Show us your Pugbashes, Nellieboshes, Desmondifications, Jintysteins

Corbs

4 hours ago, LNWR18901910 said:

That looks amazing! Does it run well compared to Hornby's official H Class model?

Given it's not an H Class that's not a particularly great comparison.

• Like 1

On 05/03/2021 at 01:54, Vanguard 5374 said:

Hasn't technically been a loco I've seen at where I work, but it is one that was once found at my workplace. Hornby 0-4-0 diesel was a bargain buy (they have potential, honestly!) so lets see what a new cab and detailing can do for it.

Tried to angle the cab CAD design over the body shell as closely as possible, think it shows how the model will look in a few weeks time. Now got to wait on a package arriving from Shapeways.

myfanwyunpainted.jpg

I'm really taken with this design- is it inspired by the shunter at Chasewater ("Mwfanwy"?) that arrived with a cut-cab?

• Like 1

On 09/03/2021 at 07:44, Ben B said:

I'm really taken with this design- is it inspired by the shunter at Chasewater ("Mwfanwy"?) that arrived with a cut-cab?

Yes it's based on Myfanwy - I'm modelling it to represent it in cut down form, as it was at Rugby, as I am modelling the depot. Few years out for what I am doing but can't say no to such a lovely machine.

On 08/03/2021 at 23:04, cypherman said:

Hi Sophia,

The main problem with the 14xx was it's abysmal electrical pick. Have you put some extra pick ups on the bogie wheels ?

I believe that the Hornby version was improved compared to the Airfix ones which needed stronger pick up springs.

• RMweb Gold

I think the 14xx pick-up issues were dealt with by Dapol, along with the motor change, before the tooling passed to Hornby.

Mine was bought to replace a defunct Airfix one. It became (and remains) a very good runner after some minor tweaking. The plain drivers from my deceased Airfix example rid it of traction tyres and the over-strong spring on the trailing wheels, which gave it a stance reminiscent of a dragster, was overcome by filling the bunker with lead.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

On 13/03/2021 at 09:59, RedGemAlchemist said:

Somehow I don't think a 14xx would be winning any races.

You’re a cruel bunch. They allegedly did race - and beat - LMS expresses between Tuffley and Standish junctions on the four-track section south of Gloucester. Now I wasn’t there, and memories of these events might be clouded by personal allegiances, but you haven to imagine it did happen on occasions and at least have been close to pass into railway folklore...

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, mpeffers said:

You’re a cruel bunch. They allegedly did race - and beat - LMS expresses between Tuffley and Standish junctions on the four-track section south of Gloucester. Now I wasn’t there, and memories of these events might be clouded by personal allegiances, but you haven to imagine it did happen on occasions and at least have been close to pass into railway folklore...

On the other hand, there are tales of Johnson 0-4-4Ts winning hands down against Churchward 4-4-0s.

Loads come in to play, from a standing start at Gloucester.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, mpeffers said:

When 1442 and 1450 temporarily came down to the (already dieselised) Seaton branch in 1965, the crews must have seen it as an unexpected chance for a final bit of fun with steam before the "bubbles" returned and inevitable closure followed.

Only a single trailer was in use, but both locos appeared pretty knackered mechanically by then and I was surprised and impressed by their acceleration, the speed they could reach between stops and their braking ability.

The memory of it always makes me giggle when I see a model 14xx pussy-footing around at crawling pace on a layout.... 

John

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

When 1442 and 1450 temporarily came down to the (already dieselised) Seaton branch in 1965, the crews must have seen it as an unexpected chance for a final bit of fun with steam before the "bubbles" returned and inevitable closure followed.

Only a single trailer was in use, but both locos appeared pretty knackered mechanically by then and I was surprised and impressed by their acceleration, the speed they could reach between stops and their braking ability.

The memory of it always makes me giggle when I see a model 14xx pussy-footing around at crawling pace on a layout.... 

John

According to Wikipedia (so take it with as much salt as you like):

"They [14xxs] could reach a maximum speed of 80 mph which was much faster than the diesel railcars designed to replace them could reach."

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, DK123GWR said:

"They [14xxs] could reach a maximum speed of 80 mph which was much faster than the diesel railcars designed to replace them could reach."

Clapped out examples appeared capable of getting close to fifty between stations no more than three miles apart, so I'd think one in good nick might well hit that sort of speed given long enough to work up to it.

John

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, DK123GWR said:

The difference was, while the 1st Gen DMU could only reach 70mph, you didn't need to repair it afterwards.

The comparison with LM expresses is also a false one.  A 14xx on one or two coaches could well out-accelerate the express up to 60mph, except that the express would then keep accelerating and perhaps hold 70mph+ for the next half an hour.  The 14xx would, after about five miles, have emptied the boiler and the crew would be re-building the fire while stopped probably somewhere in the middle of nowhere, for a blow-up. 

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

2 hours ago, Northmoor said:

The comparison with LM expresses is also a false one.  A 14xx on one or two coaches could well out-accelerate the express up to 60mph, except that the express would then keep accelerating and perhaps hold 70mph+ for the next half an hour.

I certainly wasn’t suggesting they were equivalent machines, just baulking at the suggestion that the 14xx’s couldn’t win a race against anything :wink_mini: It’s trivial, I just happen to be fond of them and certainly their usage in Gloucestershire seems largely at odds with the way they’re typically considered by modellers...?

I fear we’re digressing; here’s a Dowlais-bash. Sadly, I have to confess I’ve not touched it in a while. Going for a GWR-absorbed-and-modified sort of look. Still find the 4’ wheels at 8’3” wheelbase a bit disconcerting though. Out of interest, has anyone turned up any prototypes to these sorts of dimensions? 

312220A9-9F34-4A70-9469-DE5AC4F4CDF8.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

1 hour ago, mpeffers said:

I certainly wasn’t suggesting they were equivalent machines, just baulking at the suggestion that the 14xx’s couldn’t win a race against anything :wink_mini: It’s trivial, I just happen to be fond of them and certainly their usage in Gloucestershire seems largely at odds with the way they’re typically considered by modellers...?

I fear we’re digressing; here’s a Dowlais-bash. Sadly, I have to confess I’ve not touched it in a while. Going for a GWR-absorbed-and-modified sort of look. Still find the 4’ wheels at 8’3” wheelbase a bit disconcerting though. Out of interest, has anyone turned up any prototypes to these sorts of dimensions? 

312220A9-9F34-4A70-9469-DE5AC4F4CDF8.jpeg

Have you thought about putting something like a Bachmann junior chassis underneath it? It might look proportionally better as an 0-6-0

31 minutes ago, Sophia NSE said:

Have you thought about putting something like a Bachmann junior chassis underneath it? It might look proportionally better as an 0-6-0

The Hornby 'Toby' chassis (suitably re-motored and extended with cosmetic frame extensions) looks quite good, though I have to admit mine sits a little too high (and I think a tiny bit of glue got into the gears, making it a slightly rough runner, but hey ho)

248.jpg

Edited by Frappington Jct
  • Like 18
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

51 minutes ago, Frappington Jct said:

The Hornby 'Toby' chassis (suitably re-motored and extended with cosmetic frame extensions) looks quite good, though I have to admit mine sits a little too high (and I think a tiny bit of glue got into the gears, making it a slightly rough runner, but hey ho)

248.jpg

That's a nice beefy looking loco. I put a Bachmann junior chassis under a Nellie 

IMG20210315190348.jpg.ebc15eaca0a6fa71724f9fcc9bc1125c.jpg

Still need to finish her off as the Boughton Quarry works shunter

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

1 hour ago, Frappington Jct said:

248.jpg

That does look good! What modifications are there on the body? The coal bunker immediately catches the eye, and the tool boxes (presumably to hide the motor clip) also stand out.

• Thanks 1