Show us your Pugbashes, Nellieboshes, Desmondifications, Jintysteins

Corbs

On 27/12/2020 at 11:11, Adam FW said:

thanks Steve, I’m certainly very proud of this model and it was a major step forwards for my modelling both virtually on CAD and in the more traditional cutting, sanding, painting sense 

I treat this a bash as opposed to one of my body kits as it isn’t accurate to anything and was never meant to be. It may look like a manning wardle but really it’s a combination of different manning wardle features that never necessarily went together that have been stretched and squashed to fit on a modified RTR chassis

I too am amazed by some of the skills that people have to make craft their own bashes. Personally I’ve never been very good at hand making anything, give me a ruler and a craft knife and I’ll cut a wonky line, but I can do 3d modelling and printing which I see as just a different way to get to the same end result, ultimately we all work with the skills and tools that we have and this thread is a great place to see all those different techniques in use

looking back at my post from 6 months ago I never did provide an update on the model. Well here is the nearly finished ‘Corsair’, I just need to find a nice Edwardian style loco crew to finish it off

D5DF0868-4B51-45FC-BCF4-B8F849F1A201.jpeg.f4a773513421ee4104596e73c155f1cc.jpeg92CE082B-36E2-40D7-9CF0-9B3BAD479488.jpeg.9af99f869f33ec79ff313ebea682967a.jpeg75F6C693-6CAC-4401-A68A-8E1DEFD7C08E.jpeg.68ff24e78214910853edb3437f545233.jpeg

I am looking at this model ad it is lovely. The painting and lining are supurb and the uniquness of its shape... Everything about it looks to a similar high standard as todays fine standards one sees the RTR manufacturers achieving. It is really great. 

• Agree 4

4 hours ago, sem34090 said:

I'd argue possibly more so than with many scratch-builds as there's an expectation for greater accuracy.

I must be an exception to that rule. The models I make I do not aim for a greater accuracy but rather I aim for a greater consistancy and character. My models are lacking in fine detail. The details I add are more suggestions to make the mind see an overall picture of what the model is rather then being an exact scale replica. But an exact scale replica of what? I love freelance modelling! 

And my models can't be described as accurate. Some may be shocked, but my locos and coaches are painted in gloss! (Matt for the rest of the stock). 

But what I do aim for is an illusion of realizm which is a different concept to aiming for accuracy which works for me as for years I had been trying and failing to meet even the standards of the past, let alone trying to make my models match todays fine standards... But with these "Failures", they were only failures because Iwas adopting the wrong approach. If I tried to match todays standards I would likely never get there. 

But with my current outlook on modelling style I can achieve. I am achieving consistency. Consistency is key! I was never able to achieve consistency in the past even with RTR models, as one thought ones older models were lovely until one of the new super detailed models came out and made the rest of my fleet look like toys! 

But as I aim for consistency I can achieve (Or hope to achieve) an overall picture of a scene through my modelling if I ever get things finished! Haha! 

An example of inconsistency that had to be corrected. I bought some lovely 0-16.5 Peco coach kits that were pre-coloured. These are lovely BUT, the lovely green livery with the fine lining made my painting attempts look crude. So the solution? The only sollution? I painted over these kits which gave them the consistency to match my modelling style, and it works well for me.

Edited by Mountain Goat
  • Like 11

Where's that lid for the worm tin? Some of the above points made regarding 3D, made me think. Going by the work involved in producing a model, it sounds more like manufacturing. 10 years hence i assume this will become the norm for most people, to have a printer that can do anything you need. Your own cottage industry. Will the bigger producers survive, e.g. Hornby, etc. With the quality of the prints i see on here, i think not.......Anyway, Nellie/Fleischmann BASH to C14 and a quick repaint for the D to Ford works shunter......

20201229_012631.jpg

20201229_012657.jpg

Edited by 33C
added detail
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold

Indeed :lol:

Don't know about 'pugs' but this is definitely a 'bash'. Currently I am trying to make 2 x Toy Story bodies into a lesser-spotted Hammerhead Locomotive.....

The cab will likely not be permanent!

9D0DDDB0-7BFE-4F4D-A008-3CF69B8D03DC_1_105_c.jpeg.5bd873fc34c140062f0534562b7e4914.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 1

I can't see the argument against 3D-printing, if taken a step further, you could argue that injection-moulding isn't modelling?

In terms of relevance to this thread,  I can't see any difference between battering away at an injection-moulded body or crafting a 3D-printed upperworks to go on a chassis, the end-result is what counts.

• Like 3
  • Agree 5

1 minute ago, Corbs said:

Don't know about 'pugs' but this is definitely a 'bash'. Currently I am trying to make 2 x Toy Story bodies into a lesser-spotted Hammerhead Locomotive.....

9D0DDDB0-7BFE-4F4D-A008-3CF69B8D03DC_1_105_c.jpeg.5bd873fc34c140062f0534562b7e4914.jpeg

Now this i like. It's got the lot! Fairlie, Metropolitan, GWR, Baldwin, Northern line influences. Keep the cab!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Corbs said:

I completely forgot those toy story locos existed,

I like your model, it's like a cross between a camelback loco and a double fairlie with quad chimneys (or dual double chimneys maybe?), its certainly original but I think you can take the weirdness a step further, remove the coupling rods and add cylinders to each end to get a duplex drive loco, then you just need to find a confused looking loco crew for it :laugh_mini:

• Like 3

On 04/10/2020 at 22:08, TurboSnail said:

Not strictly a Pugbash, but the chassis here might be of interest to some here - a Dapol/Hornby Pug chassis, with a new motor and flywheel combo. Takes up less space than the original and is a little smoother, and I'm looking to find a slightly bigger flywheel to improve matters further.

The loco body is an Avonside design I've done, and just clips on to the chassis and secures with one screw at the front. 

I have other plans for re-motoring another Pug, which hopefully will actually be a Pugbash, so more on that anon

image.png.f7fb74af192d8420b847999875597ef7.png

Hi Tom

Did you ever make the loco body etc available to buy? It has such nice proportions!

Steve S

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Is waiting for the glue to harden / paint dry modelling? YES.

Totally agree - it is part of the modelling process! Not waiting for the glue to harden / paint to dry results in disappointment!

(Like when I repaired a broken satuette for my mother and lifted it before the glue had set ... the head fell off again and didn't survive the fall to the floor!)

(Or when I painted the lounge wall "chocolate" brown one Christmas Eve to surprise my (now ex) wife ... her (high pitched, slightly hysterical because visitors were due in five hours) reaction on Christmas morning ("Why is my wall coloured MERDE brown?!") led to me repainting it a lighter colour there and then, only to discover it hadn't yet properly dried! The resulting colour was ... unique!)

HOURS OF REGRETS FUN!

Edited by SteveyDee68
RMWeb quite rightly edited out a 'rude' word, but which was accurately quoted to demonstrate the strength of the reaction in an emotional context!
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Dearest Pugbashers, Nellyboshers, Desmondifiers and Drs Jintystein

Having - at last - caught up with this thread from the very first page after several days of reading, I feel like my modelling mojo has been given a long overdue kick up the backside! This thread mixes talent, imagination, skills, accuracy, humour, knowledge and creativity from every corner of the RMWeb! I applaud every single contributor, whether a confident, seasoned modeller or an intrepid, nervous newbie - it is a rich tapestry that is woven here, and any one colour-filled thread can inspire a reader to pull on it, tease it out and ultimately to add back to the amazing technicoloured whole!

May I also take this opportunity to apologise if I opened a "can of worms" regarding the issue of 3D printing... in my defence, I think the ensuing discussions have been interesting and highly informative. I agree, though, that we should avoid denouncing anything as "not modelling".

My late father trained and spent his working life as a draughtsman, and he applied his skills to his modelling, quickly translating highly detailed drawings to crisp, crystal-clear working drawings that showed exactly what shape to cut, exactly how long, what depth and type of material etc. That, to me, is as much modelling as cutting a piece of plasticard with a craft knife.

As he approached retirement, CAD was just being introduced into his work environment. He never took to it (nor to computers), and whilst the new staff - all with degrees - grappled with the necessary actions to "draw" eg a threaded bolt of a certain diameter and length for a drawing, he would have completed the entire, annotated drawing by hand. He did, however, argue that CAD was the future, because once something was defined it was repeatable and could also form the template of anything similar. (Had he been just a little younger and not so close to retiring, I am certain he would have embraced CAD and later CAM (in this instance, 3D printing) in his own model-making.)

I found Adam FW's earlier post thought provoking, and very well argued. He finished by asking,  "What is modelling? That is the real question." To perhaps answer that may I point out what I was particularly struck by in his post - his use of the verb/noun "model".

To create a 3D printed model (noun), you must first model (verb) it in software. Surely anything that you do to create something should be considered as "modelling"?  We are used to seeing virtual models in the films we watch - CGI is modelling, whether to remove modern objects in the landscape from a period drama or to recreate a famous and sadly deceased actor in a blockbuster franchise. Likewise, creating a virtual scale model of a railway-related object (whether a loco, wagon, building or the smallest of details) in a computer is also railway modelling; in 3D printing, that virtual model is then simply translated into an analogue representation (physical model).

Much earlier in this very thread a discussion arose regarding the colour of the woodwork for a tram loco, and one contributor made some valid points and also revealed that she made virtual models in a train simulator on a computer, which allowed her to model an entire branchline (if I remember correctly). She was not constrained by physical space limits; no unprototypically sharp curves for her; no concerns about wiring up points or which sound chip/speaker combination she might fit into a loco. Her 'layout' was 'built' entirely within a computer program; she could, should she so wish, "exhibit" her layout anywhere in the world with an internet connection! Her layout is limited only by her imagination, and can be as detailed or as impressionist as she wants.

Nobody at the time denounced what she was doing as not modelling. Her comments about altering the virtual model were implicitly accepted as acts of modelling, the same as physically repainting or adding details to an analogue model would be.

Perhaps somewhat philosophical and off-topic for a thread about bashing pugs (hope Google Police don't misinterpret that the wrong way and send the RSPCA around!) but having accidentally* started the discussion I felt obliged to throw my own 2p worth of thoughts into the ring! From here on in, I shall limit myself to "likes" and occasional questions until such time as my own efforts are ready to upload!

Thanks again to everyone on this most interesting of threads!

HOURS OF ARGUMENTS DISCUSSION FUN!

* I read my own earlier post with some bemusement, as I don't at all remember writing it! Then again, I haven't had a hangover since Christmas Day which, given how much I have been drinking since then, means I must still be drunk. Which probably excuses explains everything. I hope.

Edited by SteveyDee68
Quote added
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

3 hours ago, 33C said:

Anyway, Nellie/Fleischmann BASH to C14 and a quick repaint for the D to Ford works shunter......

20201229_012631.jpg

20201229_012657.jpg

Your paint job and lining on "Nellie" alone lift the model above the "toy" label, IMHO - going to take a long time for me to develop those painting skills, and as for chevrons... :O :help:

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Corbs said:

This looks very good. I’m intrigued by the possibilities of the Toy Story loco, but does the chassis run OK? I can’t work out if it shares a chassis with any of the other cheap Hornby locos.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Hi Tom

Did you ever make the loco body etc available to buy? It has such nice proportions!

Steve S

Not yet, it hopefully will be shortly though! Made some more progress on it since last posted, along with the other Pugbash.

IMG_20201229_103516.jpg.8238ed4096b6765c9a11f03dd654ce05.jpg

• Like 18
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Adam FW said:

I completely forgot those toy story locos existed,

I like your model, it's like a cross between a camelback loco and a double fairlie with quad chimneys (or dual double chimneys maybe?), its certainly original but I think you can take the weirdness a step further, remove the coupling rods and add cylinders to each end to get a duplex drive loco, then you just need to find a confused looking loco crew for it :laugh_mini:

Indeed it shall have 4 cylinders in an everlasting push-pull competition :D 

The mechanism is a little like Smokey Joe although not quite as fast.

• Like 1

Part scratchbuild, part finding things to do that doesn't cost me anything. Will it work? Unlikely

Do I care? No 

Will it help my skills in the future? Hopefully 

IMG20201229195955.jpg.f9a3badd80f1558dc5f3b50aef5f61c2.jpg

IMG20201229200002.jpg.6cdaf9020fa42b330d7be19441db8ccc.jpg

I've now done a little switching around and have the drive on the front wheels as I have a motor and pickup plate from an old M7 knocking around

• Like 7

On 28/12/2020 at 23:33, Corbs said:

What were the union rates for firing such a loco, two boilers = double wage?

I feel the cab should be longer towards both chimneys, give the fireman more elbow room to swing his short shovel.

Waiting to see the cylinder arrangements and where the bunkers go ?

Edited by relaxinghobby
add note

8 hours ago, Sophia NSE said:

Part scratchbuild, part finding things to do that doesn't cost me anything. Will it work? Unlikely

Do I care? No 

Will it help my skills in the future? Hopefully 

IMG20201229195955.jpg.f9a3badd80f1558dc5f3b50aef5f61c2.jpg

IMG20201229200002.jpg.6cdaf9020fa42b330d7be19441db8ccc.jpg

I've now done a little switching around and have the drive on the front wheels as I have a motor and pickup plate from an old M7 knocking around

How rigid is the plasticard chassis I tried once with 0.5 mm card. It was too flexible even on a short 0-4-0 chassis. Later I fixed it by super-gluing lumps of lead into the spaces to make a chassis shaped lump.

3 hours ago, relaxinghobby said:

How rigid is the plasticard chassis I tried once with 0.5 mm card. It was too flexible even on a short 0-4-0 chassis. Later I fixed it by super-gluing lumps of lead into the spaces to make a chassis shaped lump.

The plasticard I'm using is 1 mm so still pretty flexible at the moment. Should be more rigid once the motor and its mounting are in place

An auction site recent purchase. The chassis is modified "Nellie" but the body is made from what appears to be parts of an old, bakelite radio! See what bits you can identify........20201231_191415.jpg.2fa30cd88900a6b4bec1bcbeb2d1df7a.jpg

20201231_210708.jpg

Edited by 33C
  • Like 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 4

9 minutes ago, 33C said:

An auction site recent purchase. the chassis is modified "Nellie" but the body is made from what appears to be parts of an old, bakelite radio! See what bits you can identify........20201231_191415.jpg.2fa30cd88900a6b4bec1bcbeb2d1df7a.jpg

20201231_210708.jpg

This is what I imagine it would be like if Picasso did illustrations for Ivor the Engine/Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea crossover fiction. :jester: The loading gauge looks... interesting.

Actually, I think it looks great, though not in a scale/realistic modelling sense obviously. Are you going to rebuild it or leave as is?

• Funny 2

7 minutes ago, 009 micro modeller said:

This is what I imagine it would be like if Picasso did illustrations for Ivor the Engine/Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea crossover fiction. :jester: The loading gauge looks... interesting.

Actually, I think it looks great, though not in a scale/realistic modelling sense obviously. Are you going to rebuild it or leave as is?

All i did was re-motor with an ancient XO-4. The original, vertical can motor was on it's last legs but the drive gear does need redressing to mesh properly. She's staying "as built" as a tribute to what can be done with wot-u-got!

• Like 4