Show us your Pugbashes, Nellieboshes, Desmondifications, Jintysteins

Corbs

Hi all,

I suggest large amounts of Vodka. If it gets to look really bleary to you after a few you will not know quite what a monster you have built. You might even get some sleep as it stalks it's way round you railway causing fear and mayhem to you other engines.... :)

• Like 2
  • Funny 5

3 hours ago, cypherman said:

Hi all,

I suggest large amounts of Vodka. If it gets to look really bleary to you after a few you will not know quite what a monster you have built. You might even get some sleep as it stalks it's way round you railway causing fear and mayhem to you other engines.... :)

I'm thinking it will be more of an 'ancient thing from the crypt' (my pen has been considering the work of Craven, Conner, Bromley, England, various Leeds manufactories, several Scottish brothers and that bloke who liked orange). Don't watch this space. I work slow and budget is such that necessary acquisitions will be veeeryyyy caaaarefulllyyyy spaaaaaced.

• Like 1

If you have a shop like a Wilkinson, B & M Bargains or Pound-Shop or even a traditional small hardware shop, or the craft and tool section of Boyes.  Maybe one of the big retail park like Screwfix, Wicks Builder Centre and B &Q. Look for a Junior hack saw, small files, set of drill bits with small sizes. super-glues and  glues for plastic although you can do everything with super-glue, craft knife the extendable snap off blade type is good. Cutting mat or a sheet of cardboard or ply wood to protect the work table. Yogurt pots and hard plastic food packaging provides some useful materials. All good stuff at bargain prices, before you send him make sure Igor is well trained.

• Like 4

I find the flat files sold for sharpening chainsaws perfect for modelling and quite cheap, a small vice was another thing I did without for years and now wonder why.  Thick superglue like THIS has proved very useful too.

peco-tools-pt-200-kitbuilder-s-tool-set681.jpg.7e00919edb27d5c6ba428b570313a2e5.jpg

Here is PECOs answer to a tool kit, they also do a separate track layers tool kit. This was in the £26 to £36 cost range.

So there is a comparison for you.

They have included a metal ruler I forgot that in my list, not sure if you need the side cutters, an ordinary pair of general purpose pliers would be more useful perhaps.

the blue back ground is a cutting mat, the printed grid is always useful when glueing stuff together squarly like the four sides of a wagon or house kit.

Lidl and Aldi supermarkets often do useful tool sets, not bad quality at a good price.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, relaxinghobby said:

peco-tools-pt-200-kitbuilder-s-tool-set681.jpg.7e00919edb27d5c6ba428b570313a2e5.jpg

Here is PECOs answer to a tool kit, they also do a separate track layers tool kit. This was in the £26 to £36 cost range.

So there is a comparison for you.

They have included a metal ruler I forgot that in my list, not sure if you need the side cutters, an ordinary pair of general purpose pliers would be more useful perhaps.

the blue back ground is a cutting mat, the printed grid is always useful when glueing stuff together squarly like the four sides of a wagon or house kit.

Lidl and Aldi supermarkets often do useful tool sets, not bad quality at a good price.

Hi all,

I think that is rather expensive for what you get. I can get everything they show there for less than £20.00 at my local hardware/sells everything shop. Only thing you would not get would be the handy guide.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, relaxinghobby said:

A Nellie bash, well on the way.  It gets less Nellie towards the front. Bachmann USA 4-4-0 tender loco provides the underpinnings.

IMGP0073a.JPG.378bd5ff89a1a5e986252f46882cc63c.JPG

Cute. Looks like one of the Highland Railway tanks.

2 hours ago, cypherman said:

Hi all.

Big fanfare to introduce the new and imaginary improved 2-10-0 Stanierstien..... lol

DSC_0906.JPG

DSC_0907.JPG

That looks really natural and really cool actually. Like something Stanier would actually design.

19 hours ago, sir douglas said:

very Lynn & Fakenham

19 hours ago, Ben B said:

That is very pretty! I wonder if you could incline the cylinders further for a Beyer Peacock sort of a look too?

How to modify cylinder angle maybe?

The area between the two dotted lines is a plastic saddle that holds the two cylinders. Above and below are two metal chassis extensions, coming forward from the main chassis and it's all held together by a vertical screw indicated by the arrow.

chassisfront.jpg.c7b438a42939ab78ed381db4e948a626.jpg

The cylinder saddle could I suppose be filed to an angle and packed out with washers or a wedge shaped piece of plasticard and securely held in with that screw. A mechanical modification that some may be confident to try to get that inclined cylinder Metro tank Beyer Peacock look. Although the chassis is a bit small for one of those?

44otMGNRPullmanA.jpg.ed273ae2a697fe5dcf0b8ccb2d6fa07a.jpgMy inspiration is this MGNR tank, is this a Lynn and Fakenham engine.

The donor engine is one of these an H0 Baldwin 4-4-0 by Bachmann from a second hand stall back when exhibitions happened.

440BaldwinFromBachmann.jpeg.f1cc3bef358e8a6a7d35b406ecac1c30.jpeg

Which provides a modern chassis with two stage gearing and lots of brake detail and those yummy cylinders and valve gear.

H0 stuff is surprisingly small compared to 00, I though this loco could be made into a small UK type branch line 4-4-0 tender engine, but back home I found in practice with it's 18mm wheels and 25mm wheel base it is small enough to fit inside a Polly/Nellie body shell.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 minute ago, relaxinghobby said:

How to modify cylinder angle maybe?

The area between the two dotted lines is a plastic saddle that holds the two cylinders. Above and below are two metal chassis extensions, coming forward from the main chassis and it's all held together by a vertical screw indicated by the arrow.

chassisfront.jpg.c7b438a42939ab78ed381db4e948a626.jpg

The cylinder saddle could I suppose be filed to an angle and packed out with washers or a wedge shaped piece of plasticard and securely held in with that screw. A mechanical modification that some may be confident to try to get that inclined cylinder Metro tank Beyer Peacock look. Although the chassis is a bit small for one of those?

44otMGNRPullmanA.jpg.ed273ae2a697fe5dcf0b8ccb2d6fa07a.jpgMy inspiration is this MGNR tank, is this a Lynn and Fakenham engine.

Oh, God. How did I not notice a local (to me) engine? Derp.

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, cypherman said:

Hi all.

Big fanfare to introduce the new and imaginary improved 2-10-0 Stanierstien..... lol

Stanier? How did you pass up the opportunity to call it the Big Riddler? ;) 

Edited by Corbs
  • Funny 8

On 10/08/2020 at 16:58, RedGemAlchemist said:

Oh, God. How did I not notice a local (to me) engine? Derp.

These little loco's and their owners the Lynn and Fakenham where quickly absorbed by larger and larger railways and ended up in the Midland and Great Northern Railway and survived into the 1930s. There were seven of these, the one in the photo with the old Pullman coach had been lent to the Midland Railway for trial push pull trains.

You  can try and unpick the complexity here      https://www.lner.info/co/MGN/locomotives.php

A loco like this would be realistic on any imaginary light railway or industrial network.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1