Show us your Pugbashes, Nellieboshes, Desmondifications, Jintysteins

Corbs

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, TangoOscarMike said:

Painting is proceeding in fits and starts - standard procedure for me. Mostly I've been working on the computer images for the lining.

streamliner_painting00.png.1c9ecc6193ed76dc07125dd18418c885.png

I'm also adapting two Dapol figures for the crew. I'm elongating their jackets into coats (I started with a tube of Revell plastic putty, but found this too hard to work, so I switched to Green Stuff, which is what I should have used in the first place).

streamliner_crew00.png.e7b5712d61087887cf7fac153d699368.png

The fireman's hat is whittled from a piece of sprue, the brim is thin plasticard cut with a leather hole punch. There's a piece of wire inside for the alignment.

I'm now facing one of those big life choices (marry Liz or become a monk, study astrophysics or join a circus, cream or jam first on a scone.....). I must decide whether to give the driver a top hat or a bowler. Not a tricorn - that would be silly.

Is that cut out in the cab roof so their hats can poke through...

Edited by John Besley
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, RedGemAlchemist said:

Great work Tom. Lovely as always (though I still find the lack of proper slide bars etc irritating)

Thank you. I agree, of course. From time to time I take measurements and make some doodles, in the hope of coming up with a kit for a decent-looking mechanism that:

• Is simple to install.
  • Does not disturb the outline of the cylinders, so that replacement superstructures such as mine will still fit.

I'm sure it can be done - perhaps I'll revisit this soon.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, John Besley said:

Is that cut out in the cab roof so their hats can poke through...

It reminds me of the cut-outs in the cab roofs of some 5" gauge locos to allow the driver (sat on the tender) to operate the controls. Wouldn't fancy sitting on that tender, though!

• Like 1

IMGP0001a.JPG.1deec2feba45aa1646c2145816bd8be0.JPG

A pug bash of a fireless loco I've been working on since the summer of lockdown. Some of you may recognise the cab sides as comming from a City of Truro kit, footplate and rear spectacle plate are Airfix and Dapol pug, pressure reservoir from a till roll tube. Can roof and front spectacle plate are from Bachmann little Thomas style 0-6-0.

All riding on a a front bogie from somewhere. I've been adding details like the rear exhaust pipe and cylinders. The wagon is for a size comparison and is labelled for the magical railway from the Disk World series books about wizards and trolls. The loco obviously runs on compressed magic as it does not have any cylinders.

IMGP0005A.JPG.fa58d076a99de090768acfa41f4fcef2.JPG

Developing cylinders from concentric plastic tubes, an idea from an old book on scratch building narrow gauge books. The piston rod goes up the middle and the slide bars , made from wire go between the inner and outer tube. Those old books are full of ideas for making things from scratch from a time when kits and details where not so common and it saves money.

IMGP0004a.JPG.81c60a0c26492d3a321e71c0c5182897.JPG

Edited by relaxinghobby
spell check
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, relaxinghobby said:

IMGP0001a.JPG.1deec2feba45aa1646c2145816bd8be0.JPG

A pug bash of a fireless loco I've been working on since the summer of lockdown. Some of you may recognise the cab sides as comming from a City of Truro kit, footplate and rear spectacle plate are Airfix and Dapol pug, pressure reservoir from a till roll tube. Can roof and front spectacle plate are from Bachmann little Thomas style 0-6-0.

All riding on a a front bogie from somewhere. I've been adding details like the rear exhaust pipe and cylinders. The wagon is for a size comparison and is labelled for the magical railway from the Disk World series books about wizards and trolls. The loco obviously runs on compressed magic as it does not have any cylinders.

IMGP0005A.JPG.fa58d076a99de090768acfa41f4fcef2.JPG

Developing cylinders from concentric plastic tubes, an idea from an old book on scratch building narrow gauge books. The piston rod goes up the middle and the slide bars , made from wire go between the inner and outer tube. Those old books are full of ideas for making things from scratch from a time when kits and details where not so common and it saves money.

IMGP0004a.JPG.81c60a0c26492d3a321e71c0c5182897.JPG

Lovely. I've been meaning to do one of those ever since I first saw this book cover.

ElxHIlqXIAIaAqY.png

• Like 1

The problem with motorising a fireless loco is that the cylinders are under the cab, which means either the chassis needs to be fitted backwards (and the tank may not be big enough for the motor) or some delicate rebuilding of the chassis - which is where my Pugbash to a fireless loco failed.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, RJS1977 said:

The problem with motorising a fireless loco is that the cylinders are under the cab, which means either the chassis needs to be fitted backwards (and the tank may not be big enough for the motor) or some delicate rebuilding of the chassis - which is where my Pugbash to a fireless loco failed.

Tenshodo spud under a permanently coupled wagon? 

You could use a Hornby "Desmond" chassis, cut right down to the bare minimum wheelbase and glue the cylinders nearer (under the cab/running plate?). The con rods will just slide in anyway. Make a slightly larger pressure vessel and hide the motor clip with tool boxes or oil cans like i did with my Airfix Drewery. :locomotive:

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RJS1977 said:

There do seem to be a few ‘cylinder-forward’ fireless locos although they are definitely less common. In 9mm gauge (for 009 and/or N), I think at one point N-Drive Productions did some chassis with the cylinders under the vertical motor (as I recall it wasn’t specifically for fireless locos but would lend itself to them) but I’m not sure anyone has done anything similar for 00 use.

The front cover of this book is mostly Airfix models, I can identify as Airfix; the engine sheds, numerous pug or part pug models. Is the yellow Land Rover from an Airfix RAF ground crew set ? The rooftop water tank looks like it uses footbridge lattice sides. The vintage open top car is not Airfix nor any of the narrow gauge stuff on the right. You would think Dapol would reprint this book it would boost there sales of their old Airfix kits. The yellow tank wagon may be a shortened tank wagon too?

Edited by relaxinghobby
left = right
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, 009 micro modeller said:

There do seem to be a few ‘cylinder-forward’ fireless locos although they are definitely less common. In 9mm gauge (for 009 and/or N), I think at one point N-Drive Productions did some chassis with the cylinders under the vertical motor (as I recall it wasn’t specifically for fireless locos but would lend itself to them) but I’m not sure anyone has done anything similar for 00 use.

Yes, N drive do do an option of having the cylinders reversed, but ironically if you build the Green Arrow 009 fireless loco kit, you need the normal version of the chassis as the kit is designed to fit the chassis backwards!

The only fireless loco I've seen with forward cylinders is in the Illinois Railroad Museum - I'm not aware of any in the UK.

• Like 1