Show us your Pugbashes, Nellieboshes, Desmondifications, Jintysteins

Corbs

Your right of corse Terry its the way of the future but where's the fun?

It's almost like its all gone full circle where the white metal kit builders made models tweeked to fit RTR chassis do you think were going back to those days except the bodies will be 3D printed and not white metal 

Edited by Londontram
Spelling correction
  • Agree 3

9 hours ago, cypherman said:

With the similarity of the N2 to the Class 45 tank one wonders if this was Hornby Dublo's attempt to pass the N2 of as one.

G&SWR class 45 0-6-2 tank.jpg

wrenn gwr n2.jpg

Well let's be honest at that period the major manufacturers were still catering for what was still mainly a table top toy industry and were only on the cusp of the precision model for serious moddlers period that we know now and there was a general disregard for authenticity across the board. 

The N2 your showing here is a good example being (if original) in a fictional GWR livery.  

The loco its self is just non descript enough to be able to pass as other types of locos but rather than a deliberate attempt to build it so it could also pass as a G&SWR 45 class is probably just coincident and if anything if the people in charge could look forward to this discussion they would probably be kicking them selves at missing the opertunaty to broaden the range and appeal  of there toy.

• Like 3

thanks to all who liked my bashes. I am fascinated by the brutality of the camera.  You build what you think is a goodish model then photograph it and it looks way worse!  Back to the drawing board. I don't usually photograph my models I think I will in future as an aid to improving them.

This thread is constantly fascinating what peope produce froma few fairly basic items seems to have no real limits..

Bash on folks.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

3 hours ago, robert17649 said:

thanks to all who liked my bashes. I am fascinated by the brutality of the camera.  You build what you think is a goodish model then photograph it and it looks way worse!  Back to the drawing board. I don't usually photograph my models I think I will in future as an aid to improving them.

This thread is constantly fascinating what peope produce froma few fairly basic items seems to have no real limits..

Bash on folks.

Hi Robert.

I cannot agree with you more. Some of the models that I have done looked great until I took pictures of them and posted them here. Then some glaring error leap straight out of the page at you. Like this 3mt with wonky valve gear. I have sorted it out now as it turned out to be a screw holding the back part of the valve gear down had come loose.

3mt 2.jpg

Edited by cypherman
  • Like 2

Hi all,

Ok I have taken the plunge and just ordered a Wrenn N2  to have a go at making a Class 45 0-6-2  or a X class DRUMMOND 0-6-4. Need to get some bits together such as a GWR style valve cover. Perhaps one from the Triang pannier will do if I cut it down a bit. Only Class 45 No. 16905, survived into British Railways (BR) ownership in 1948 and this was withdrawn the same year without receiving its BR number. So do I make it LMS or put a fictional BR number on it. As for the X class none survived into BR days so it will be an LMS number. So it is just the question of which one do I have crack at. Or I may end up doing both. We shall see. I have a problem with things like this. When I upgraded my Stanier 2-6-4 tank I ended up doing 4 of them. Same with the Lima small prairies Started with one and ended up with 3.......... :heat::pleasantry:

Here is a picture of an X class.

LMS DRUMMOND 0-6-4 TANK LOCO 1.jpg

Edited by cypherman
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, cypherman said:

Hi all,

Ok I have taken the plunge and just ordered a Wrenn N2  to have a go at making a Class 45 0-6-2  or a X class DRUMMOND 0-6-4. Need to get some bits together such as a GWR style valve cover. Perhaps one from the Triang pannier will do if I cut it down a bit. Only Class 45 No. 16905, survived into British Railways (BR) ownership in 1948 and this was withdrawn the same year without receiving its BR number. So do I make it LMS or put a fictional BR number on it. As for the X class none survived into BR days so it will be an LMS number. So it is just the question of which one do I have crack at. Or I may end up doing both. We shall see. I have a problem with things like this. When I upgraded my Stanier 2-6-4 tank I ended up doing 4 of them. Same with the Lima small prairies Started with one and ended up with 3.......... :heat::pleasantry:

Here is a picture of an X class.

LMS DRUMMOND 0-6-4 TANK LOCO 1.jpg

Lack of funds and an already to long build list has made me shelve the idea to do the same at the moment but boy am I going to enjoy this build and am looking forward to it already.

• Like 1

Hi London Tram,

That's a great help. Do perhaps have any pictures looking down on theses engines showing the roof detail. The similarity between the N2 and the class 45 is frightening. Especially the ones that do not have the valve cover.

Many thanks,

Cypherman

I'll try and get my wife or sister in law get my G&SWR loco book down tomorrow and have a look to see what it says as I can't remember off hand.

I'm a bit hampered at the moment after a nasty fall pretty much smashed my right ankle and I've had to have a bed made up down stairs.

It's been pinned and screwed together but I can't walk on it for another 6 or so weeks.

Here's the limit of my world for the time being.

20200908_185243.jpg

Edited by Londontram
Spelling correction
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Londontram said:

I'm a bit hampered at the moment after a nasty fall pretty much smashed my right ankle

Very sorry to hear that. 

3 minutes ago, Londontram said:

I've had to have a bed made up down stairs.

It's been pinned and screwed together but I can't walk on it for another 6 or so weeks.

... but really you should get a professional joiner to assemble your bed frame!

• Funny 3

57 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Very sorry to hear that. 

... but really you should get a professional joiner to assemble your bed frame!

Wet plaster? Green scatter? Z gauge track? Rack railway up your foot! Failing that, tray table railway......!

• Like 4
  • Funny 1

12 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

The Class 45 photos showing Ross pop safety valves - is that a Caley boiler?

Well I've had a good look through the "Locomotives of the Glasgow & South Western Railway" by David L Smith. A fairly old but reasonable book but the information is scant and scattered through the book and there is no drawings. The locos were built in two batches the first Batch by Drummond who also designed the 0-6-4 tanks for the Highland then later a second batch by Whitelegg to basically the same design with just detail changes but there's no mention of fitting Caley boilers or of changes to the safety valve arangment.

Sorry that's about all I've got

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

While were looking at G&SWR designs I've often thought of a loose scale model of one of these a G&SWR class 266 0-4-4.

I reckon a cut and shut with two Nellie bodies part of the second body to extend the boiler between the dome and cab including the tanks and the front half of the cab on the second body turned around to make the back half of the cab on the new loco.

Other changes would be to flatten off the lip on the rear of the bunker,  and after moving the chassis forward slightly and fitting slightly larger Jinty wheels with plasticard splashers and the rear bogie could be a Triang Lord of the Isles front bogie often seen on ebay for a few pounds.

Certainly an unusual veriation of the popular 0-4-4 loco and the modeling world is definitely short of RTR Scottish locomotives.

Photo credits from Locomotives of the Glasgow & South Western railway and an image captured off the web.

20200116_092646.jpg

20200107_091429.jpg

• Like 12

Hi Londontram.

I am very sorry to hear of your accident. I hope you get over it quickly. Again many thanks for the  pictures. I do have my eye on a second cheap H/D N2 on Ebay. Reason it is cheap is that it is a quite poor 2 rail conversion and I do not know if it is worth the effort to fix it. Or would I be better off buying a slightly dearer but better mechanically conditioned  one.

I think perhaps that an old Triang M7 chassis would fit the bill for that class 266 engine.

Edited by cypherman
  • Like 3

I can see it now, Jinty front end from forwards of the tanks, Cut back on the M7 coal bunker. Adjust the side window space with a file.. I think that a suitable bogie wheel set could be found. I have one somewhere that was originally on a Swiss Tri Bo electric engine that would fit the bill or as you say the Lord of the Isles front bogie. Then sort the safety valves out. There's the basic shape taking place. My god another project taking place. "Will this never end. I say will it never end".............. :)

• Like 3