corbs for starting this thread. Although I have only just signed up to RM Web, I have been dipping in and out of these pages some time. 

Secondly, I am working on a pugbash at the moment, so I will post a picture up when it is done. 

Thirdly, this looks really nice. Is the print quality good? The photo is a little blurred. Also was that "white natural versatile plastic" or "smooth fine detail plastic". I no nothing about 3D printing, but this looks rather nice. 

Thanks

Ben

2 minutes ago, BenNewland said:

Hi All, 

First a thanks to Corbs for starting this thread. Although I have only just signed up to RM Web, I have been dipping in and out of these pages some time. 

Secondly, I am working on a pugbash at the moment, so I will post a picture up when it is done. 

Thirdly, this looks really nice. Is the print quality good? The photo is a little blurred. Also was that "white natural versatile plastic" or "smooth fine detail plastic". I no nothing about 3D printing, but this looks rather nice. 

Thanks

Ben

Welcome to RMWeb, Ben! Always nice to see a new face.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, BenNewland said:

Hi All, 

Thanks

Ben

Hello Ben, I believe it's done on a Photon printer which can get much better quality and fidelity than the materials available from Shapeways.

10 hours ago, Adam FW said:

Firstly I'm new here but thought I'd show off what spending too much time on CAD software along with having a 3D printer, a sacrificial Bachmann Thomas (or in this case 'Stuart') and some poundshop spray paint resulted in

I'm aiming for an approximation of the Kitson No5 long boiler pannier tank in an NCB livery, the wheel spacing is off but the wheel base looks about right which is good enough for me.

Otydu3mJSyS43f-CXo4x1w.jpg.7716b822be9db5f42303e6f357659c39.jpg

That's gorgeous! Great work.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Corbs said:

Hello Ben, I believe it's done on a Photon printer which can get much better quality and fidelity than the materials available from Shapeways.

That's gorgeous! Great work.

Cheers Corbs

FYI for Ben my models are printed on an anycubic photon, which is a resin 3D printer, sort of the hobby equivalent of the machines that output shapeways smooth fine detail plastic. The Kitson in my images above are not sanded or filled, though I probably should have done so considering the gloss paint shows the build lines clearly in some light on the flat sides.

Shapeways fine detail plastic from experience is typically higher quality with fewer visible build lines than what my printer can normally output but considering how much I 3D print and how expensive the higher quality materials are from places like shapeways it was worth getting it

Below is an image of some of my printers output after cleaning but before painting or sanding, from left to right:

- a cubone keyring

- anycubic impossible cube test print, I have never been able to match the quality of this and would love to know the settings used as you can barely see or feel the build lines

- fantasy castle, there are some tiny details on it which don't show up very well without painting.

- the saddletank is a scrap part of my latest project on an electrotren chassis where I did a really shoddy job of cleaning the print, but it shouldn't be too hard for someone to guess what it's going to be with the giesl ejector.

IMG_0233.jpg.b4a841f06a086481d450c62578629366.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1