Show us your Pugbashes, Nellieboshes, Desmondifications, Jintysteins

Corbs

Why not chop off the whole bunker and rear cab spectacle plate, add a pivot pin, cut the end off a spare coach and remove one bogie, hook on and Bingo! Railmotor. (e.g. L.Y.R. 10617) :locomotive:

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, CinderMonkey said:

I like the straight frames and stockier profile, but yeah I'd agree the footplate needs to be longer. Usually rule of thumb is to make sure that someone can stand on the front to clean out the smoke box without the use of a plank (unless you're Bullied, then do what you want). I'd also encourage you to mess with some of the other dimensions to suit, cutting out those fake splashers may help (although that may reveal too much motor).

The proportions of that loco in its original form look wrong to me in other ways.  The smokebox seems very long for a very short boiler.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Ben Alder said:

A new arrival, IFAIK, on the butchery of innocent locomotives - an Oxford chop. Triggered off by a photoshopped pic on the FB page, it is a sort of cross between a Duke of Sutherland's private loco -he had these things - and Peter Drummond's take on his brother's Bug.

I have to say the driver's pose suggests "What have I been given here?"!

• Funny 10

6 hours ago, Ben Alder said:

A new arrival, IFAIK, on the butchery of innocent locomotives - an Oxford chop. Triggered off by a photoshopped pic on the FB page, it is a sort of cross between a Duke of Sutherland's private loco -he had these things - and Peter Drummond's take on his brother's Bug.

IMG_1853.JPG

Noice, I also saw your 9F tank on Facebook. Sometimes it just works. 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Ben Alder said:

IMG_1853.JPG

That's really cute. I love it!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

On 14/01/2021 at 12:11, cypherman said:

Hi all,

I have several of the Lima J50's plus a couple of Lima Panniers waiting in my boxes for such upgrades What I would like to know is has any one tried connecting the middle wheels to the conrods rather than letting them continue to freewheel. If so how did you do it and did it work out ok.

I used a spare leading wheel set with crankpins for the centre wheels and drilled the coupling rod to suit on a 94XX        You lose the up and down travel on the centre axle which affects pick up so have to cobble up pickups to bear on the tread or flange of the rear wheels as you can't use wheel back pickups on the drive side because of the drive gear.  Mine worked but i scrapped it in favour of a Bachmann chassis and I sold the drilled rods and centre wheels on eBay.  Sadly the Bachmann chassis then failed so its all in the scrap bin.   Meanwhile the Farish 94XX with Triang chassis the Lima 94XX  was supposed to replace remains in service and shows no sign of packing up.

• Informative/Useful 1

On 03/02/2021 at 02:01, Ben Alder said:

IMG_1853.JPG

It looks to me a bit like what you'd get if the LSWR tried to do Aerolite, or a larger version of the C14. Very neat!

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

4 hours ago, TangoOscarMike said:

I've been staying out of this thread (perhaps unnecessarily) because I offer these 3D printed bodies for sale. But I'm pleased enough with this engine to overcome my reticence. It is exactly what I had in mind when I started experimenting with replacement bodies for the Holden 101 chassis.

This paint job is more a matter of cunning than skill - the lining panels and the boiler bands are all waterslide transfers, printed with an ordinary inkjet printer. The difficulty with this technique is that it's necessary to get a good match between the printed colour and the painted colour. But that difficulty goes away if you have panels of colour on a black background.

katherine_00.png.134d36bb13259497892cc7cc1cb85493.png

katherine_01.png.c48cf13e830995118d825024965c01c2.png

katherine_02.png.2966cdad7f7599798c2f903182406759.png

katherine_03.png.135681cc065ba47642ffcd15a917abee.png

Hi Tom,

Never mind those, where is the streamliner, or is it not yet painted ?

Gibbo.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

On 06/02/2021 at 15:58, Gibbo675 said:

Never mind those, where is the streamliner, or is it not yet painted ?

Painting is proceeding in fits and starts - standard procedure for me. Mostly I've been working on the computer images for the lining.

streamliner_painting00.png.10a99ab51d2d6f3a5d7a00af26b651e2.png

I'm also adapting two Dapol figures for the crew. I'm elongating their jackets into coats (I started with a tube of Revell plastic putty, but found this too hard to work, so I switched to Green Stuff, which is what I should have used in the first place).

streamliner_crew00.png.78aa326a68962a4d3d8ade7f6baa0840.png

The fireman's hat is whittled from a piece of sprue, the brim is thin plasticard cut with a leather hole punch. There's a piece of wire inside for the alignment.

I'm now facing one of those big life choices (marry Liz or become a monk, study astrophysics or join a circus, cream or jam first on a scone.....). I must decide whether to give the driver a top hat or a bowler. Not a tricorn - that would be silly.

Edited by TangoOscarMike
Restoring pictures
  • Like 10
  • Funny 1

19 minutes ago, TangoOscarMike said:

Painting is proceeding in fits and starts - standard procedure for me. Mostly I've been working on the computer images for the lining.

streamliner_painting00.png.1c9ecc6193ed76dc07125dd18418c885.png

I'm also adapting two Dapol figures for the crew. I'm elongating their jackets into coats (I started with a tube of Revell plastic putty, but found this too hard to work, so I switched to Green Stuff, which is what I should have used in the first place).

streamliner_crew00.png.e7b5712d61087887cf7fac153d699368.png

The fireman's hat is whittled from a piece of sprue, the brim is thin plasticard cut with a leather hole punch. There's a piece of wire inside for the alignment.

I'm now facing one of those big life choices (marry Liz or become a monk, study astrophysics or join a circus, cream or jam first on a scone.....). I must decide whether to give the driver a top hat or a bowler. Not a tricorn - that would be silly.

Hi Tom,

A tricorn hat would catch the wind somewhat and defeat the point of the streamlining.

Gibbo.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 4