Show us your Pugbashes, Nellieboshes, Desmondifications, Jintysteins

Corbs

11 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

Clapped out examples appeared capable of getting close to fifty between stations no more than three miles apart, so I'd think one in good nick might well hit that sort of speed given long enough to work up to it.

John

That doesn't surprise me - there's mention on the Cholsey station thread of 14XXs being timetabled to do the 3 mile run from Wallingford (which ends with a steep uphill stretch) in six minutes! (Average speed 30mph).

Nowadays the branch is half a mile shorter, we timetable it for 15 but have been known to do it in 10....

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, DK123GWR said:

That does look good! What modifications are there on the body? The coal bunker immediately catches the eye, and the tool boxes (presumably to hide the motor clip) also stand out.

Thanks! There's not a lot more than that to be honest! Aside from the tool boxes (I think originally used mostly just because I had them, but they do also serve to hide the motor clips) and the bunker, it's got bars over the rear cab windows and a proper cab floor, as well as the frame extensions on the chassis. The rest is as is, just with a new paint job.

Edited by Frappington Jct
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Frappington Jct said:

The Hornby 'Toby' chassis (suitably re-motored and extended with cosmetic frame extensions) looks quite good, though I have to admit mine sits a little too high (and I think a tiny bit of glue got into the gears, making it a slightly rough runner, but hey ho)

248.jpg

Excellent! It looks rather reminiscent of some of the real Dowlais locomotives.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Barclay said:

Hi everyone - since I re-worked a Tri-ang Dock Authority shunter last year I've been I've been thinking about a follow-up. It's based on the assumption that the shunters built by Brush-Bagnall for the Steel Company of Wales were built in the same style as some other Bagnall diesels rather than looking like a chicken shed on wheels, as they did in reality.

2 broken Dock shunter bodies and a couple of simple bogies built round Mitsumi motors and the new small Romford 40:1 gears. The bogie side frames are from an old Athearn switcher that had an upgrade many years ago. Grilles from an A1 models variety pack. Otherwise the same mods as the small one - mostly just new handrails and buffer beams. 

It's nearly there - will post another pic when complete.

PICT1127.JPG.2c2c10c35de8b949da55d1641fa72ab3.JPG

IMG_20210307_102559.jpg.5792599c464a8116d0759aa03cfaa678.jpg

IMG-20210221-WA0000.jpg.0f2345140a248e6b7d0f63a833dff6a6.jpg

This just looks so 'right.'
Has Saltport been dragged into the diesel age? Can't wait to see this painted and weathered.
Regards,
Chris.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Sandhole said:

This just looks so 'right.'
Has Saltport been dragged into the diesel age? Can't wait to see this painted and weathered.
Regards,
Chris.

I'm working towards the time when, just occasionally, and no-one's looking, I can fast forward to 1976 & secretly play with industrial diesels and blue 08s...

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 15/03/2021 at 17:35, Sophia NSE said:

Have you thought about putting something like a Bachmann junior chassis underneath it? It might look proportionally better as an 0-6-0

Certainly would think so. Others here have achieved nicely proportioned 0-6-0Ts with the same body shell using Terrier, Electrotren and Toby chassis.

The Bachmann Junior chassis is perhaps a bit more awkward? I gather they run quite nicely, which is a bonus, but looking through an old @relaxinghobby thread from 2011 I’m minded to agree that the larger driving wheels sit better under a tank engine with a bit more... heft? It’s also not been easy to get hold of these chassis (at a reasonable price) for a while, at least online.

I do have an Electrotren chassis (earmarked for something else) and a Dapol J94 that I could look at, but this was mostly an exercise in razor sawing and plasticard for me. That said, handrails and transfers are still aspects I need to practice, so I hope to press on at some point. Maybe sell it on at the end.

• Like 2

Now while I've mostly been happy with the lining on my locos, there's always room for improvement so I've been testing something else out 

IMG20210318161537.jpg.b5a854569f5c49beb92922cef1af3d83.jpg

This stuff was suggested on my own workbench thread and I decided to give it a go 

IMG20210318163228.jpg.2d37252f754b74b9f17f07c960153856.jpg

It comes in several different sizes from 0.5mm to 10mm. I'm finding that 0.8mm is pretty much perfect for lining. Its available in plenty of different colours too. Fiddly? Yes. Well worth trying out? Also yes

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

I take my hat off to you Stuart, that looks absolutely incredible.

On 19/03/2021 at 16:03, Sophia NSE said:

IMG20210319161046.jpg.290ac92b3fa2bc84965f4b98df8c1902.jpg

I decided she deserved some outdoor shots on a piece of track!

That looks fab Sophia!

Edited by Corbs
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Barclay said:

As a nod to the Dock Authority shunter, it has the horns from both donor loco's and a headlight, which is just a 3mm grain of wheat bulb, which plugs into sockets on the chassis and is mounted in brass tube soldered to a brass plate to act as a heat sink/shield. You can buy an LED light for these loco's - I've fitted one to my 'small' Dock Authority shunter, but to be honest they are too bright and white. As I remember these loco's the light should be warm and yellow, and pretty dim unless it's on full power !

Use a 'warm white' LED and fit a bigger resistor, say 3k3 instead of 1k, that will reduce the brightness. Or alternatively, paint the LED with yellow or amber clear paint. 

Edited by BSW01
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

32 minutes ago, Barclay said:

Managed to get the freelance Bagnall finished this weekend. I put a couple of air tanks between the bogies, hand painted chevrons, a bit rubbish so well-weathered...

As a nod to the Dock Authority shunter, it has the horns from both donor loco's and a headlight, which is just a 3mm grain of wheat bulb, which plugs into sockets on the chassis and is mounted in brass tube soldered to a brass plate to act as a heat sink/shield. You can buy an LED light for these loco's - I've fitted one to my 'small' Dock Authority shunter, but to be honest they are too bright and white. As I remember these loco's the light should be warm and yellow, and pretty dim unless it's on full power !

Forgive the track rubber holding it back but I couldn't photograph the light otherwise.

PICT1132.JPG.ba15cc42d9598ae251b225b09d28bcfa.JPG

PICT1143.JPG.bfb4bb69bc1db5c5875b923fa285b142.JPG

PICT1139.JPG.53133ac01a11a813179dc830033871e9.JPG

PICT1140.png.46a2b8f11888aaf0165c99d4c417d26d.png

The loco runs really well - the Mitsumi motors are slow revving so 40:1 gives good shunting speeds. I pondered for ages on how I was going to power this one but the idea was inspired by the simple but clever bogie design used by Mike Edge and I'm very glad I went down this route rather than trying to find a R.T.R chassis, then converting to EM etc.

There is a saying, if it looks right, it is right.
This looks superb. Fantastic work.
Regards,
Chris.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Poor Old Bruce said:

Forget the loco (nice as it is), what are the stories about the wagons in the background? particularly the brake van but the flat wagon as well

The interesting stuff is always in the background, either half out-of-shot or half-hidden by the wretched loco that's annoyingly occupying the centre of the picture.

• Agree 2
  • Funny 4

16 minutes ago, Poor Old Bruce said:

Forget the loco (nice as it is), what are the stories about the wagons in the background? particularly the brake van but the flat wagon as well

The Highland Railway Brake Van was bought about 25 years ago in my local model shop. There was a whole box of pre-group wagons, scratchbuilt in card. I bought this, a L&Y van and a GN van. They had been built by a Mr. L. R. Posford, and featured in Railway Modeller in February 1984.  The underframes were based around R.T.R chassis of the 1970's and were unsuitable for EM conversion, this one receiving a scratchbuilt brass underframe with white metal castings, a new brass roof and handrails. One of my favourite models. The flat wagon is a very old Wills Match Truck kit, which I use as a runner to my crane tank.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 18/03/2021 at 16:37, Sophia NSE said:

Now while I've mostly been happy with the lining on my locos, there's always room for improvement so I've been testing something else out 

IMG20210318161537.jpg.b5a854569f5c49beb92922cef1af3d83.jpg

This stuff was suggested on my own workbench thread and I decided to give it a go 

IMG20210318163228.jpg.2d37252f754b74b9f17f07c960153856.jpg

It comes in several different sizes from 0.5mm to 10mm. I'm finding that 0.8mm is pretty much perfect for lining. Its available in plenty of different colours too. Fiddly? Yes. Well worth trying out? Also yes

Recently bought some white PVC lining tape for the lower bodyside stripe on a green Class 25. Thought it might shrink/wrinkle after varnishing but all seems OK so far, cheaper than the HMRS "general purpose" lining too.

David

• Like 1

On 15/03/2021 at 07:21, DK123GWR said:

According to Wikipedia (so take it with as much salt as you like):

"They [14xxs] could reach a maximum speed of 80 mph which was much faster than the diesel railcars designed to replace them could reach."

Allegedly these kinds of speeds were often reached on Stroud Valley auto-trains descending Sapperton bank!

David

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1