Show us your Pugbashes, Nellieboshes, Desmondifications, Jintysteins

Corbs

On 05/10/2021 at 14:44, Barclay said:

Not quite R-T-R but these cast lead tank engine bodies by Stewart Reidpath have some potential. It was a generic tank engine body which I think originated in HO scale before the war but was widened subsequently when 00 became more popular.

Conversion to an industrial loco in EM gauge that looks a certain amount like a Hawthorn Leslie locomotive involved grinding off the smokebox extension plus splashers and sandboxes with a Dremel. It then received a new smokebox wrapper from 10 thou brass riveted in the GW Models press, a chimney from the spares box and a GE N7 dome from SE Finecast. Safety valves are Tri-ang. The chassis frames and rods are leftovers from an Impetus Bagnall kit and the cylinders/slidebars/crossheads are scratchbuilt.

Power is from a Minebea 6 pole motor driving Romford 40:1 gears using a Branchlines motor mount/gearbox. 

WP_20201107_13_33_36_Pro.jpg.7cf5a1e3d82557f44337cdd6bc01199c.jpg

936979454_Layout3.jpg.00a50e537fe3ddf6af145bff6ae48c98.jpg

1341118964_LAYOUT2-Copy.JPG.717e494fd88fc1240928b903c1cd8832.JPG

Amazing work. That smokebox band with the rivets looks very neat. You can hardly see the original maroon! Very good.

Ben

• Thanks 1

Not quite R-T-R but these cast lead tank engine bodies by Stewart Reidpath have some potential. It was a generic tank engine body which I think originated in HO scale before the war but was widened subsequently when 00 became more popular.

Conversion to an industrial loco in EM gauge that looks a certain amount like a Hawthorn Leslie locomotive involved grinding off the smokebox extension plus splashers and sandboxes with a Dremel. It then received a new smokebox wrapper from 10 thou brass riveted in the GW Models press, a chimney from the spares box and a GE N7 dome from SE Finecast. Safety valves are Tri-ang. The chassis frames and rods are leftovers from an Impetus Bagnall kit and the cylinders/slidebars/crossheads are scratchbuilt.

Power is from a Minebea 6 pole motor driving Romford 40:1 gears using a Branchlines motor mount/gearbox. 

Where did you get this from?

On 29/04/2021 at 09:23, SteelAndSoot said:

My lil wing tank Bealie (shared her before) kept doing wheelies, so today I gave her a rear wheelset to fix this

IMG_20210429_151336.jpg.738039ac37d73ef822605f767af53342.jpg

fits snugly and rolls well, has lots of side play too for tight bends

IMG_20210429_160752.jpg.b2887294264c49448d23a452959e29b2.jpgIMG_20210429_160756.jpg.9eb81bc599a32fc5c72f3cd86ecde103.jpg

IMG_20210429_161123.jpg.e3081ce20491eb05ff567aa0c5aa44a1.jpg

How did you build the chassis?

Hi All,

I have a strange request. Does anyone have a front end of a Hornby/triang 3F "jinty" hanging around that they don't need?

I'm halfway through bashing one into a freelance Johnson looking loco backdated to having a round firebox etc. I tried "gently" warming the loco with an air gun to straighten the footplate. All was going really well, when I did "one last adjustment", and the loco melted.

Really gutted. I do want to attack it again, but I had already spent ages on the new cab, hence why asking for the front end.

You're the only bunch crazy enough to have a front end  (front 1/3rd) of a loco hanging around in a box somewhere.

Of course I would pay postage etc.

Thanks in advance.

Ben

2 hours ago, BenNewland said:

Hi All,

I have a strange request. Does anyone have a front end of a Hornby/triang 3F "jinty" hanging around that they don't need?

I'm halfway through bashing one into a freelance Johnson looking loco backdated to having a round firebox etc. I tried "gently" warming the loco with an air gun to straighten the footplate. All was going really well, when I did "one last adjustment", and the loco melted.

Really gutted. I do want to attack it again, but I had already spent ages on the new cab, hence why asking for the front end.

You're the only bunch crazy enough to have a front end  (front 1/3rd) of a loco hanging around in a box somewhere.

Of course I would pay postage etc.

Thanks in advance.

Ben

If I still Have one, it doesn't have a chimney and probably missing steps and buffers. I can't get to it until Wednesday, but if you want I'll look and PM you.

Dom

Hi Barclay

I have a couple of these that I have aquired over the years , any chance of a few pictures of the chassis to give me an some inkling of what I could do with mine

many thanks in anticipation

regards

Bob

15 hours ago, bobthemilk said:

Hi Barclay

I have a couple of these that I have aquired over the years , any chance of a few pictures of the chassis to give me an some inkling of what I could do with mine

many thanks in anticipation

regards

Bob

Hi Bob - I described it in a thread on the industrial section last year, so I have posted a link below which contains all the gory details. The ultimate kit basher of this casting was apparently pre-war modeller extraordinaire, the Rev. Edward Beal, who made all sorts of loco's. out of them.

Regards

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

The most famous version was the little blue thing.

https://ttte.fandom.com/wiki/Thomas/Behind_the_Scenes#Awdry.27s_model

It was supposed to be an E2, but they put a splasher on it to fit an available chassis. That's why TTTE had splashers whereas the real E2s didn't.

And there was me thinking Hornby only did the E2 because they saw the potential for Thomas.

• Like 1

I think almost if not all of the original Thomas characters were based on real prototypes - usually in fact on the contemporary triang or dublo products of the day. Pretty much every character has a surviving example of the real thing extant except, sadly, Thomas! The irony that no E2 survived to be butchered into a 1/1 scale heritage railway cash cow! 

Daisy the rail car was a fictional metro Cammell  lightweight single car unit based on the real two car unit and triang model so she’s extinct too. A 101 (of which there are plenty) could be a good daisy though (heritage railways you’re welcome lol)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, ianmacc said:

I think almost if not all of the original Thomas characters were based on real prototypes - usually in fact on the contemporary triang or dublo products of the day. 

Well, there's several things going on:

• how Awdry envisioned them in his minds eye;
  • how he modelled them; and
  • how Dalby painted them.

For me and I guess most of us, Dalby's version is what we think of.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, ianmacc said:

I think almost if not all of the original Thomas characters were based on real prototypes - usually in fact on the contemporary triang or dublo products of the day. Pretty much every character has a surviving example of the real thing extant except, sadly, Thomas! The irony that no E2 survived to be butchered into a 1/1 scale heritage railway cash cow! 

Daisy the rail car was a fictional metro Cammell  lightweight single car unit based on the real two car unit and triang model so she’s extinct too. A 101 (of which there are plenty) could be a good daisy though (heritage railways you’re welcome lol)

As were many of the incidents. I knew the driver of the real engine in the water story, he has sadly passed on now but it was the Thompson pacific look alike on the (then) Weymouth Miniature Railway accidentally having a swim in Radipole Lake that apparently inspired Gordon's dip. (Loco survived, it was at Oakhill Manor, IIRC went on from there when that closed to the one near Berkeley Castle but I don't know where it is now)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, ianmacc said:

How about Toby...

1 hour ago, john new said:

As were many of the incidents. I knew the driver of the real engine in the water story, he has sadly passed on now but it was the Thompson pacific look alike on the (then) Weymouth Miniature Railway accidentally having a swim in Radipole Lake that apparently inspired Gordon's dip. (Loco survived, it was at Oakhill Manor, IIRC went on from there when that closed to the one near Berkeley Castle but I don't know where it is now)

Indeed, at least one incident (leaving the refreshment lady behind) was something Wilbert had done on the Talyllyn!

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, John Besley said:

How about Toby...

Toby was originally a proper model of a Y6 he made. Later replaced with a K's kit of a J70.

https://ttte.fandom.com/wiki/Toby/Behind_the_Scenes#Behind_the_Scenes

Oliver was also a K's Kit as was the replacement for Duck. Fun fact, The K's Kits had 1436 and 5741 as the numbers provided which was also the numbers of the TTTE versions.

Jason

• Like 1

Toby's tramway is based upon the Wisbech and Upwell line. The body of one of the coaches survives (on a more conventional underframe) at Sheringham although for licencing reasons, they can't make use of this fact.

There is also the story of "the original Thomas", now at the Nene Valley Railway, which is too long to repeat here. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

13 hours ago, john new said:

At the risk of being "that guy," the incident Awdry himself cited for this story was at Lynn in 1952 and involved an Ivatt Class 4.

14 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Well, there's several things going on:

• how Awdry envisioned them in his minds eye;
  • how he modelled them; and
  • how Dalby painted them.

For me and I guess most of us, Dalby's version is what we think of.

It can be difficult to work out exactly what was going on with particular prototypes. The book The Island of Sodor gives backstories for all the regular characters, and a lot of fans have a tendency to take this as absolute gospel for what Awdry had in mind. Personally, I think that in the early books, he intended the characters to be freelance, types of locomotive rather than specific classes. Edward was meant to be a Victorian 4-4-0, Gordon a more modern Pacific, Thomas a station pilot etc. It's worth pointing out that while Reginald Payne illustrated Thomas as an E2, Dalby went back and changed some of the details to make the character look more generic.

From Henry the Green Engine onwards, characters are (mostly) based on specific prototypes, and so the backstories to explain the appearance of some of the older characters are frankly pretty tortuous. Percy is a hotchpotch of different parts, Gordon and Henry were both experimental prototypes, etc. I suspect with Daisy that he started out with the model and wrote it into his stories - Duck has a similar backstory, originating as an off-the-shelf Gaiety pannier bought as a spare engine.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, HonestTom said:

At the risk of being "that guy," the incident Awdry himself cited for this story was at Lynn in 1952 and involved an Ivatt Class 4.

... snipped

It was what the man himself always claimed, the dip definitely occurred there are photos.