Show us your Pugbashes, Nellieboshes, Desmondifications, Jintysteins

Corbs

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Captain Pugbash said:

I've got a spare nellie and  j72, anyone got any suggestions of what to do with them?

So, starting from a Drummondesque 0-4-0T and a Worsdellian 0-6-0T, can one get to some sort of Scottish 0-6-0T and a NER-looking 0-4-0T?

I have been following this forum for years but now a combination of lockdown & pouring rain have persuaded me to contribute. As a regular visitor to Stratford in steam days I was always fascinated by the departmental locos in their own small shed. Here are my efforts.  33 is a Hornby industrial body, modified, on a Rivarossi American switcher chassis. No 30, freelance model, is a Nellie body on a Drewery shunter chassis kit purchased from Kings Cross Models very many years ago. Powered by a Triang XT60 motor.IMG_3096.JPG.078b4dc3e65a2c0c3c6a70a3e0b13afe.JPGIMG_3097.JPG.646635dae73f79b44c7b5e5f5dd6bc06.JPG

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, AlfaZagato said:

Really neat, almost if Nielson had lasted to the 20s.

It's just a shame the poor driver can't see where he's going, the saddle tank obscures most of the spectacle plate so if I ever put a crew on the footplate one of them will have to be leaning out the side to look forwards which I don't think I've seen a model of.

• Funny 3

On 28/04/2020 at 22:28, Adam FW said:

Firstly I'm new here but thought I'd show off what spending too much time on CAD software along with having a 3D printer, a sacrificial Bachmann Thomas (or in this case 'Stuart') and some poundshop spray paint resulted in

I'm aiming for an approximation of the Kitson No5 long boiler pannier tank in an NCB livery, the wheel spacing is off but the wheel base looks about right which is good enough for me.

bXFXPnVLSU-uInvWZEoNww.jpg.abe6af4494cbae154fe0a1e69b49c8b8.jpgOtydu3mJSyS43f-CXo4x1w.jpg.7716b822be9db5f42303e6f357659c39.jpg

tuVv0iX7Toe0OXls8BlRaw.jpg.b07df5df25860397ec76de946730a2f3.jpgSibapRuzTHG88RmTyRUAug.jpg.9d43adb8cae7dd890abe66a956274d24.jpg

Sadly Thomas needed some drastic surgery so there's not much of him left.

GWAr7dLWRtOjskuq3L1oXg.jpg.ae03c7dada60e2c9a62ead782912f23e.jpg

I designed the body in Fusion 360, printed it in multiple parts to make the painting easier and just have to repaint some wasp stripes on the sandboxes,  make some handrails, fit sprung buffers, glue it all together, attempt some decals then tone down the gloss

JQdcUV9xQtWSVvFxoR25Qg.jpg.dcbff37b42fddcc0c6b1f4a61ca645a0.jpg

I've got another loco on the go at the moment on an electrotren 0-6-0 chassis which I'll put some images up of when the paint's dry along with the few other body swaps or bashes that I've done in the past couple of years once I've found where I've stashed them (the joy of moving house)

That is simply gorgeous and I'd be seriously tempted to buy one were it offered for sale, or to print one on my own photon were the file available to download or purchase.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Adam FW said:

It's just a shame the poor driver can't see where he's going, the saddle tank obscures most of the spectacle plate so if I ever put a crew on the footplate one of them will have to be leaning out the side to look forwards which I don't think I've seen a model of.

I've used one of the Dapol figures in this way, as shown here. He's the one on the far left in this picture. With a bit more effort I could have had him leaning out a bit more.

Some of the other poses in this set have a bit of a lean to them, and might be suitable.

I love the model (the previous owner's work and yours). Freehand lettering of that standard is not commonplace.

Edited by TangoOscarMike
typo
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, TangoOscarMike said:

I've used one of the Dapol figures in this way, as shown here. He's the one on the far left in this picture. With a bit more effort I could have had him leaning out a bit more.

Some of the other poses in this set have a bit of a lean to them, and might be suitable.

I love the model (the previous owner's work and yours). Freehand lettering of that standard is not commonplace.

Cheers, I’ll consider one of those Dapol figures.

Wish I’d bought more from the bloke as he had loads of brilliant kit and scratch built items, mostly LNER stuff though which isn’t really my thing though one of his motorised Stirling singles was tempting. I did pick up some ratio coaches and a Foden steam lorry which were built and painted to a similar standard.

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, sem34090 said:

That is simply gorgeous and I'd be seriously tempted to buy one were it offered for sale, or to print one on my own photon were the file available to download or purchase.

Thanks. I’ve considered putting some of my other designs up on shapeways marketplace but I’m not as happy with this one as I am my other designs as it looks nice but is a pig to build

once I get this one built I might do a version 2 that requires far less hacking and slashing to fit together properly and I may well upload that if it’s good enough. 

I’d also definitely have to make instructions for the chassis as that was surprisingly difficult to work on, I’ve never seen another model where the motor is primarily attached to the body not the chassis

Just a quick not to say thanks for your welcome and replies RedGemAlchemist, Corbs and Adam FW.

Thanks too for the note on print quality etc.

Progress is very slow my end but will post up something when it is suitable.

Thanks all,

Ben

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Corbs said:

Gorgeous. How close to scale is the body out of interest?

Pretty close I think, though it’s all based on scaling photographs not measurements and the best side views are of other kits or scratch builds so I’m relying on those being good

Some of it is affected by the rtr chassis which is tall and has large wheels so it sits a bit too high. And to maintain durability thin plates are too thick most obviously on the cab though I’ve gone thinner on more recent designs

one of the best ways I’ve found of checking scale on industrial locos is to find a picture of it next to an austerity 0-6-0 then compare my 3d print on the chassis along side my model of wilbert and see how well it matches up.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium
On 13/10/2018 at 13:44, Ruston said:

New running plate, buffer beams and buffer blocks made.

post-494-0-62093900-1539434483.jpg

Branchlines chassis under construction and trial fit of High Level gearbox. The motor is a tiny thing from China. It has the same dimensions as a Mashima 10/15 but cost a fraction of the price.

post-494-0-37287100-1539434602.jpg

Where can I get hold of those motors please...

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Corbs said:

That looks fab. Is the body of this one to scale?

Thanks

Before I fully assembled it I would have said yes, but I think it's a bit too tall by about 3mm (it's a wonder I can live with myself after such a mistake), some of that it due to the wheel size and the cab roof thickness (can't really alter this without changing the roof material or squashing the cab front) the rest is simply me making the smokebox too large originally and not scaling the saddletank and cab down to match when I noticed the issue and reduced it's size.

Luckily it's an easy fix on CAD and makes a good excuse to have a version 2 maybe of Courageous or one of Florence's other class mates since I've got another chassis. It's also not very noticeable unless you're comparing it directly against a photograph with matching rolling stock.

It's not a model I spent much time designing, maybe 2-3 days on the computer in between painting a couple of doors for the house whilst it was raining outside and spending too long on youtube. So I'm not too fussed that it's not perfect.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

With that - make sure you are measuring from railhead rather than sat on the desk as the large flanges of the Electrotren chassis will make it appear taller ;)

• Agree 1