Show us your Pugbashes, Nellieboshes, Desmondifications, Jintysteins

Corbs

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, Sophia NSE said:

Its going to Ashford to get butchered, deNortherned and a coat of proper green paint!

Best thing for it!! I have one that is due a visit to Longhedge Loco Works to be turned into an LCDR engine!

Can't wait to see what happens with yours

Gary

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BlueLightning said:

Best thing for it!! I have one that is due a visit to Longhedge Loco Works to be turned into an LCDR engine!

Can't wait to see what happens with yours

Gary

I have a few ideas, but whether they happen is another matter entirely!!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 07/06/2019 at 09:03, RedGemAlchemist said:

Do it. If it's anything like my old one it'll keep going for life if you maintain it well. They make excellent yard shunters and light rural passenger tanks.

The thing is practically a family heirloom. I was 5 when my dad bought a second hand Tri-Ang trainset for me and my older brother which I remember had a plunger pick-up Princess loco in black and one of those 0-4-0 dockside diesel shunters that could pull absolutely every coach and wagon we owned. I was six when he bought Nellie for my birthday, which would be 1965, so I'm a little reluctant to hack it to pieces. The motor is almost certainly knackered as its not turned a wheel since the 1980s and the treads and flanges are too coarse now.

I may just keep it as a museum piece, or save the chassis and motor, setting them aside and get a new chassis and modify the body.

It would be nice to have the first ever loco I owned individually working again, even if it is only parts of the plastic body.

• Friendly/supportive 2

2 hours ago, Martin S-C said:

I was six when he bought Nellie for my birthday, which would be 1965, so I'm a little reluctant to hack it to pieces. The motor is almost certainly knackered as its not turned a wheel since the 1980s and the treads and flanges are too coarse now.

I don't blame you ... looking on the Bay of Fleas just now, I saw a mint boxed Polly for sale at £124.50 (with free postage)* ... I would no sooner take a scalpel to that than I would a brand new USA class loco, a Heljan B4 or a Heljan (?) class 07!

Steve

* I am aware that they can be had cheaper, but it was the first search result and, anyway, look - free postage! 

• Funny 1

Anyone looking for a Triang dock shunter for a bash? The same seller (gostude) has a "Triang Hornby R253 BR Red 0-4-0 Dock Authority Shunter No 3 Mint Boxed np" for a bargain price of £69.50 - with free postage!

My local model shop has one at £32 that I have seen (and heard) running as sweet as a nut, and he has to pay VAT, business rates and tax yet his price is half of this example ... must be the box that doubles the price!

Perhaps this should be in the eBay madness thread, wherever that may be?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 09/06/2019 at 22:22, Sophia NSE said:

So this will soon be on its way to me for the princely sum of £9.99. Poor thing doesn't stand a chance!

Screenshot_2019-06-09-20-02-11-1.png

Here's what I did with one.

DSC_0070.JPG.57f4d253faea615e4672aa63b5ea7d4f.JPG

New cab, new dome, couple other odds and ends. Makes a good chunk of difference. 

10 hours ago, Martin S-C said:

The thing is practically a family heirloom. I was 5 when my dad bought a second hand Tri-Ang trainset for me and my older brother which I remember had a plunger pick-up Princess loco in black and one of those 0-4-0 dockside diesel shunters that could pull absolutely every coach and wagon we owned. I was six when he bought Nellie for my birthday, which would be 1965, so I'm a little reluctant to hack it to pieces. The motor is almost certainly knackered as its not turned a wheel since the 1980s and the treads and flanges are too coarse now.

I may just keep it as a museum piece, or save the chassis and motor, setting them aside and get a new chassis and modify the body.

It would be nice to have the first ever loco I owned individually working again, even if it is only parts of the plastic body.

Exactly. Why do you think I got my one running again? 

Edited by RedGemAlchemist
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, PatB said:

You do know the reputation Mr 'tude has established for himself here don't you? ;)

*nods sagely* Don't buy from him unless you are rich and the price doesn't matter! In fairness I have had one or two fair bargains from him but generally he is overpriced.

• Agree 1

56 minutes ago, AVS1998 said:

Story of my life there Sophia! :p 

Ashford born but Yorkshire made. Sounds interesting though - I imagine you're going for either a T class or possibly a very messed-around P? 

It does depend on what's in the random selection of bodies I bought. I'm not a steam expert by a long way but there was a Southern tank body, possibly an R1, in there so that might survive as a 'borrowed' loco for a light railway plank I seem to be hurtling towards. Weald of Kent Light Railway anyone?

• Friendly/supportive 1

7 minutes ago, AVS1998 said:

You want to be careful inventing light railways you know, you may end up being extended an invitation to the Achingverse... 

But it does sound like a good plan - and tank engines seemed to end up all over the place, on loan or otherwise, so it's very justifiable. 

I've heard that light railways are a rabbit hole impossible to get out of once you fall down it. 

If it is an R1 body it'll end up being a loco that found its way onto the light railway that Ashford have forgotten about

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

43 minutes ago, Sophia NSE said:

I've heard that light railways are a rabbit hole impossible to get out of once you fall down it. 

Welcome to Fictional Light Railway Wonderland where trains are short, personalities quirky and larger than life, names and places are whimsical and imagination soon grows an empire far greater than your ability to model it!

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

2 hours ago, Martin S-C said:

Welcome to Fictional Light Railway Wonderland where trains are short, personalities quirky and larger than life, names and places are whimsical and imagination soon grows an empire far greater than your ability to model it!

unless of course you have the self-restraint and willpower of Signaller69 of this parish and model a real light railway. Look up his Dunnington DVLR threads!

Tim T

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, RedGemAlchemist said:

Here's what I did with one.

DSC_0070.JPG.57f4d253faea615e4672aa63b5ea7d4f.JPG

New cab, new dome, couple other odds and ends. Makes a good chunk of difference. 

Exactly. Why do you think I got my one running again? 

That is a handsome beast!!!

Hi Red, been away for a while, family stuff!!! Good to see you are still delivering the goods!!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Martin S-C said:

With my modelling skills that won't be too hard!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

2 hours ago, Sandhole said:

That is a handsome beast!!!

Hi Red, been away for a while, family stuff!!! Good to see you are still delivering the goods!!

Thanks man. Well, trying to in between the house move and all that. 

1 hour ago, Sophia NSE said:

With my modelling skills that won't be too hard!

Glad to hear it. Look forward to seeing it and welcome to the fold! 

On 13/04/2018 at 10:13, GeraldH said:

No prizes for guessing the origin of this one, although the height has been reduced somewhat.

post-34152-0-13967700-1523610740_thumb.jpg

Think Hornby missed a trick here , if the overall shape had been correct they could have sold even more ....

• Agree 1

So the Jwhatever number it is (did warn you I'm not an expert on kettles!) arrived today, boxed and in mint condition still with the original instructions!

The foreman at Ashford works took one look, shrugged his shoulders and said "What do you want us to do with it?" 

The directors of the Weald of Kent Light Railway decided that as its a lovely machine it may well have to keep its colour, though the lettering and numbering will have to go...They await the delivery of the random selection of loco bodies to decide their further plans.

20190612_171357.jpg

Edited by Sophia NSE
Clueless when it comes to steamy class numbers!
  • Like 4

46 minutes ago, Martin S-C said:

That sounds just like my shed foreman. Are they related?

Its entirely possible!

The board have now spotted a joblot of Hornby Dublo R1 bodies and are considering releasing the funds to purchase them as they also fancy attempting to knock together an H class.

I should really stick to trying to model very plain electric units!!

I am showing my ignorance here, but as this apertains to a "pugbash" perhaps someone may be able to help....

I have acquired a Hornby 06 with the intention of cutting down the chassis for my Playcraft diesel shunter (that I recently posted about). Removing body, footplate and motor clip spring leaves me with this:

IMG_0259.JPG

I undid the screw underneath to discover it simply releases the casting that the motor sits on top of...

And lifting the motor off I have a chassis with free running wheel sets...

IMG_0260.JPG

And I can now see the power pickups pressing against the back of the wheels...

IMG_0261.JPG

But I cannot work out how the power is transferred to the motor! I can see that the top of the pickups extend into the plastic "saddle sides" that the motor sits in. As there are no wire connections to the motor, I assumed that meant that the motor must be somehow isolated down the middle (for positive and negative). But the motor casing goes all the way around in one piece...

IMG_0262.JPG

I am therefore very confused! I want to remove the plastic side pieces so that the chassis fits into the width of the body of my Playcraft shunter... but how do I then get power to the motor?

Also, by losing the horrible clip (again to reduce the horizontal width required for the motor) I need to secure the motor to the metal block it sits upon. Can I use "no more nails", silicon glue or similar or does power need to flow across that joint?

Loathe to make a start until I understand what the implications are, so any advice would be very helpful. Don't think I've seen it mentioned here before, probably because it is so basic that nobody thought it needed remarking upon!

Thanks in advance for help with this.

Steve

Edited by SteveyDee68
Placing photos with relevant text and correcting auto spell typos!

• RMweb Premium

The key to seeing where the power goes in is to follow the two legs on that suppressor.. It is connected across the two feeds to the motor, you can just see one terminal in the picture above....

Andy G

Edit: The copper pick-up extensions must press against the legs of that suppressor when the clip is in place to form continuity to the track... I've not had one in my hands, but that's what it looks like from here....

Edited by uax6
  • Informative/Useful 1