Show us your Pugbashes, Nellieboshes, Desmondifications, Jintysteins

Corbs

Hi all,

Well the secret I mentioned earlier is progressing and seems to be working. Mind you this is still a work in progress. If I want to keep it as a tank engine I will need to make some water tanks. if not I have a tender for it.

It so far consists of :

Butchered Hornby 0-4-0 chassis.

Flying Scotsman cab from  GBL loco.

Valve gear from a Triang Hall.

Vastly cut down boiler from a Lima Crab

Buffers are large round Hornby ones.

Front buffer beam is the rear buffer beam from the Lima Crab tender.

This engine came about by accident. I bought a spares and repairs lot on Ebay for a Lima 0-6-0 chassis( That's for a different project). And to my surprise I found that not only did I get a fairly decent Lima chassis with a working motor but a complete Triang 0-6-0 chassis complete with working motor once I serviced it. But also another working  X04 once serviced and set up and a fully working Hornby Pug chassis and motor minus it's valve gear and motor fixing wires. Plus a few other bits and pieces. Not a bad haul for £20.00.

Any way I decided to see what i could cobble together and this is the result. A real Frankenstien.

DSC_1047.JPG

DSC_1048.JPG

DSC_1049.JPG

DSC_1050.JPG

DSC_1051.JPG

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Over the years I've built a few freelance (for want of a better term) "industrials" using what would otherwise become scrap. Mainly just for the hell of it. There's two that I'd like to post but I'll do it in two posts. Stop it from becoming pic and text heavy. The first is a bit way out. :huh:

I wondered what a larger Vertical Boilered Tank would look like. I'd picked up a selection of junked chassis on eBay in a job lot and one of those was a powered bogie off some sort of diesel. Its length and prominent engine meant it sat in the spares draw for a couple of years. Then I thought what would it look like if it was turned into a VB 0-4-0? So here it is.

It has one unfortunate fault, it runs OK but the engine is enclosed in a plastic box and the noise is pretty loud. It wasn't quiet before I enclosed it and it just got louder. The cab came from a junk Mainline Manor class I picked up while the bunker and water tank are just scratch built. Apart from the cab and chassis it's all Evergreen sheet and I had some spare lengths of ladders, one of which I stuck on the back. The various rails are just wire and knobs. The motor was centrally mounted so where the shaft for the armature protrudes was turned into the funnel.

Freelance 2 0-4-0 Industrial VB Tank 1.JPG

Freelance 2 0-4-0 Industrial VB Tank 3.JPG

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

The second one is a little more conventional. I was hunting through eBay for some cheap chassis and came across one of those Triang/Hornby freelance industrials. The price was modest so I bought it. What wasn't mentioned was that it appeared to have been store in a bucket of water and all the bits that could rust had. However the body being plastic wasn't, however it was missing the smokebox door. 

My first job was to see if I could actually get the motor working. That took a couple of hours and gentle nudging of it with some power. Eventually I got it working. Then it came to the body which was as you can see a virulent shade of red with moulded on detail. Well the colour and the moulded on detail had to go, and it needed to have the handrails replaced with proper ones. The other job was to enlarge the coal bunker and to replace the moulded on access ladders. So here it is.

Freelance 1 0-4-0 Industrial Tank 1.jpg

Freelance 1 0-4-0 Industrial Tank 2.jpg

Freelance 1 0-4-0 Industrial Tank 4.jpg

Freelance 1 0-4-0 Industrial Tank 6.JPG

Freelance 1 0-4-0 Industrial Tank 7.JPG

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

8 hours ago, TangoOscarMike said:

That's an excellent idea, and it hadn't entered my head, even though @snitzl posted pictures of a robot fireman not long ago.

It ought not to be too hard to make a little robot out of scraps of plastic and wire. But on the other hand, I could design a robot in the computer and then pose it in lots of different ways, to create a general variety of (3D printed) robotic railway workers.

Food for thought.

Have you come accross Boilerplate (Histories Mechanical Marvel)?

https://www.bigredhair.com/books/boilerplate/about/

Something like this (him?) might make a suitable member of Steampunk locomotive crew :)

• Informative/Useful 1

14 hours ago, Ben B said:

Have you come accross Boilerplate (Histories Mechanical Marvel)?

I remember Boilerplate from years ago, when there were just the edited photographs. I hadn't seen the subsequent developments - thanks for bringing them to my attention.

And yes, something like that.

• Like 2

Hi all,

Well here is Mk 2 of the freelance 0-4-0.

The story so far. Buggeritt and Bodgeitt engineers realised they had made some big mistakes with their first version of the 0-4-0. The final realisation was when they reversed it out of the shed and took the roof off the cab. It was obviously far too tall. Plus the front footplate was too narrow. So they rebuilt it. So this is Mk2. Still a work in progress but getting there......... :)

DSC_1052.JPG

DSC_1053.JPG

DSC_1054.JPG

DSC_1055.JPG

Edited by cypherman
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Hi all,

Well Mssr's Buggeritt and Bodgeitt engineers have finished the shunter. And here it is in all it's glory. It has been out and about. Has just finished it's final evaluation test and managed to pull the skin of the Foreman's cold rice pudding. This is my true pug bash and that is what the chassis was. Rest is just left overs. This is a true Bubble and Squeak engine...... :)

DSC_1056.JPG

DSC_1057.JPG

DSC_1058.JPG

DSC_1059.JPG

Edited by cypherman
  • Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Probably the first thing I've done that could be described as a pugbash is starting to turn a (very battered) GWR body, a Dowlais chassis, and a Hornby troublesome truck into a tender-tank.IMG_20210408_174007.jpg.4107515d2c8fad296769b5365474df69.jpg

The first steps were cutting the cylinders and rear buffers off of the loco before fitting it to the chassis. The coupling hook was then removed from the rear of the loco, and the already damaged coupling on one end of the truck (to use the Sudrian term) cut off completely.

The next step was to couple the vehicles. This was done using a small strip of 1mm diameter wire, which will be painted a dark colour at a later stage. The wire was bent to form a loop around the tension lock coupling bar on the rear of the loco. The tender can be attached by connecting the wire loop to the (previously cosmetic) hook moulded onto the front of the wagon. So far, this has worked in both directions light engine and hauling a pair of Mainline/Bachmann (they were second hand unboxed so I don't know which) Mk1 suburbans.IMG_20210408_174118.jpg.85ad0392e0fee7ecefb9d2749d720acf.jpg

The next big jobs are painting the wire loop and making the tender look less like a troublesome truck.

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On 02/04/2021 at 23:25, TangoOscarMike said:

That's an excellent idea, and it hadn't entered my head, even though @snitzl posted pictures of a robot fireman not long ago.

It ought not to be too hard to make a little robot out of scraps of plastic and wire. But on the other hand, I could design a robot in the computer and then pose it in lots of different ways, to create a general variety of (3D printed) robotic railway workers.

Food for thought.

For inspiration for those robotic railway workers, see Doctor Who ‘The Girl in the Fireplace’!

626B3B10-63D3-4706-A75D-371B3215464C.jpeg

• Like 2

On 02/04/2021 at 23:25, TangoOscarMike said:

Food for thought.

This could give a whole new meaning to the term "Mechanical Stoker"

Steam-powered of course.... 

• Funny 1

On 05/04/2021 at 23:34, cypherman said:

Hi all,

Well Mssr's Buggeritt and Bodgeitt engineers have finished the shunter. And here it is in all it's glory. It has been out and about. Has just finished it's final evaluation test and managed to pull the skin of the Foreman's cold rice pudding. This is my true pug bash and that is what the chassis was. Rest is just left overs. This is a true Bubble and Squeak engine...... :)

DSC_1056.JPG

DSC_1057.JPG

DSC_1058.JPG

DSC_1059.JPG

Very cure little 0-4-0. Nice job mate :) 

17 hours ago, 009 micro modeller said:

But if the robot fireman is steam-powered as well, do you need another steam-powered robot fireman to put coal in it? And then if this second robot fireman is steam-powered as well, do you... etc. etc. :jester: 

All you need is a suitable steampipe - a bit like injectors....

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, ExpressRhubarb said:

Did my first Nellie bash last year, turning her into an industrial tank to go onto an Electrotren 0-6-0

IMG_20201107_175038.jpg.fcc159d5785ee4eb2504432c388b8217.jpg

The buffer beams were shot so I gave her some from an airfix J94, then gave her a maroon livery. I named her Apollo- my intention was to name the fleet after Greek Gods. Frame extensions were fitted to the base of the body for the chassis to sit between.

IMG_20201114_142644.jpg.260f1f1683e10f2276a1ecfa2a039309.jpg

She didn't stay pristine for very long. The varnish left all frosted so I had to apply more weathering to cover it up. She came out looking nice and workstained though :)IMG_20201114_142702.jpg.366dfb2009a6134928a503d9738d576f.jpg

Nice conversion.

Bit worried about the 'population' in the background though...

• Like 2
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

More of a repaint rather than a bash, but turned a Model Rail USATC 0-6-0 into an industrial loco. IMG_20201224_191115.jpg.a13fc1c7c82b346121ae2547db8e5f05.jpg

IMG_20201224_191124.jpg.7c224b60b477c8ee187d31ea6a5b8e62.jpg

She still needs lettering, nameplates and weathering, but there were at least two USA's that went into NCB service and industrial service. She looks quite nice as is. Once my Narrow Planet orders arrive she'll be christened Athena.IMG_20201224_191159.jpg.c07abce63a9bbc60391c7f546f88eabd.jpg

• Like 19

2 hours ago, ExpressRhubarb said:

Did my first Nellie bash last year, turning her into an industrial tank to go onto an Electrotren 0-6-0

IMG_20201107_175038.jpg.fcc159d5785ee4eb2504432c388b8217.jpg

The buffer beams were shot so I gave her some from an airfix J94, then gave her a maroon livery. I named her Apollo- my intention was to name the fleet after Greek Gods. Frame extensions were fitted to the base of the body for the chassis to sit between.

IMG_20201114_142644.jpg.260f1f1683e10f2276a1ecfa2a039309.jpg

She didn't stay pristine for very long. The varnish left all frosted so I had to apply more weathering to cover it up. She came out looking nice and workstained though :)IMG_20201114_142702.jpg.366dfb2009a6134928a503d9738d576f.jpg

Lovely little 0-6-0T here. Good job Rhubarb.

• Like 4

On 02/04/2021 at 20:57, TangoOscarMike said:

I sometimes think that I could win an Olympic gold medal in procrastination. But it's impossible, of course. Anyone who fills out the application forms is automatically disqualified.

When it comes to painting models, I keep thinking that I should dab a little bit more on before varnishing. I never finish painting - I just give up at some point.

So I've given up: My streamliner and tender are painted and varnished ready for the lining transfers (which I haven't yet printed). And the crew is ready. I'm happy with the fireman, but less happy with the driver: I was aiming for "Gent", but I seem to have arrived at "Geezer". Ah well.

I wish now that I had a woman to drive this engine, but it would have been harder to find a suitable figure as a starting point. A farmer, perhaps.... Next time, maybe....

crew_finished_ready_for_lining.png.3d8fa2af6cd73bad7853e6e6d3a70476.png

Are not their walking sticks supposed to go in their hands?

• Funny 2

On 03/04/2021 at 05:51, Malcolm 0-6-0 said:

The second one is a little more conventional. I was hunting through eBay for some cheap chassis and came across one of those Triang/Hornby freelance industrials. The price was modest so I bought it. What wasn't mentioned was that it appeared to have been store in a bucket of water and all the bits that could rust had. However the body being plastic wasn't, however it was missing the smokebox door. 

My first job was to see if I could actually get the motor working. That took a couple of hours and gentle nudging of it with some power. Eventually I got it working. Then it came to the body which was as you can see a virulent shade of red with moulded on detail. Well the colour and the moulded on detail had to go, and it needed to have the handrails replaced with proper ones. The other job was to enlarge the coal bunker and to replace the moulded on access ladders. So here it is.

Freelance 1 0-4-0 Industrial Tank 1.jpg

Freelance 1 0-4-0 Industrial Tank 2.jpg

Freelance 1 0-4-0 Industrial Tank 4.jpg

Freelance 1 0-4-0 Industrial Tank 6.JPG

Freelance 1 0-4-0 Industrial Tank 7.JPG

Hi all,

How close is this model in size to the  USATC 0-6-0. Wondering if it would be possible to make a poor mans  USATC 0-6-0 with one of these Lima tank engines and an 0-6-0 chassis.

20 hours ago, cypherman said:

Hi all,

How close is this model in size to the  USATC 0-6-0. Wondering if it would be possible to make a poor mans  USATC 0-6-0 with one of these Lima tank engines and an 0-6-0 chassis.

The Triang/Hornby loco looks more Germanic to me, hints of the BR80? I wonder if you'd do better with the Joueff/Playcraft clockwork tank loco, they turn up on ebay very frequently, and have a vaguely USA-tank look about them.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1