Show us your Pugbashes, Nellieboshes, Desmondifications, Jintysteins

Corbs

19 minutes ago, alastairq said:

I'm not sure I find the 266 class a visually 'balanced' engine? Looks a bit too short for my eyes....

Hi Alastair,

You are right. It does look like a cut and shut engine. Looks like it should have been an 0-6-2 but modified into an 0-4-4 By shortening the bunker and replacing the back driving wheel and pony with the one fitted that looks like it came off a carriage.

• Like 1

On 17/10/2020 at 14:57, robert17649 said:

couple more GER no 227 from one of those odd 0-4-0's by Hornby and a manning wardle from a pug100_6843.JPG.5b4a4fb202ae5b2424dc3710a2c33ee5.JPG

100_6850.JPG

I'd be interested in a little more detail about GER 227 (a Hill Y5 I think?) Is this based on the Pug?

I could use one of these on the Boxfile, though whether the mechanism would be up to the job is another matter...

• Craftsmanship/clever 2

227 is a rebuild of the Hornby Queen Mary 0-4-0. bunker removed and new cab rear. boiler shortened to match the GERS drawing, which involves a bit of shortening of the footplate, which I did not do that well. The chassis was originally a pug but I scratch built it eventually using the pug as a template. Power is a Mashima open frame motor with a  50:1 gearbox and flywheel, wheels are 15mm Romfords with balance weights from milliput. The valve gear is modified N gauge stuff I had in the spares box and it took me an age to get it to run proper. The tank sides need overlays so that the left side bunker can be included.

I guess that you could use a pug chassis but would need Walschaerts valve gear from somewhere.

The cylinders are from an old set of princess stuff again in spares box  and the slide bars are from a pug. chimney is   an old Nu Cast chimney in the spares box,  dome a Hornby southern dome clacks are from Hornby  Schools and all other bits out of the spares box. This loco has been in my to do box for ages and the lockdown got me to finally get on with it. The photo exposed a few problems the cylinder angle were wrong ride height off and lettering rubbish, since mostly corrected.

The LNER classified them (all four I think ) as Y4. and by that time 227 had a shorter chimney and cab with cutouts like the others.

As regards the Pug mechanism I have found that weight +++ helps a lot as does a feedback controller and a lot of running in. Filing the axle slots and reaming out the gear wheel to 3mm does enable rewheeling with romgord axles but you gots to be careful.

Hope that helps.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

As a matter of interest I have a number of bashed pugs  made into various things  all run at a crawl with megatons of weight liquid gravity old tyre weights and lead sheet. about 75g is ok with a gaugemaster feed back controller to gain a creep. if you can get more weight in it helps, and using a small pivot on the front axle to sort of compensate really does help running.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Londontram said:

Well I've had a good look through the "Locomotives of the Glasgow & South Western Railway" by David L Smith. A fairly old but reasonable book but the information is scant and scattered through the book and there is no drawings. The locos were built in two batches the first Batch by Drummond who also designed the 0-6-4 tanks for the Highland then later a second batch by Whitelegg to basically the same design with just detail changes but there's no mention of fitting Caley boilers or of changes to the safety valve arangment.

Sorry that's about all I've got

IIR, the GSWR fleet could not be fitted with Caley boilers -as were several of the Highland ones, which gave them decades more life, and the LMS standardisation plan for the Northern Division was firmly concentrated on CR locos. The HR banking tank was an exception, hence its early withdrawal, and I would imagine that Drummond's GSWR clone had the same problem. As for boiler fittings, these seemed to be selected at random during overhauls, going by pictures of often the same engine over the years.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, sem34090 said:

At a guess modellers of the Glasgow & South Western...

Then they can get on and build there own and let him enjoy his modeling the way he wants to Do it.

She'll we pick up all our toys where we've thrown them out our prams and leave it at that now before it spoils this most enjoyable thread

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, TurboSnail said:

Quick, someone post a Pugbash to get the thread back on track! (Train puns are always intended)

Here's one slowly working it's way through the paint shop.

IMG_20201021_095747.jpg.7ce3ea6b1ef3e9e9426aca6a06d3a0dd.jpg

Wow I like that can you tell us more about it please

• Like 1

It's mostly just a normal Dapol/Hornby Pug (I think this was a Hornby one) picked up cheap secondhand with a few livery issues. I've replaced the big motor with a much smaller one that hides in the backhead, hence why it's so large for a small loco (the backhead is removable if motor maintenance is required in future). The cab walls and floor are a 3D printed design I made up with influence from several small contractor loco designs from the late 1800s.

You'll note the cylinder covers are missing - I'm experimenting at the moment with making crossheads and the piston rod so that it has a representation of the motion. The slidebars and bits will be a bit chunky really, but I don't want to go into replacing the whole lot, so we'll see how that turns out.

Other than that, it's fairly simple tweaks; replacement buffers (the original dumb buffers just twist off easily), replacement chimney (a razor saw + files job) and a repaint. I still need to add the reverser (which is on the wrong side! -doh-), brake standard, whistle, and paint all the detail bits in brass, copper and so on. 

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, TurboSnail said:

I've replaced the big motor with a much smaller one that hides in the backhead, hence why it's so large for a small loco (the backhead is removable if motor maintenance is required in future

Hi Tom,

That's a fantastic piece of work.  Would you mind telling us a little more about the motor replacement?  I ask as I imagine I am not the only one who thinks that you have found a solution to improving the pug in its original form.

Thanks and regards,

Alex.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 13/10/2020 at 02:54, 33C said:

Just a couple of my early attempts to try out my weathering techniques and a "what can you do with these two!". Lastly, a "Nellie" conversion done a few years back. Hope you like....20201013_023418.jpg.72af9deadd8e7a777af6372e9e4d7016.jpg

20201013_023458.jpg

20201013_023841.jpg

20201013_023856.jpg

20201013_023545.jpg

That Ogee tank looks great. What chassis is it on?

(actually, all those bashes look really nice, but I was particularly taken by the Ogee tank).

Well done,

Ben

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BenNewland said:

That Ogee tank looks great. What chassis is it on?

(actually, all those bashes look really nice, but I was particularly taken by the Ogee tank).

Well done,

Ben

Thanx, It's a bog standard "Nellie" chassis with shaped Hall cylinders and shortened valve gear. (cut and drilled), Desmond smokebox/boiler with balsa block glued on top and shaped to an ogee. The rest is plasticard. It's a G.E.R. 209 , L.N.E.R. Y5 class, like the one that was plinthed at Woolwich.

Edited by 33C
added detail
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

Working on the improved crosshead and motion for the pug chassis - after lots of fiddly wire and superglue work, it seems to be working! Not perfect, but definitely an improvement on the chunky cylinder covers for the locos I'm looking to represent.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
On 20/10/2020 at 22:47, Ben Alder said:

IIR, the GSWR fleet could not be fitted with Caley boilers -as were several of the Highland ones, which gave them decades more life, and the LMS standardisation plan for the Northern Division was firmly concentrated on CR locos. The HR banking tank was an exception, hence its early withdrawal, and I would imagine that Drummond's GSWR clone had the same problem. As for boiler fittings, these seemed to be selected at random during overhauls, going by pictures of often the same engine over the years.

The LMS did build replacement boilers for the GSWR 0-6-2T and some of the Highland tanks were fitted with these.

I have read that the reason for their early withdrawal was cracked frames.

• Informative/Useful 3

Hi all,

My latest bash is finished. Think it could come under the Jinty Steins as it is not an 0-4-0. H/D N2 into a Drummond Class 45 0-6-2. The Diecast metal body was Really tough to work with. For full details on this engine see my Class 45 Drummond thread if your interested.

DSC_0959.JPG

DSC_0957.JPG

DSC_0955.JPG

DSC_0958.JPG

DSC_0956.JPG

Edited by cypherman
  • Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1