Show us your Pugbashes, Nellieboshes, Desmondifications, Jintysteins

Corbs

• RMweb Premium
On 30/06/2020 at 14:52, cypherman said:

Hi all,

When this engine was a tender engine it ran in green. This is a model of the original C class in the colour it was supposed to have run in. Once it was converted to the S class it ran in black.

I'm not quite sure where you get that from. The SECR locomotive livery from 1899 was the very ornate style associated with Harry Wainwright; I believe it was Maunsell who introduced a simplified painting scheme, with the same basic green colour, approximated by the model you show. During the Great War - I'm not sure from what date exactly - the SECR adopted a plain grey livery with large white numerals; this, I believe, remained the standard livery up to the Grouping. The solitary S was converted from a C in 1917, so would have appeared in this grey livery. In the fullness of time it would presumably have been repainted into the standard Southern Railway goods locomotive livery of lined black.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Remember I said I had an 0-6-0 on the way? Well it arrived! Guess who gave up his wheels so the paper mills at Tovil could have a shunter :jester:

IMG20200704104137.jpg.a4b42d1104e9b91cc09946c84b5dc289.jpg

Sitting next to the Q1 for a height check

IMG20200704104214.jpg.b943ccca4400e00f979fcf736cc87375.jpg

Next to do is add some front splashers and find a way to attach the chassis to the body. I had to remove a tiny bit of metal from around the front screw hole to make it fit, but other than that there were no chassis modifications. I might even give the body some lining and a name as it's a pet loco

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

On 01/07/2020 at 21:59, AlfaZagato said:

Look up one of the n20 motors.   Tiny and powerful.  Cheap, too.   I picked mine up for $7.

The N20 motors are cheap and the 2000 rpm gives a nice slow running ability.

However, the original request was for one where you don't have the change the worm size. I think (please correct me) that the N20 has a larger diameter rod (3mm I think), than the original one from Toby (about 1.5mm maybe?).

Hope that helps, but I don't know of a smaller motor with the same size worm.

Ben

3 hours ago, BenNewland said:

The N20 motors are cheap and the 2000 rpm gives a nice slow running ability.

However, the original request was for one where you don't have the change the worm size. I think (please correct me) that the N20 has a larger diameter rod (3mm I think), than the original one from Toby (about 1.5mm maybe?).

Hope that helps, but I don't know of a smaller motor with the same size worm.

Ben

I've done a bit of research and found a couple of motor options - both N20s, one without a gearbox attached and a 1.5mm shaft and one with a gear box and a 3mm shaft. I've ordered both as well as a few gear bits to have an experiment - I have multiple locos that could ideally do with new motors anyway. That being said, I found a motor out of a Bachmann Greg in a box the other day which might do the job just as well and comes with a worm to fit. I'll have a play and see what happens. Thanks all for the advice

• RMweb Premium
On 04/07/2020 at 10:54, Sophia NSE said:

Remember I said I had an 0-6-0 on the way? Well it arrived! Guess who gave up his wheels so the paper mills at Tovil could have a shunter :jester:

IMG20200704104137.jpg.a4b42d1104e9b91cc09946c84b5dc289.jpg

This is really good.  I reckon if you took 5mm out of the cab roof, bringing the rear forward, you could create a false bunker and proportions look just right.   Hold a piece of paper over the rear of the cab in the picture to see what I mean.

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Since someone mentioned the Triang clockwork “top tank”, here’s a nice little video of this once-common beastie. I notice a mention in the comments underneath, to fitting these bodies to an R355 chassis, which is of course, the 0-4-0 found on the Nellie/Polly/Connie series and others.

There IS a certain family resemblance, mostly around the smokebox; I assume the clockwork mechanism couldn’t be accommodated in the available space, which is why there was no clockwork Nellie? Rather begs the question why they didn’t produce an 0-4-0ST at the time, given that the R153 0-6-0ST wouldn’t last much longer. 

So, here’s a challenge; does anyone have one of these as a pugbash, however motorised? 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Moose said:

Thought this would be appropriate been working on this little . Not finished yet need frame extensions, smokebox door and touch up painting. If anyone knows what paint Hornby used for this please let me know I need it.

Any suggestions/improvements would be appreciated :)

D39D6B45-D95A-4DBC-BCF3-BF251119CEDD.jpeg

8125ABD6-D305-4FB8-BDE8-D8D047BC575E.jpeg

Those outside cylinders really make a difference!

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

21 hours ago, rockershovel said:

Since someone mentioned the Triang clockwork “top tank”, here’s a nice little video of this once-common beastie. I notice a mention in the comments underneath, to fitting these bodies to an R355 chassis, which is of course, the 0-4-0 found on the Nellie/Polly/Connie series and others.

There IS a certain family resemblance, mostly around the smokebox; I assume the clockwork mechanism couldn’t be accommodated in the available space, which is why there was no clockwork Nellie? Rather begs the question why they didn’t produce an 0-4-0ST at the time, given that the R153 0-6-0ST wouldn’t last much longer. 

So, here’s a challenge; does anyone have one of these as a pugbash, however motorised? 

This is a mad theory, but I think there IS a prototype for this loco (sort of)! Bear with me...

http://www.museum.alibaba.sk/MUSEUM/LOCOLOCO/halpin/halpin.htm

Capture.PNG

• Like 3

13 hours ago, rockershovel said:

Googling about, it seems to be one of those ideas that enjoyed a vogue for a while, was found to be of little real use, and was dropped again 

Really, it's the answer to the question, 'we've got some old under-boilered locomotives and we want to improve their steaming capacity without reboilering them' without realising that the costs were nearly the same and the proposed innovation added additional issues eg centre of gravity, weight distribution etc that would be better resolved by ... reboilering them (and also superheating). I also understand that on the LYR routes they were tried on, they only really worked in one direction due to the prevailing gradients.

But it would possibly allow for the fitting of radio control gear to your OO Bachmann 2-4-2T.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BackRoomBoffin said:

Really, it's the answer to the question, 'we've got some old under-boilered locomotives and we want to improve their steaming capacity without reboilering them' without realising that the costs were nearly the same and the proposed innovation added additional issues eg centre of gravity, weight distribution etc that would be better resolved by ... reboilering them (and also superheating). I also understand that on the LYR routes they were tried on, they only really worked in one direction due to the prevailing gradients.

But it would possibly allow for the fitting of radio control gear to your OO Bachmann 2-4-2T.

..or clockwork!

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, rockershovel said:

..or clockwork!

If anyone does want to buy a product costing £60 - £100 (dependent on retailer etc) to remove the expensive bits and retrofit a technically obsolete technology...
a) that is the best application of Rule One I've seen in some time
b) feel free
c) please throw some money my ways whilst you're at it

Given we now have high-tech modern battery powered equipment, is anyone insane out there running hyper-modern digitally controlled clockwork by any chance?

Anything is possible...

• Funny 3

1 hour ago, BackRoomBoffin said:

If anyone does want to buy a product costing £60 - £100 (dependent on retailer etc) to remove the expensive bits and retrofit a technically obsolete technology...
a) that is the best application of Rule One I've seen in some time
b) feel free
c) please throw some money my ways whilst you're at it

Given we now have high-tech modern battery powered equipment, is anyone insane out there running hyper-modern digitally controlled clockwork by any chance?

Anything is possible...

I did a laugh react because the first half of the post does indeed seem very silly - although people convert modern loco body shells to 3-rail so is this so different? However, for the second half would it be possible to apply the technology used for radio controlled live steam to clockwork mechanisms? I just wonder whether it would require a battery to be carried, making it seem somewhat pointless.

The 00 gauge clockwork locos I have are all ‘digitally controlled,’ i.e. you apply the brake by pushing the switch forward with your finger...

Edited by 009 micro modeller
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, 009 micro modeller said:

I did a laugh react because the first half of the post does indeed seem very silly - although people convert modern loco body shells to 3-rail so is this so different? However, for the second half would it be possible to apply the technology used for radio controlled live steam to clockwork mechanisms? I just wonder whether it would require a battery to be carried, making it seem somewhat pointless.

The 00 gauge clockwork locos I have are all ‘digitally controlled,’ i.e. you apply the brake by pushing the switch forward with your finger...

Ref A A Milne, “The Engineer”

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On ‎10‎/‎07‎/‎2020 at 18:03, RedGemAlchemist said:

Not exactly very aesthetic, is it?

I dunno, at least they've tried with the 2-4-2T.
Consider it up against the near-contemporary Webb 2-2-4-0Ts, or some of the Dean experimental tanks, and it's not completely out of the ordinary.

And then, when we look at boiler experimentation, there's the ACFI feedwater heaters, and the Crosti boiler...

I'm sorry I think I left pugbashing beind some time ago.... desperately bringing it back, I'd argue that one could easily adapt a Pug to make it a condensing tramway / ilocomotive on the lines of the LSWR Shanks 0-4-0STs, and that that could be adjudged as ugly as this Aspinal/Hoy/Druitt-Halpin beastie, dependent on the beholder.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BackRoomBoffin said:

I'd argue that one could easily adapt a Pug to make it a condensing tramway / ilocomotive on the lines of the LSWR Shanks 0-4-0STs, and that that could be adjudged as ugly as this Aspinal/Hoy/Druitt-Halpin beastie, dependent on the beholder.

Agreed. Looks simple enough to do theoretically.