Show us your Pugbashes, Nellieboshes, Desmondifications, Jintysteins

Corbs

58 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Well, inspired by the efforts of you all, I've finally decided to join the august ranks of Nellie-bashers.

It had long struck me that Nellie might look good as a compact 2-4-0 passenger tank - as a passenger tank, recalling her LSWR C14 heritage - and I acquired a beaten up Nellie body from the Bay of Fleas (I still have my childhood Nellie, cherished and safe, and she's not going under the knife!!).

The intention is to upgrade a Nellie but keep as much of the character and appearance of the original body as possible.

One thing I dislike about the Triang body is the cab front sheet, which would really look better with round spectacles. Other than that, it is really only necessary to replace the moulded-on hand rails and smokebox dart and to add the usual refinements, e.g. screw link couplings and vac pipes (it's to be a passenger loco in this guise), lamp irons, crew etc.

However, this was a beaten-up body that had lost its rear steps and chimney, so here there will have to be further changes.  The Dean chimney pictured is temporary, while I mull.  Given the need to replace the rear steps, I thought I might as well go to town and have nice, big curvy ones.

The other change is necessitated by the change in wheel arrangement.  I have cut out the cab doors and provided splashers for the rear driving wheels, rather like a Brighton Terrier or D tank.   

Here we see it in primer to identify the sanding and filling necessary, so, early days, but the chassis runs and the body fits it, so, the job's a good 'un.

IMG_5913.JPG.79503a4daab9f335a3c31add7c1af0dd.JPG

Very nice. I've been very tempted to do something similar to my No.1.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Nile said:

Nice, what chassis have you used?

I'd guess it's a Bachmann NotThomas? The rods are in 2 parts so you can easily convert to a 4-coupled (is it 4 coupled or 2 coupled?) loco.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Nile said:

Nice, what chassis have you used?

16 hours ago, Corbs said:

I'd guess it's a Bachmann NotThomas? The rods are in 2 parts so you can easily convert to a 4-coupled (is it 4 coupled or 2 coupled?) loco.

Yes, it's a Bachmann Junior 0-6-0.

As the centre axle is driven and the rods are in two parts, you could add a front splasher and do an 0-4-2 version just as easily!

I thinned the inside of the keeper plate until the leading wheel was low enough to sit on the rails, packed the axle groove in the chassis block above it, including some springy material, and added lead to the inside of the smokebox. I simply bent the front wiper pickups to be in contact with the smaller wheels, so there are still pickups from all six wheels.

Crude, but effective.  It now runs very well as a 2-4-0, as well as it did as an 0-6-0, which is really well given the silky smooth Bachmann mechanism.  It was a test in part because I have a pukka 2-4-0 conversion planned for Castle Aching using this chassis. 

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, AlfaZagato said:

Actually, for you more experienced butchers, which of the chassis would be an OK start for a Crampton?   Or am I speaking crazy?

I tried one, but what finally beat me was that outside Stephenson valve gear with two eccentrics, which I thought was awfully fiddly, and I gave up.  Before you get there, you need to recognise that the chassis is very lowslung, and I used a brass strip running centrally along the length placed flat, rather than the conventional side frames. The two leading axles were on a bogie, and the driver axle on extensions at the back with gears and motor. I followed an old RM article by Mike Sharman, king of such goings on, and articulated the four wheel tender on to the rear of the main frame, with the leading tender axle floating, and plenty of weight in the tender body and the boiler. Doing it like this it ran well, with a satisfactory pull. But then as I say, you can get bogged down in the motion detail. Otherwise, if you save up, you can buy a HO kit from a French firm.

• Informative/Useful 2

7 minutes ago, AlfaZagato said:

@Northroader I knew of the French kit, firm is Est Modele.   I don't fancy spending that much on a kit, though I've heard it's good.

Also, we're drifting.   @Sophia NSE That is a quaint little thing.    Do you plan on adding some sheet to hide the gap?

I am indeed and the boiler piece I cut out is just the right size to cover that part too. It needs jacking up too as the body is slightly too low

2 hours ago, Sophia NSE said:

IMG20200108181719.jpg.48407926343fb42fba4d29547533ea2d.jpg

Not perfect by any means, but it's my first (and probably not last) effort

1 hour ago, Sophia NSE said:

IMG20200108191958.jpg.36f7001cb1accce53268467153df1247.jpg

Next to a future bash victim. I don't hate the LNER, honest, but they were nice and cheap to pick up!

Very cute little 0-4-0T, though may I suggest replacing the cylinders and motion on it to make it a bit more detailed. I am very much a fan.
And there is no issue here with modifying LNER locomotives.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, RedGemAlchemist said:

Very cute little 0-4-0T, though may I suggest replacing the cylinders and motion on it to make it a bit more detailed. I am very much a fan.
And there is no issue here with modifying LNER locomotives.

Any recommendations as it's partly your fault I'm in this bodging mess to begin with! :D:D

I think next time I won't shorten the body quite as much so the chassis fits better and maybe go inside cylinder to make a 2-4-0...

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 minutes ago, Sophia NSE said:

Any recommendations as it's partly your fault I'm in this bodging mess to begin with! :D:D

I think next time I won't shorten the body quite as much so the chassis fits better and maybe go inside cylinder to make a 2-4-0...

Hmm. Actually, I'd keep the connecting rod for the driving wheels. Replace the piston rod and cylinder with maybe a Triang Duchess or something of similar ilk. 

• Informative/Useful 1