Show us your Pugbashes, Nellieboshes, Desmondifications, Jintysteins

Corbs

9 hours ago, Sophia NSE said:

She's not the biggest, or the most powerful, and she has an odd coloured buffer which I think gives her character, but she's all my own work!

IMG20201103211904.jpg.a16c9446c73488a76ad76f064e1da5f5.jpg

IMG20201103211911.jpg.9c3208a9e68a33ef01abf18b01ae1ea0.jpg

which is all that counts. It's easy to buy something RTR but much more fun and rewarding to DIY IMHO.

• Agree 3

6 hours ago, TurboSnail said:

Based on a H Class? Or a Q or an R1, there were a few pretty similar ones, though the pagoda cab suggests H.

Like the livery, looks very smart. Here's another Wrenn R1 bash with it!

IMG_20201103_133649.jpg

Based on the rebuild of the Q, the imaginatively named Q1.  I am quite tempted to backdate one of the many R1 bodies I have to an R, maybe with the cut down chimney for the Canterbury & Whitstable

• Like 1

So yesterday I thought I'd have a go at modifying a Hornby 101 to make it a victorian styled 0-4-2 passenger loco. I cut off the end of the chassis and the body, and for the back axle I shortened the chassis from a kitmaster interfrigo van kit. The back bufferbeam is from a kitmaster school's class, and so are the steps and the brass pipe attached to the chassis. The guard rails covering the cab exits are also from the interfrigo kit. I know realistically, there would be no reason to extend the chassis as the bunker is still the same (however I may replace it in the future) but either way I like how it looks and it adds interest.

20201107_215010.jpg

20201107_215018.jpg

20201107_215043.jpg

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jack Benson

Hi,

The humble Brighton E2, has anyone tried to improve this old timer? I have begun by acquiring a better lost-wax Weir feedpump and some nice buffers for the body.

The chassis really needs a total rebuild or expensive replacement with the SEF etched version. Any previous experience, unfortunately the search device fails to reveal anything.

Thank you and Stay Safe

Guest Jack Benson
19 hours ago, Corbs said:

You can swap the newer Hornby Thomas (made in china) chassis which is much better running :)

Not quite sure how to identify the Thomas chassis, is this a Thomas chassis, it runs like a mad hare?

IMG_0207.JPG.d0eb48e8958b2a195ed611cb66893f6e.JPG

Thank you

While sorting in my garage today, looking for something else, came across this  Jinty.  I think I picked it up at a Frome show a few years ago, I think I haggled the price down a bit! 

Body is distorted and pick-ups a bit dodgy but it does run, and not as slow and jerky as expected.

Inspired by this thread, now pondering on the possibilities, thinking about an industrial diesel perhaps.20201117_133453.jpg.3f435b6f5439c802c873a9d6910975ab.jpg20201117_133611.jpg.9280ecf75299d8d30c084dafbecc2585.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
59 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

Funny how the plastic used by Triang in that era always distorts.  Every 47606 I've ever seen is "bent" and as for their shorty carriages......

My 47606 says Tri-ang on the body although the chassis is a bit newer I believe as it has open spoked wheels. As you can see from the photo I am pleased to say my model is in one piece and straight. I bought it as a OO replacement for my original which was a TT version I was given by my parents for Christmas in 1962 to replace the useless LoneStar Lectric set they had bought me 18 months earlier for my 6th birthday. 

IMG_20201117_221427.jpg

Edited by Chris116
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Northmoor said:

Funny how the plastic used by Triang in that era always distorts.  Every 47606 I've ever seen is "bent" and as for their shorty carriages......

Triang switched from using cellulose acetate to polystyrene in about 1956 (fortunately the year my grandfather bought my father and uncle a Princess set for Christmas). Acetate models tended to warp, polystyrene ones survive much better. Certainly my father's 47606 (and two I bought for spares) seem to have survived without warping so far, despite 40+ years in my father's loft in the case of the former.

(by contrast the two acetate models I was given a coupe of months back both display some slight warping but not to the extent of Theo's.

• Informative/Useful 1

Hi all,

Northmoor the plastic warped because it was made of cellulose acetate. It was highly unstable and would warp by you just looking at it. Tri-ang switched to polystyrene about 1956 which stopped the warping.

Theo you will need to file down the wheels on that engine or swap them for later ones to get it to run on modern track.

These are my 2 old Jinty's plus my SECR X class that had the same old solid wheels till i swapped them out for newer see through wheels. So it can be done. Uses the same size wheels as the later Triang Jinty. The Jinty's I did over 40 years ago so they are not quite up to modern standards

DSC_0818.JPG

DSC_0814.JPG

DSC_0819.JPG

DSC_0876.JPG

DSC_0875.JPG

DSC_0873.JPG

Edited by cypherman
  • Like 9

On 17/11/2020 at 10:49, Jack Benson said:

Not quite sure how to identify the Thomas chassis, is this a Thomas chassis, it runs like a mad hare?

IMG_0207.JPG.d0eb48e8958b2a195ed611cb66893f6e.JPG

That is the 1978 'new' Jinty chassis, complete with appropriate sandboxes between the wheels. I'm not sure if Thomas ever had that chassis as they went over to the SSPP chassis in 1985 and that may have been before the E2 was converted into Thomas. It should be interchangeable with it though.

• 2 weeks later...