Show us your Pugbashes, Nellieboshes, Desmondifications, Jintysteins

Corbs

1076 sits in the afternoon sun in between turns with added handrails and cab doors. She's had a couple of coats of matt varnish to seal the transfers and is ready to go

IMG20210322155936.jpg.951e81e28c6f82f63d53f296c21990d4.jpg

IMG20210322160006.jpg.8cdc9a88ad4094f221b43a19e04f6346.jpg

Now any Southern anorak worth their salt should immediately find the massive error I've made with the numbering... Southern locos were renumbered starting in 1931, all Q1s were withdrawn and scrapped in 1930 :unsure::unsure::wacko::wacko:. However, as I'm modelling a line that was never built I think one can slip through to continue to run on the Weald of Kent line. We can imagine a suit in the area office can't visually tell the difference between a Q1 and an H! :jester:

• Like 16

11 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

The interesting stuff is always in the background, either half out-of-shot or half-hidden by the wretched loco that's annoyingly occupying the centre of the picture.

True, one of the irritations of magazine photo captions, chapter and verse on yet another austerity tank but never anything about the wagon its attached to or the interesting industrial buildings behind.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

On 16/03/2021 at 09:57, Barclay said:

Hi everyone - since I re-worked a Tri-ang Dock Authority shunter last year I've been I've been thinking about a follow-up.

Brilliant bit of work; brings back memories, my first electric train set engine was the transcontinental version of the donor shunter. Somewhat later fitted with a plasticard box body to resemble(?) a Sentinel shunter.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Artless Bodger said:

Other universes are available.

How is Chart Sutton coming along?

Very slowly. I wasn't happy with it being so wide so it'll be rebuilt to 12 inch width and fully covered with proper cork. Unfortunately that won't be happening until pay day

On 22/03/2021 at 22:50, Sophia NSE said:

Screenshot_2021-03-22-22-52-42-03.jpg.158602dfa3bfcefccc0141621b691356.jpg

This looks quite interesting, wonder what could be fitted under to power it...

At the risk of drifting this topic even further off-topic...

BEN.BUCKI_Citadel-stuff_Armoured-train_19_19_17.jpg.a1da24ea0c350394b281e174cbc62ee1.jpg

A few years ago I produced this when I was applying for a concept-artist/designer job for Citadel.  Obviously not faux-Gothic enough for Warhammer, but I keep thinking I could make it myself at some point.  I could do it on the laser cutter, might look oddly sci-fi and scary enough for the G-gauge garden railway.  And yes, it is pretty much a Warhammer armoured 'Battle of Britain' Pacific :)

Right, sorry about the drift.  Need to crack-on with my own Hornby starter-loco bash...

• Like 9
  • Funny 1

Me again! Guess who stopped working for what seems like the millionth time? (I've told you a million times to not exaggerate!)

IMG20210326174854.jpg.161714f2f622e573f74f798f2e4b196b.jpg

Some bodgery and soldering later and she's back to running

IMG20210326175424.jpg.62d9ed1f05ab1fe029341c862a79f73c.jpg

Now the eagle eyed among you may have spotted some pristine white plasticard attached... Progress on my layout has stalled for the moment due to size issues, so I thought I'd set up a second radius oval on the living room table.

Except someone wouldn't go round it. Completely my fault in creating a trailing bogie that only worked in a straight line :huh: :blink:. The very helpful Pete McFarlane of this parish showed me a picture of the bogie on his very nice SECR J class kit which gave me an idea of how to remedy this 

IMG20210326175432.jpg.c13167fffd67eb46f925d787f7449fd4.jpg

Et voilà! Simple enough but it works. I also cut an Airfix style coupling box thingy from a wagon I wasn't planning to use and got the height close enough first time, hence the D style couple which will be replaced at some point. Just need to spray the bogie black when it isn't pi$$ing it down outside!

• Like 14

Help/advice wanted.

Now, you lot are an imaginative bunch. Sorry if this is not on topic, but help would be appreciated, and if I get a roundtuit then I can post it on here as a bash.

I am looking at the Hornby J83 (number 8473) that I had since a child.

My railway inclin is towards pregrouping, GWR primarily, but also LMS, LNWR or something that might have operated in Wales. Does anyone have any bright ideas of what I could chop it into? Pictures, or drawings would be great, and I am not worried about exactly matching lengths, would just like it to look acceptable to the eye.

I also have two old Triang/Hornby 0-6-0's one a Pannier andthe other a Jinty. I was wondering about converting the clearly spottable cab on the Jinty and removing the belpaire (is that right?) firebox to a round topped one. Or half open cab would be nice.

Anyway, any ideas welcome.

Thanks,

Ben

Thanks in advance

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, BenNewland said:

Help/advice wanted.

Now, you lot are an imaginative bunch. Sorry if this is not on topic, but help would be appreciated, and if I get a roundtuit then I can post it on here as a bash.

My railway inclin is towards pregrouping, GWR primarily, but also LMS, LNWR or something that might have operated in Wales. Does anyone have any bright ideas of what I could chop it into? Pictures, or drawings would be great, and I am not worried about exactly matching lengths, would just like it to look acceptable to the eye.

I also have two old Triang/Hornby 0-6-0's one a Pannier andthe other a Jinty. I was wondering about converting the clearly spottable cab on the Jinty and removing the belpaire (is that right?) firebox to a round topped one. Or half open cab would be nice.

Anyway, any ideas welcome.

Thanks,

Ben

Thanks in advance

Hi Ben

If you're looking for GWR inspiration, how about one of the absorbed locos they acquired at grouping?

Rhondda & Swansea Bay locos http://www.gwr813.org/gallerysw8.html

Llanelly & Mynydd Mawr Avonside https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/File:Im1902EnV94-p327.jpg

Don't think the Hornby J83 would make a scale model of either, but it might be close enough.  Mind you, the Hornby J83 isn't a scale model of a J83 either!

Moxy

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, BenNewland said:

Thanks,

Ben

Thanks in advance

A couple of years back I had a nearly similar idea, but it was more like what could I do to make it closer to accurate? I gave up on that fairly quickly as being impossible. I then scrapped the body completely, saved the buffer beams, safety valves, dome and chimney for spares and finished up scratch building a J83. Which while not the most accurate rendition was certainly a lot closer to the J83.

Edited by Malcolm 0-6-0
  • Like 1

Thanks Moxy,

Those locos 802 or 806 look like what I should be aiming at. Much appreciated, you save hours of searching (though they are always fun hours looking at locos!).

Hi Malcom, that sort of talk is worrying for me as I just go by guessing, hence freelance models being me preferred option! Sounds like you did a great job. Do you have a photo to show on here?

Thanks both,

Ben

12 hours ago, Malcolm 0-6-0 said:

Two pics - the first in progress and the second finished. Not the greatest model accuracy wise but I feel closer to the mark than Hornby's ancient effort with its oversize cab and moulded on detail etc.

It was my first attempt at scratch building a loco - I'd done it before with aircraft models so please excuse my then crude metal rod bending skills. Basically the body is based on a length of suitable diameter conduit, added to with Evergreen plastic and assorted scavenged parts. The black finish in the pic has toned downed considerably over time. I get it out occasionally for a run on the track.

LNER J83 4.jpg

LNER J83 6.jpg

Outstanding work my friend well done

• Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

That really is fantastic Malcom.  Thanks very much indeed for posting those.

New baby has just arrived. This might shut down modelling progress for the next year or so!

Will keep dipping into this thread for inspiration though!

Thanks all,

Ben

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

1 hour ago, BenNewland said:

That really is fantastic Malcom.  Thanks very much indeed for posting those.

New baby has just arrived. This might shut down modelling progress for the next year or so!

Will keep dipping into this thread for inspiration though!

Thanks all,

Ben

Congratulations Ben!

• Agree 3

Just now, Johnson044 said:

Just unearthed an ancient photo of a loco I made when I was about 15. I think it qualifies as a Jintystein, because it has a carved-about Rovex jinty chassis, with some Romford wheels. I think the boiler possibly came from a Ratio plastic kit of a Johnson Midland 2-4-0, the tender from which ended up trundling around behind a Tri-ang 3F.

A long time ago and, for all its general wobbliness I do wish I still had it.IMG_20210401_122957_1CS.jpg.6ee69fd966ec57e23e750f5460bb13f6.jpg

I'd be proud of that. Nice work.
Chris.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

59 minutes ago, TangoOscarMike said:

I sometimes think that I could win an Olympic gold medal in procrastination. But it's impossible, of course. Anyone who fills out the application forms is automatically disqualified.

When it comes to painting models, I keep thinking that I should dab a little bit more on before varnishing. I never finish painting - I just give up at some point.

So I've given up: My streamliner and tender are painted and varnished ready for the lining transfers (which I haven't yet printed). And the crew is ready. I'm happy with the fireman, but less happy with the driver: I was aiming for "Gent", but I seem to have arrived at "Geezer". Ah well.

I wish now that I had a woman to drive this engine, but it would have been harder to find a suitable figure as a starting point. A farmer, perhaps.... Next time, maybe....

crew_finished_ready_for_lining.png.3d8fa2af6cd73bad7853e6e6d3a70476.png

Hi Tom,

Why not an android driver as an homage to Marvin or Kryten, although perhaps powered by clockwork and controlled by difference engine, of course !

Gibbo.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

52 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

Why not an android driver as an homage to Marvin or Kryten, although perhaps powered by clockwork and controlled by difference engine, of course !

That's an excellent idea, and it hadn't entered my head, even though @snitzl posted pictures of a robot fireman not long ago.

It ought not to be too hard to make a little robot out of scraps of plastic and wire. But on the other hand, I could design a robot in the computer and then pose it in lots of different ways, to create a general variety of (3D printed) robotic railway workers.

Food for thought.

• Like 1