Show us your Pugbashes, Nellieboshes, Desmondifications, Jintysteins

Corbs

for once instead of thinking of "hmm that would be a nice bash" yours truly actually makes a thing, an 0-6-0 version of the 14xx (featuring a triang jinty chassis) the jinty chassis and autotank body need some filing, in the meantime i dropped the jinty body onto the 14xx chassis and voila presto, a very dainty little jintystein! just need some paint and transfers for her now (might cut out a bit of cab roof to make it look more victorian)

image.png

Edited by Captain Pugbash
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

38 minutes ago, Captain Pugbash said:

for once instead of thinking of "hmm that would be a nice bash" yours truly actually makes a thing, an 0-6-0 version of the 14xx (featuring a triang jinty chassis) the jinty chassis and autotank body need some filing, in the meantime i dropped the jinty body onto the 14xx chassis and voila presto, a very dainty little jintystein! just need some paint and transfers for her now (might cut out a bit of cab roof to make it look more victorian)

image.png

Hi Captain Pugbash,

That reminds me of one of these:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LMS_Stanier_Class_2_0-4-4T

Gibbo.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Captain Pugbash,

That reminds me of one of these:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LMS_Stanier_Class_2_0-4-4T

Gibbo.

I have a Stanier 0-4-4T converted from a Triang Jinty. Not my own work, I bought it secondhand from Hobbytime in West Wickham in the 1970s. Looks good but it never ran that well. 0-4-4T is always difficult but using the original chassis leaves the motor in a location where it is putting everything out of balance.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Hi all,

I wonder how well the Triang Hornby M7 0-4-4 would work with a Jinty body. Something I might do in the future perhaps. A pity I did not think of this before as I butchered up an M7 body for bits when I was upgrading the SECR 0-6-0.

Edited by cypherman

1 hour ago, Captain Pugbash said:

image.png

Cute little suburban tank there, Captain. 

• Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

1 hour ago, cypherman said:

Hi all,

I wonder how well the Triang Hornby M7 0-4-4 would work with a Jinty body. Something I might do in the future perhaps. A pity I did not think of this before as I butchered up an M7 body for bits when I was upgrading the SECR 0-6-0.

It might be possible, but the Triang Hornby M7 has massive driving wheels

M7 to R1 comparisonIMG20200920121658.jpg.07dce73d499177e25461424d2daa6a09.jpg

M7 to 14xx comparison

IMG20200920122043.jpg.4f34adf64478b19a40eea9f4501a579a.jpg

R1 to 14xx comparison

IMG20200920122348.jpg.2689ece54349f06734617c1002c0b368.jpg

IMG20200920123448.jpg.4503ee3a0a26eae4a664a2351d5220ca.jpg

The prototype M7 had 5'7" drivers, the same as the Stanier 0-4-4 and an inch bigger than my Q1 but the 14xx drivers seem to sit much better under the body. 

I'd be very interested to see if you can get the M7 chassis under the Jinty. Front splashers would have to be rebuilt, but I know you won't be afraid of that!

Edited by Sophia NSE
Extra picture
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

I have a Stanier 0-4-4T converted from a Triang Jinty. Not my own work, I bought it secondhand from Hobbytime in West Wickham in the 1970s. Looks good but it never ran that well. 0-4-4T is always difficult but using the original chassis leaves the motor in a location where it is putting everything out of balance.

Somebody did a Jinty to MSWJR 0-4-4T conversion, written up in Railway Modeller in the late 70s

4 hours ago, Captain Pugbash said:

image.png

Awesome and marvellous in its own right! Seeing as it still retains the BR lining, it would be perfect as an LNWR, Midland or freelance 0-4-2T along with four-wheel and six-wheel coaches to haul.

3 hours ago, Sophia NSE said:

It might be possible, but the Triang Hornby M7 has massive driving wheels

The prototype M7 had 5'7" drivers, the same as the Stanier 0-4-4 and an inch bigger than my Q1 but the 14xx drivers seem to sit much better under the body.

They did put smaller wheels on a later version made 1985-88.

• Informative/Useful 3

2 hours ago, Captain Pugbash said:

some progress, handrail fitted, chimney changed, safety valve cover added
plonk it it front of a station, add some figures, faff around with some filters and it looks somewhat like an old photograph

PHOTO.jpg

It looks like something from a reprint of a novel by Charles Dickens! Nice work.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, LNWR18901910 said:

So far, so good! I hope it can run well in both directions. The cab windows are rather too Jinty-like, so perhaps a different cab might work?

not bothered about it realy, also, at the moment it can't run at all, it has no motor, plus since that pic i've added a GWR style bonnet and a different chimney, planning to fit a new smokebox door and a westinghouse pump, so the jinty windows won't be that obvious