Show us your Pugbashes, Nellieboshes, Desmondifications, Jintysteins

Corbs

Having attached the push/pull pumps and pipework, that last remaining moulded pump just wasn't cutting it anymore. So off it came to be replaced by the last one from an H. It looks much better now to me.

IMG20201210145138.jpg.27f106c6386cf7373828a8cd4039190d.jpg

I also gave the ashpan a bit of fettling and attached some sanding equipment from a Hornby 14xx. The Q1 has definitely come a long way since the beginning 

IMG20201210145153.jpg.f10250c795d27465290a3696b4f1875f.jpg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

19 minutes ago, Mountain Goat said:

What does she run like?

I was hoping no one would ask:lol_mini:

She wasn't running at all until I have the motor a quick wipe over. Could do with a proper clean of the motor and wheels and a bit of oiling, but there was semi decent movement a couple of days ago. Need to invest in proper cleaning and oiling equipment though

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Sophia NSE said:

She wasn't running at all until I have the motor a quick wipe over. Could do with a proper clean of the motor and wheels and a bit of oiling, but there was semi decent movement a couple of days ago. Need to invest in proper cleaning and oiling equipment though

Still movement in the right direction, pun intended. 
In all seriousness, at least you know it works, even if it needs a clean.

• Friendly/supportive 1

14 hours ago, Sophia NSE said:

I think you mentioned it having a 14xx running chassis. These did have a few issues, but there are ways to overcome them. One was that the pickups were a bit weak. Another was there was a pick up shaft between the motor and the bottom pickup plate which went through a hole in the main structure of the chassis block. They were prone to touching and causing a direct short, and as it was not that visible, it could leave owners baffled as to what was going on! This can easily be remedied by making a little sleeve out of insulation tape around the motor pick up shaft (Pin thing). As long as the current gets to the pickup plate below and does not find its way to touch the main chassis block all will be ok. 

There was a third issue with some of them in that the 5 pole motors were not balanced but the one I had (Airfix) was silky smooth! I no longer own it, but I do have a spare chassis. Not sure if it runs or not. If it does not, I can always use it for spares. 

Your wheels are interesting. Are they Romfords?

Edited by Mountain Goat
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 hours ago, Mountain Goat said:

I think you mentioned it having a 14xx running chassis. These did have a few issues, but there are ways to overcome them. One was that the pickups were a bit weak. Another was there was a pick up shaft between the motor and the bottom pickup plate which went through a hole in the main structure of the chassis block. They were prone to touching and causing a direct short, and as it was not that visible, it could leave owners baffled as to what was going on! This can easily be remedied by making a little sleeve out of insulation tape around the motor pick up shaft (Pin thing). As long as the current gets to the pickup plate below and does not find its way to touch the main chassis block all will be ok. 

There was a third issue with some of them in that the 5 pole motors were not balanced but the one I had (Airfix) was silky smooth! I no longer own it, but I do have a spare chassis. Not sure if it runs or not. If it does not, I can always use it for spares. 

Your wheels are interesting. Are they Romfords?

The Hornby chassis that was giving me issues has been resoldered and is now working again, though the wheels need cleaning. The Q1 is on a K's chassis (don't judge me! :D) with a plasticard bogie that has Alan Gibson wheels. No idea what the driving wheels are.

Ordered some IPA so I can get the wheels cleaned in the next few days

Edited by Sophia NSE
More words
  • Like 1

If you're stuck for IPA then meths will do almost as good a job on wheels, with maybe a bit more agitation. For really awkward crudded wheels I use one of the glassfibre brush pens and slowly work my way round the wheel with it, dipping the end of the brush in the meths to clean off what it's picked up. I usually only have to do this to the very old grey metal wheels on Triang and very early Hornby, the later nickel-plated wheels let go their collected muck with just the aid of a cotton-wool bud. Don't forget to clean the backs of the wheels where the pickups rub, and the plastic bogie wheels can also benefit from cleaning even though they're not doing any electrical work.

5 hours ago, Sophia NSE said:

The Hornby chassis that was giving me issues has been resoldered and is now working again, though the wheels need cleaning. The Q1 is on a K's chassis (don't judge me! :D) with a plasticard bogie that has Alan Gibson wheels. No idea what the driving wheels are.

Ordered some IPA so I can get the wheels cleaned in the next few days

Alan Gibson took over from Romford. I am a bit behind the times. I call them Romford. :D

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Mountain Goat said:

Alan Gibson took over from Romford. I am a bit behind the times. I call them Romford. :D

Markits took over from Romford, and continued to produce and expand the range.

Alan Gibson Workshop had been around a long time when that happened, though under new ownership following  Alan's retirement.

John

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

If I may add my own small take on Nellie... a work in progress though nearly done. One of the blue ersatz S&DJR models from the 70s with a can motor. Found in very depressed condition with no chimney, buffers and whistle for £2 on a bric a brac stall. Rebuilt using whatever was in the spares box (sorry Nellie) but I think it passes muster! 

New chimney (ahem), whistle, safety valve, steps, buffers, lamp irons, brass surrounds to front and rear cab windows, smoke box dark and lots of handrails. Still need to tidy the front up though beneath the windows! 

Real coal still to be added plus some tidying. Finished in Precision BR Freight Maroon and a dusting of roof dirt. Rods in LMS Lining yellow...

Anyway, meet Merlin. 

DA15F33C-4375-40B7-BD57-4E3EEB141705.jpeg

24DBE0D2-949C-41FF-BE94-46CC95D67250.jpeg

• Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 1

4 hours ago, Firecrest said:

If I may add my own small take on Nellie... a work in progress though nearly done. One of the blue ersatz S&DJR models from the 70s with a can motor. Found in very depressed condition with no chimney, buffers and whistle for £2 on a bric a brac stall. Rebuilt using whatever was in the spares box (sorry Nellie) but I think it passes muster! 

New chimney (ahem), whistle, safety valve, steps, buffers, lamp irons, brass surrounds to front and rear cab windows, smoke box dark and lots of handrails. Still need to tidy the front up though beneath the windows! 

Real coal still to be added plus some tidying. Finished in Precision BR Freight Maroon and a dusting of roof dirt. Rods in LMS Lining yellow...

Anyway, meet Merlin. 

Couldn't you find a bigger chimney?

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
59 minutes ago, Firecrest said:

It's a Lost Wax casting that had been sat in the spares box looking lost for a long time! At least it didn't stand it on its buffers and you just don't get enough spark arrestors these days... I think it quite suits her actually

Now you just need to build a paper mill for her to shunt about in.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

6 hours ago, Firecrest said:

Anyway, meet Merlin. 

Two words.
THAT ROCKS.
Chimney maketh the locomotive.

• Like 2
  • Funny 1