Show us your Pugbashes, Nellieboshes, Desmondifications, Jintysteins

Corbs

54 minutes ago, Captain Pugbash said:

i've had a bit of a think, come up with 2 things that would be pugbashable.
A killin pug, can be easily made from a nellie cab and a normal Hornby smokey joe pug
An 0-6-0 L&Y pug, which can be easily made from 2 pug kits (heck will probably build one myself soon)
image.png.7ee93fdd6bca756d243a492cb1c9d2bd.pngimage.png.c25a3ca18269f774da15b119be42b0c6.png

Looks good. For the 0-6-0, how do you propose to do the chassis (assuming it’s motorised so the plastic kit chassis is no good)?

I swear there used to be a kit for the Killin Pug - Dean Sidings maybe? - using the Hornby CR pug in some way. I remember the first Hornby Magazine I bought years ago now had a 'how to article' on it and I was really tempted but never did follow up on it. 

• Agree 1

52 minutes ago, Frappington Jct said:

I swear there used to be a kit for the Killin Pug - Dean Sidings maybe? - using the Hornby CR pug in some way. I remember the first Hornby Magazine I bought years ago now had a 'how to article' on it and I was really tempted but never did follow up on it. 

There used to be one, it was indeed dean sidings, only used the chassis of the Hornby (caley) pug

• Informative/Useful 2

58 minutes ago, 009 micro modeller said:

Looks good. For the 0-6-0, how do you propose to do the chassis (assuming it’s motorised so the plastic kit chassis is no good)?

won't be motorized just cutting and glueing the plastic chassis/siderods and just have it as a nice little static

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Captain Pugbash said:

Here's the more refined 0-6-0 pug as i intend to build it, just pretend the lettering and number are the correct LMS font, used gill sans as a placeholder109714142_2391116067864209_5220549668034573816_o.jpg.2398665e481b84bd796358b9441e99d5.jpg

Did you need to add the extra axle just to make it long enough to fit the nameplate?

• Like 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Gold

Rather stylish for a loco of its kind, but unusually proportioned. My suggestion would be to make the boiler/tank section a bit shorter, thereby enabling the cab to go forward a bit and make room for a bunker.

The loco as-drawn could probably shunt all day without needing to take water, but need to stop for more coal every couple of hours. The opposite is/was usually preferable.  

John

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

Rather stylish for a loco of its kind, but unusually proportioned. My suggestion would be to make the boiler/tank section a bit shorter, thereby enabling the cab to go forward a bit and make room for a bunker.

The loco as-drawn could probably shunt all day without needing to take water, but need to stop for more coal every couple of hours. The opposite is/was usually preferable.  

John

how about a seperate coal tender? (bit like the CR pugs sometimes did)

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

John

IIRC the bunkers are inside the cab sheets on the real 0-4-0 version.  Would it not make more sense to add extra bunkers to the front of the cab, to increase the capacity of the existing bunkers?

Alternatively, you could turn the cab side sheets round, so the entrance and steps are over the rear driver, moving the long part of the cab side with the number on to the back. That would give plenty of room for a large bunker the full width of the loco.

• Like 2

I guess a lot of the 0-4-0 configuration was dictated by the short overall length. Extending from the middle to add an extra axle doesn’t look right to my eye (although I’d say the same of more than a few prototypes that did exist too).

I guess conventionally you would centre the firebox between the rear two axles and the front of the cab would sit slightly ahead of the rear axle (which is more or less as shown above). Then if there’s enough space for the coal bunker to fit at the back of/behind the cab, it would go there.

Would be tempted to shorten the water tanks back and expose the smokebox to improve the proportions although you might then be looking at a lot more scratchbuilding or an alternative donor for the smokebox and chimney.

• Agree 1

On 13/08/2020 at 18:46, Captain Pugbash said:

i've had a bit of a think, come up with 2 things that would be pugbashable.
A killin pug, can be easily made from a nellie cab and a normal Hornby smokey joe pug
An 0-6-0 L&Y pug, which can be easily made from 2 pug kits (heck will probably build one myself soon)
image.png.7ee93fdd6bca756d243a492cb1c9d2bd.png

If you're trying to bash the Pug into an 0-6-0, I recommend this beastie from a not-too-far-away location (Gorton ... if you regard the Pugs as an adaptation of a Vulcan design, that's very near indeed):

886 - Pollitt GCR Class 5 LNER Class J62 0-6-0ST - built 1897 by Gorton Works - 1924 to LNER No.5886 - 12/36 loaned to Sir Robert McAlpine for construction of Ebbw Vale Steelworks - damaged at Ebbw Vale - 11/37 withdrawn - seen here as built.

• Like 11

Here's an attempt at a Pug-bash.  I'm a real beginner so have not worried too much about realism (big compromise being the Hornby 0-4-0 chassis with oversize wheels etc.

Does anyone have a recommendation for crew figures for a pug?  I have some from the Dapol work-men set but they all seem too tall. The old Hornby figures that come with the Caledonian pug fireman is OK but the seated driver doesn't fit at all!

IMG_20200819_122244412.jpg

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, taine said:

Here's an attempt at a Pug-bash.  I'm a real beginner so have not worried too much about realism (big compromise being the Hornby 0-4-0 chassis with oversize wheels etc.

Does anyone have a recommendation for crew figures for a pug?  I have some from the Dapol work-men set but they all seem too tall. The old Hornby figures that come with the Caledonian pug fireman is OK but the seated driver doesn't fit at all!

That's a very credible attempt, very neat.

The problem with crew for the Pug is that it's a small loco in any scale, which is why your normal 4mm figures won't fit.  Try these figure from Faller or these from Noch .  They are both H0 scale (1:87), so a bit smaller than 00.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

1 hour ago, Northmoor said:

Both lovely Sophia; "Nellie" looks a lot better as an 0-6-0T.  I might have to seek out a similar chassis.

Mine was stolen from a Bachmann Digby that I got a while back, no idea what to do with the body so I'm happy to trade it and/or a Hornby 14xx body for anything I might find useful. I could also be persuaded to part with Nellie's chassis if a decent offer came in. (Alright Arfur Daley, you can stop milking it now!)

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

48 minutes ago, Corbs said:

Integrating the splashers and sandbox into the Nellie body is a great idea! 

Wait, Corbs is saying something I did is a great idea? High praise Indeed!

It shows up a lot better after priming thankfully and getting them to sit properly with my unpractical for modelling nails is a right faff but clearly worth it. At least one of my hacked up R1 bodies made itself useful again!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 19/08/2020 at 12:33, taine said:

IMG_20200819_122244412.jpg

You could try Andrew Stadden's loco crews. He does both 4mm and 3.5mm scales, but his 4mm are slim compared with the Dapol/Airfix figures. This 1950s set comes with separate arms and heads. He also does Victorian and Edwardian crews similarly customizable. Only the Edwardians come also fully assembled. OK you have to buy a set of six for the customizable ones or ten for the ready assembled ones, but most figures come as sets and I expect you may acquire a few more locos at some time. https://www.acstadden.co.uk/product-page/oo13-1950s-enginemen  I am a satisfied customer -no other connection to AS.

Edited by phil_sutters
correcting product details
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Back in 2014 an RMwebber, KennClark, announced that he was producing a range of 3.5mm scale enginemen, with separate heads, arms and legs, which would be ideal for this sort of problem. I bought a set of them at the time, but I don't know if they are still available. There was a bit of discussion about the typical build of railwaymen, to put things in perspective here (page 4):