Show us your Pugbashes, Nellieboshes, Desmondifications, Jintysteins

Corbs

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Corbs said:

That is absolutely gorgeous and a stroke of genius. The use of household items is brilliant.

Totally agree, to me it's the whole point.  Spending £50 improving a £10 bargain box loco would completely defeat the object.  This is real craftsmanship.

• Agree 7

14 hours ago, RosiesBoss said:

G'day, all,

Here's something else rebuilt from a Hornby L&Y pug - a GWR Peckett:

224523112_Peckett96802619Jun2020.JPG.1dc7a90a5128b7ab47b4627f9590f538.JPG

Some details of construction may be found here: https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/155869-gwr-968-peckett-0-4-0st/

Rebuilding can be so enjoyable!

Regards,

Rob

I know, right?
Nice take on one of the GWR "long Pecketts". Great work.

On 19/06/2020 at 03:29, Captain Pugbash said:

image.png.72ec4fc15df432f90559b412d86812f9.pngactually this doesnt look much better, any chassis suggestions?

On 19/06/2020 at 11:00, Mountain Goat said:

I think the cab looks too small and needs more length to it. If the cab was lengthened a little and the smokebox or the boiler reduced a bit...

Chassis can be shortened... But what about a class 03 chassis with reduced con rods so the con rods only cover the wheels. Would it look more convincing? I suggested the 04 or an 04 as the wheels are closer together. 

One needs a short wheelbase 0-6-0... And if that was a terrier wheelbase, it needs to be shorter still. The body may not actually need extending that much at all.

The bunker definitely is undersized.  Building up a bunker at the back would allow for the use of a slightly longer chassis or a shorter boiler.  In the paintshop of the red 0-6-0T the boiler looks too long.  I don't think the cab is as bad, but probably could do with more height (if possible within the loading gauge), and maybe a little more length.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 21/06/2020 at 09:31, Tullygrainey said:

I like everything about this loco! 10 out of 10 for ingenuity and craftsmanship. Thanks for showing us how you did it.

Alan

I agree. You've captured the feel of the small 12" Barclay perfectly. Possibly the best use of a can of Fosters I've ever seen!

• Agree 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, TonyMay said:

The bunker definitely is undersized.  Building up a bunker at the back would allow for the use of a slightly longer chassis or a shorter boiler.  In the paintshop of the red 0-6-0T the boiler looks too long.  I don't think the cab is as bad, but probably could do with more height (if possible within the loading gauge), and maybe a little more length.

May I suggest extending the cab & bunker, and making it into an 0-6-2. The bunker, specifically.

Have fun!

16 hours ago, tomparryharry said:

May I suggest extending the cab & bunker, and making it into an 0-6-2. The bunker, specifically.

Have fun!

Hmm I'm not sure if it's just the cab and bunker. To be honest the boiler looks to long for the firebox. A fireman would have trouble keeping any steam in that.

Sorry

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Londontram said:

Hmm I'm not sure if it's just the cab and bunker. To be honest the boiler looks to long for the firebox. A fireman would have trouble keeping any steam in that.

Sorry

No need to be sorry. The picture seems to have stretched the loco  somewhat. Not having a bunker is a PITA. From my perspective, it's all out of proportion. However, the Belpaire firebox & safety valve besr some resemblance to a Barry Railway L class 0-6-4.  The only non-bunkered 0-6-0 I can think of, is the ex-Metropolitan Railway locos, acquired by the Taff Vale.  

Looking at the picture I think the 'Jinty' chassis is a bit of a red herring. I think the wheel diameter and wheelbase are far too big for this loco which has stretched its proportions. What about an Austerity chassis - the body could be shortened then and look more in proportion?

Edited by Barclay
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I'll say it again - the two 'donor' images are not the same scale! It's like putting an N gauge body on a OO gauge chassis. So any photoshopping will be pointless until they are the same scale to begin with.

Based on my photo of the Dowlais body on the Terrier chassis, it's more like this kind of relative scale:

1408675349_Screenshot2020-06-24at11_30_23.png.70124796ec9fb035b62b9288bcfbfc71.png

Edited by Corbs
  • Like 18
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Sophia NSE said:

Prepare to meet your doom!

IMG20200624152706.jpg.2e8ea51e301ac17160ab6150fba02fbd.jpg

Now you say that but I still get a pang of guilt just before starting to chop a loco.

Anyway the new design is much better

Edited by Londontram
New content
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, BackRoomBoffin said:

...research at Ashford reveals an unauthorised Surtees / Clayton proposal for shunting in the Kentish coalfield... the 'T1' class...

Recabbed by Wainwright and reboilered by Maunsell. I like your T1 class name for it!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sophia NSE said:

Recabbed by Wainwright and reboilered by Maunsell. I like your T1 class name for it!

At the risk of derailing a fine thread with hairsplitting - Surtees was Wainwright's draughtsman and basically responsible for the 'Wainwright' cab (and, allegedly, everything else). He very briefly overlapped at Ashford in 1913/1914 after Wainwright's retirement with Maunsell and his assistants Pearson (from the GWR) and Clayton (from the Midland).

Clayton is allegedly responsible for almost everything from the Maunsell era that has parallel boiler and Belpairefirebox (particularly the rebuilds of the Ds and Es, and the L1s). He was also the brains behind the S&D 2-8-0s.

So I was assuming that, to design your loco, Surtees took the new boy out for a pint when Maunsell was talking to the rest of the staff about taper boiler passenger tanks. Maybe the WKR got hold of the beermats after?

The actual response to heavy shunting in Kent during WW1 was to a) put a saddle tank on a C class and b) hire all kinds of locos from all over during the war.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2