Show us your Pugbashes, Nellieboshes, Desmondifications, Jintysteins

Corbs

3 minutes ago, Frappington Jct said:

Inspired once again by someone else on this thread from a while back, here's my most recent creation: 'Aion', a traction engine shunter based on a re-motored Hornby 0-4-0 chassis, Caley Pug running plate and a Keil Kraft traction engine kit. It's a bit of a beast but I rather like it really - suits my love of the weird and wonderful!

20200821_183545.jpg.5ae7869025763afaa7641c6bc711c633.jpg

20200821_183708.jpg.b46e41725d359556de537c38a449d5b8.jpg

Very nice. Though Fergus from Thomas and Friends wants his colours back lol

• Funny 2

1 minute ago, RedGemAlchemist said:

Very nice. Though Fergus from Thomas and Friends wants his colours back lol

Haha, to be fair, the paint scheme is based on the preserved 'Blue Circle', which in turn is the basis for Fergus so I suppose you are correct :laugh_mini:

• Like 2

On 19/08/2020 at 12:33, taine said:

Here's an attempt at a Pug-bash.  I'm a real beginner so have not worried too much about realism (big compromise being the Hornby 0-4-0 chassis with oversize wheels etc.

Does anyone have a recommendation for crew figures for a pug?  I have some from the Dapol work-men set but they all seem too tall. The old Hornby figures that come with the Caledonian pug fireman is OK but the seated driver doesn't fit at all!

Well, that is a very impressive attempt. Brilliant stuff, especially if you are a beginner. I'm another vote for AC stadden figures. They have incredible detail. If you just want them to go far inside the cab, you could buy some cheap figures from china on e bay. They are also smaller than 4mm figures. The bright colours on them would need toning down/repainting though!!

Well done,

Ben

• Thanks 1

On 20/08/2020 at 15:57, Sophia NSE said:

Some modelling I could only dream of attempting in the past

IMG20200820153203.jpg.4e7e4e440fead54d75edc31776e3700c.jpg

Thats looking good. The chassis seems to fit well to it.

Does anyone have a left over Nellie body they don't want ?! (Fat chance of that on this thread!!).

Ben

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Frappington Jct said:

Inspired once again by someone else on this thread from a while back, here's my most recent creation: 'Aion', a traction engine shunter based on a re-motored Hornby 0-4-0 chassis, Caley Pug running plate and a Keil Kraft traction engine kit. It's a bit of a beast but I rather like it really - suits my love of the weird and wonderful!

20200821_183545.jpg.5ae7869025763afaa7641c6bc711c633.jpg

20200821_183708.jpg.b46e41725d359556de537c38a449d5b8.jpg

I’ll have to put this on my “to build” list.

It should be a fun little engine to run every now and then on my ironstone quarry layout, the shed is always up for an extension!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, 009 micro modeller said:

I might have missed one earlier in the thread but has anyone adapted or bashed one of these? It seems to have some potential but somehow this particular body style of Hornby 0-4-0 has passed me by.

I can't recall whether there has been a version of this loco bashed on this thread, but it appears to be derived from the clockwork Thomas https://www.picclickimg.com/d/l400/pict/312739650102_/00-Thomas-the-Tank-Engine-clockwork-with-key.jpg

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Moxy said:

I can't recall whether there has been a version of this loco bashed on this thread, but it appears to be derived from the clockwork Thomas https://www.picclickimg.com/d/l400/pict/312739650102_/00-Thomas-the-Tank-Engine-clockwork-with-key.jpg

I thought it might be based on that, although I wasn’t sure if it was exactly the same moulding or when it was first released as an electric loco.

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Joseph the L&YR lover said:

was a clockwork engine retooled to be a electric loco. the clockwork one had 6 wheels but when upsizing it they used a 0-4-0 chassis

Hornby did both 4 wheel and 6 wheel clockwork versions using this bodyshell, but as you say when it became an electric loco, they fitted an 0-4-0 chassis. (It's too short to fit their standard electric 0-6-0 chassis, and in any case they have the ex LBSC E2 which has been the 'electric' Thomas for a number of years.)

On 10/08/2020 at 16:55, relaxinghobby said:

The donor engine is one of these an H0 Baldwin 4-4-0 by Bachmann from a second hand stall back when exhibitions happened.

440BaldwinFromBachmann.jpeg.f1cc3bef358e8a6a7d35b406ecac1c30.jpeg

Which provides a modern chassis with two stage gearing and lots of brake detail and those yummy cylinders and valve gear.

H0 stuff is surprisingly small compared to 00, I though this loco could be made into a small UK type branch line 4-4-0 tender engine, but back home I found in practice with it's 18mm wheels and 25mm wheel base it is small enough to fit inside a Polly/Nellie body shell.

So it is, that’s why OO was born - to create significantly larger body shells. The difference is around 14%, 1 in 7. 

It’s also worth bearing in mind that Nellie (and her sisters, and for that matter all the Tri-ang and Hornby 0-4-0 types) are excessively large for locos of that type. Like other toy manufacturers, Tri-ang tended to build all locos to the same loading gauge, to accommodate the same mechanisms. So Nellie is an 0-4-0 shunter, the size of a main-line express locomotive. You can see this clearly by comparing them to the L&Y Pug, which IS a scale model, or the new Peckett saddle tank types. It’s less obvious with the diesel shutter, because the 08 is a large thing anyway. 

Edited by rockershovel
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 19/08/2020 at 12:33, taine said:

Here's an attempt at a Pug-bash.  I'm a real beginner so have not worried too much about realism (big compromise being the Hornby 0-4-0 chassis with oversize wheels etc.

Does anyone have a recommendation for crew figures for a pug?  I have some from the Dapol work-men set but they all seem too tall. The old Hornby figures that come with the Caledonian pug fireman is OK but the seated driver doesn't fit at all!

IMG_20200819_122244412.jpg

There might be some of the sort of crews you are looking for in the Modelu range; 3D prints posed by real people in very natural positions and working clothes, thoroughly recommended no connection satisfied customer.  If you go a few pages back you'll see my Dokafority pugbash being driven by a Modelu NCB driver.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, rockershovel said:

So it is, that’s why OO was born - to create significantly larger body shells. The difference is around 14%, 1 in 7. 

It’s also worth bearing in mind that Nellie (and her sisters, and for that matter all the Tri-ang and Hornby 0-4-0 types) are excessively large for locos of that type. Like other toy manufacturers, Tri-ang tended to build all locos to the same loading gauge, to accommodate the same mechanisms. So Nellie is an 0-4-0 shunter, the size of a main-line express locomotive. You can see this clearly by comparing them to the L&Y Pug, which IS a scale model, or the new Peckett saddle tank types. It’s less obvious with the diesel shutter, because the 08 is a large thing anyway. 

My 'Cyclops', a workup of an ancient Triang dokafority/yard switcher, proves this point; intended as a colliery loco, I discovered that she is the widest loco on my layout, a nod I suppose to the 'Transcontinental Series' models.  She is pretty massive compared with a Bachmann 64xx, for example, and towers over the 7 plankers and 16ton steel minerals she plays with for a living.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

20 hours ago, rockershovel said:

Forgive me if this is a partially uninformed generalised digression, but ....

I've been meditating on how much one might be able to address the Largeness Problem bequeathed to us by the Ancient Masters of Plastic in the Far-Off Times (ie the 70s) in adapting proprietary mechanisms when modelling 19th century and light-railway / industrial tank prototypes, based on choosing what to model carefully.

Up to the 1870s in railway terms, there were basically 3 ways to get a locomotive with which one could shunt things:

- use a discarded tender engine or take one and convert it to a tank engine (these tended to be large and heavy for their power output) -- examples would be LYR and LNWR 0-6-0STs rebuilt from older freight locos -- where this was successful, new-build locos were build that emulated features derived from the 'anecestor' prototype...

- build something light with a short wheelbase dedicated to that purpose (but at this stage really 'light' was beyond the ability of the materials if you wanted a higher power output so these were still pretty heavy)

- use a horse or vertical boiler shunter (which were light as light could be but very range limited)

BUT THEN. The Pug and the Terrier and the 'P' and the 4-4-0T designs like Relaxing Hobby's come at a historic point in the 1880s (ish) when there is:
- a) the ability to make engines more compact and powerful than previously as techiques change;
b) interest in opening up lighter-laid lines than the mainlines, and legislation is gradually changing to make that so,
c) lines and sidings that had been horse-drawn or used vertical boiler types were being replaced with conventional tank engines
d) it was not unusual for trip goods tank engines (which could have been later cascaded to yard shunting duties) to have longer wheelbases and be slightly large overall than dedicated yard shunting locomotives, although the distinction might now elude us.

So actually some of our most beloved prototypes come at a time when _some_ locos were actually getting smaller, believe it or not.

To make my point, Sophia's 0-4-4T is large, but based on the body shell of something that was rebuilt on top of a chassis from standardised based parts on experience with 0-6-0 and 0-4-2 tender engines (James Stirling had a very long career before Wainwright and Surtees started nobbling his deisgns).

Similarly, on the NER there were some 0-6-0Ts and O-6-0STs rebuilt by the Worsdell borthers from 0-4-2T and 0-4-4Ts that had been rebuilt by Fletcher (I think I've summarised that without too much misrepresentation of the facts) ... these were larger (I think) than the little 0-6-0Ts built later by the Worsdells for dockyard shunting.

So in trying to use a Jinty mech to represent an 1870s style tank engine, as long as I study the prototype, and try to make it look like it is based on (by rebuilding or copying) an older loco that originated as a tender engine or trip shunter, I am 'allowed' a large engine on my light railway / backwoods siding and it _may_ (if I do it right) look more convincing than building an overscale version of a lightrailway engine of the 1880s, 1890s or 1900s.

There will still be compromises, because the late Fowler Jinty is an enlarged version of the older Johnson 0-6-0ts, but (I think) I'm not going to have all the compromises to make that I would if I based my loco on a Terrier or a buckjumper or a Killin pug or whatever.

Does any of that make sense?

Edited by BackRoomBoffin
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 22/08/2020 at 21:04, 009 micro modeller said:

I might have missed one earlier in the thread but has anyone adapted or bashed one of these? It seems to have some potential but somehow this particular body style of Hornby 0-4-0 has passed me by.

I don't think the 80s clockwork Thomas has anything to do with the other 0-4-0's apart from the really nasty US style one that shared a mechanism.

The one in the link had a brief career as an electric 0-4-0 Thomas.  Might be an interesting one to put on an alternative chassis as being a bit rarer it's origin will be less obvious but will need a fair bit of work.

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, BackRoomBoffin said:

So in trying to use a Jinty mech to represent an 1870s style tank engine, as long as I study the prototype, and try to make it look like it is based on (by rebuilding or copying) an older loco that originated as a tender engine or trip shunter, I am 'allowed' a large engine on my light railway / backwoods siding and it _may_ (if I do it right) look more convincing than building an overscale version of a lightrailway engine of the 1880s, 1890s or 1900s.

Does any of that make sense?

Sounds like fun. You could use the body of an existing tender loco and splice it with some tanks too?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Corbs said:

Sounds like fun. You could use the body of an existing tender loco and splice it with some tanks too?

I have something more saddle-esque in mind -- also some rebuilds in that period were from well tank to side or saddle tank -- I think it's more a matter of trying to build a deliberate mish mash of detailing so it looks like parts come from an earlier loco.

I think it may also be about trying to imply some kind of 'geological stratification' as you work up vertically so the frame and bufferbeam appear more oldfashioned than the superstructure... Have some books of photos of early Victorian locos I am poring over which give some visual cues...

Edited by BackRoomBoffin

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but a long time ago George Dent bashed about a Bachmann Junior not-Thomas 0-4-0T. It was to his usual standard of modeling and looked great. You can find out more on his blog http://georgedentmodelmaker.blogspot.com/2010/08/bess-is-in-demand.html

Before

image.png.f5b133ec2f9f36a712d40a89a10da758.png

After

image.png.5d04a21e95a6f99c46b95c5152816bb7.png

image.png.ba64d8761e7b7cf4565f1aa908e842d2.png

Fell like I should say something about copyright and all. I dont own these photos should suffice. 

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2