Show us your Pugbashes, Nellieboshes, Desmondifications, Jintysteins

Corbs

• RMweb Gold

Sounds cool, might be worth looking at some common features and seeing what you might be able to make using what you have available?

LSWR_0298_Class_Beattie_Well_Tank_4.jpg

lnwr2234-M.jpg

IMG_20181117_0004-M.jpg

So it looks like almost always, the cylinders and chimney are located just in front of the leading axle, and the two driving axles sit either side of the firebox.

The leading wheelset seems to usually be quite large.

I would say overall dimensions are usually similar to an 0-6-0T, some cases identical such as the Terriers that were temporarily converted - note the splashers have been retained on 'Boxhill'

7se1fNj_5ZYEmc_dVR0I5f_GbyhwrfeHJhrfQRFG

• Like 6

The last photo of the engines above is the Isle of Wight 2-4-0 Bonchurch No18 was built by Beyer Peacock as a standard type and sold all over the world.  It's wheelbase is exactly the same as a LNER J72. 6'9" + 7'0". So a Bachman model may do as a start or for a larger engine with bigger wheels perhaps one of the Bachmann Pannier chassis?

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Joseph the L&YR lover said:

I've been thinking about trying to bash a 2-4-0 passenger tank engine together but i really have no idea where to start, could anyone give me some advice?

Since you're into the LYR, I've been spending some time salivating over these things, that were used on branchlines...

Class 32 - 135 - Yates & Hurst LYR Class 32 2-4-0T - built 1869 by Miles Platting Works, Works No.1899 - rebuilt as 2-4-0ST - 1899 withdrawn.

Originally built as 2-4-0WTs then rebuilt. Maybe too small-wheeled and with too short a wheelbase for the traditional expedient of turning an auto-tank chassis backwards?

BTW If you or anyone else are in any position to answer my slightly odd query about hypothetical applications of naylor Safety valves (as demonstrated here by our glamourous model), please answer my thread-of-one-post-so-far in Prototype Questions....

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BackRoomBoffin said:

Since you're into the LYR, I've been spending some time salivating over these things, that were used on branchlines...

Class 32 - 135 - Yates & Hurst LYR Class 32 2-4-0T - built 1869 by Miles Platting Works, Works No.1899 - rebuilt as 2-4-0ST - 1899 withdrawn.

Originally built as 2-4-0WTs then rebuilt. Maybe too small-wheeled and with too short a wheelbase for the traditional expedient of turning an auto-tank chassis backwards?

BTW If you or anyone else are in any position to answer my slightly odd query about hypothetical applications of naylor Safety valves (as demonstrated here by our glamourous model), please answer my thread-of-one-post-so-far in Prototype Questions....

Well that could be a fun little bash. That bunker is definitely very R1esque (don't worry, I don't need any more R1 bodies for quite a long time!) and the rest of the body could probably be found by cutting up a few different models. A 14xx chassis turned backwards might well sit under it

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Quarry-Steam65 said:

This seems like an interesting bash, a 0-6-4 Pannier Crane Tank.

This example was built at Swindon in 1901.

Not exactly a pugbash:

I know who Hercules was but I had to look up Steropes - one of the Cyclopes, the personification of lightening. But apparently players of Assassin's Creed will know this - evidently a highly educational game.

• Funny 2

Hi all,

Not sure if this counts as a pug bash as more a trying to get it to look more like the real thing bash. It is of course the Triang SECR S class 0-6-0 saddle tank from the late 50's and early 60's. So it is really just a big Pug. I did a post about it some time ago here. But I thought it might do well in this post.

Here is what I did.

I have removed the long one piece splashers and scratch built and repurposed some correct style ones. I have decided to keep the 2 boxes at the back due to the amount of plastic I had to take away to get this far. What was left of the footplate was becoming very flimsy.

Remade the removed part of the footplate.

Filed off the lip round the large back window and filled it  in.

Removed the (hacked away) Westinghouse pump from the front of the boiler. Sanded and filled the hole that was made.

I have put a new Westinghouse pump into the correct place.

Removed all the handrails and replaced them with wire ones. Made and fitted some of the handrails that should have been modelled but were not.

Put a new handle on the filler cap.

Glazed the rear windows.

Scratch built rear windows grills and fitted them.

Scratch built the lamp brackets and fitted them.

Scratch built the steps on boiler and back of engine and fitted them.

Fitted a whistle in the correct place. The original model did not have whistle fitted.

Fitted new 3 link couplings.

Put real coal in the bunker.

Replaced all the original Triang 1950's wheels with newer wheels with see through spokes that could run on code 100 rails.

Put lamps in place set for freight, mineral or ballast train.

Added my poor simulation of clack valves.

Put sand boxes on the front of the engine footplate.

Added vacuum  pipes.

Full repaint in satin black and new transfers with what I thought was the correct engine number then sprayed with matt varnish.

It is a bit rough around the edges but is a lot more like the engine it should be. I suspect that there are many people here that could have done a better job but I am happy with it.

Here are some before, during and after pictures.

Triang Saddle tank.jpg

DSC_0858.JPG

DSC_0861.JPG

DSC_0863.JPG

DSC_0869.JPG

DSC_0872.JPG

Edited by cypherman
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

And finished engine. Plus a couple of pictures of the real thing. There were a couple of errors pointed out to me after finishing the engine. But it was too late. I has it's original number but as a BR engine it should have been prefixed by the number 3. And one of the BR lions is pointing the wrong way. These errors were unfortunately pointed out to me after I had varnished the body. Too late to change them.

DSC_0873.JPG

DSC_0874.JPG

DSC_0875.JPG

DSC_0876.JPG

SECR S class No.685.jpeg

SECR S class No.685 6.jpg

SECR S class No.685 1.jpg

Edited by cypherman
  • Like 16

18 hours ago, Joseph the L&YR lover said:

i was thinking about a side tank loco but now that i know about a lyr one....time to figure out how to build that!

Health warning: I know very little in practical terms of what I am about to say, other than I know it is above my skills level...

I understand the prototype were very small and underpowered and withdrawn around 1900 or earlier. We're talking branch and pilot duties only, I guess.

I don't know if this is possible, but would the Bachmann Junior/Digby be a suitable victim, but with the motor turned so the wormwheel is in the cab, and the 'front' non-driven axle could then be removed and a new smaller wheelset substituted? This operation in itself would give me heebie jeebies, but, might result in the short wheelbase in the prototype picture. The originals had 5' wheels, I think. That would however leave you with a problem in the cab, and cab doors to hide the mechanism might be implausible as the real things had really really large protruding splashers...

By and large Corbs' "cut your coat to suit your cloth" approach makes sense, dependent on what you have to hand, which is what is driving me towards an 0-6-0 as I can't quite reconcile myself to the long wheelbase on the Hornby Smokey Joe chassis (one of which is in the loft) (although I like Corbs' 2-4-0T on this chassis which is at the very start of this thread).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BackRoomBoffin said:

Health warning: I know very little in practical terms of what I am about to say, other than I know it is above my skills level...

I understand the prototype were very small and underpowered and withdrawn around 1900 or earlier. We're talking branch and pilot duties only, I guess.

I don't know if this is possible, but would the Bachmann Junior/Digby be a suitable victim, but with the motor turned so the wormwheel is in the cab, and the 'front' non-driven axle could then be removed and a new smaller wheelset substituted? This operation in itself would give me heebie jeebies, but, might result in the short wheelbase in the prototype picture. The originals had 5' wheels, I think. That would however leave you with a problem in the cab, and cab doors to hide the mechanism might be implausible as the real things had really really large protruding splashers...

By and large Corbs' "cut your coat to suit your cloth" approach makes sense, dependent on what you have to hand, which is what is driving me towards an 0-6-0 as I can't quite reconcile myself to the long wheelbase on the Hornby Smokey Joe chassis (one of which is in the loft) (although I like Corbs' 2-4-0T on this chassis which is at the very start of this thread).

i probably am at a lesser skill level than you but i think the project is worth at least trying. the idea for using the Bachmann junior's chassis is a nice one and i will look into that. i had been thinking maybe getting a terrier chasssis and switching out the wheels but i haven't settled on a proper chassis yet. the only thing i know i will use is the saddle tank from a smokey joe to make the saddle tank, the rest is still up in the air right now.

5 hours ago, cypherman said:

Sophia it is looking good. Can you show a picture of the chassis so we can see how you have attached the trailing pony truck wheel.

It's only a rolling chassis at the moment and I'm pretty sure I've secured it through the hole that the motor is screwed to

IMG20200909091149.jpg.23d878ade5d67b635788e8c480aeff55.jpg

IMG20200909091539.jpg.aae2c8dd6a82fd5921f032bd11e52f0b.jpg

IMG20200909091411.jpg.3a3cbcf3d9f48635ec88e95f9fe03531.jpg

Obviously I'll paint it black and add a coupling in due course

• Like 6

I've got a Dapol pug chassis lying around...

It'll just have to share the Peckett chassis with three other locos! My layout isn't big enough for more than one loco in steam anyway

Edit: I was joking, but I tried it and...

IMG_20200912_141515.jpg.010cea0fff1ffad667a835575e26e66c.jpg

Turns out the pug chassis is actually too long!

Edited by TurboSnail
  • Like 1
  • Funny 3