Show us your Pugbashes, Nellieboshes, Desmondifications, Jintysteins

Corbs

2 hours ago, Tullygrainey said:

Thanks for the link PaulRhB. Very interesting. The text describes this loco as a 1-1-2-1-1. However it also says

"the outside road wheels were 3' 9" in diameter, and there was also a rail wheel of the same diameter in the centre of the axle"

so does that make it a 1-1-3-1-1 ? ^_^

I'd say a 2-3-2 as the front and rear wheels are each on a bogie and unpowered. Would you call a GWR Hall a 2-2-6-0? Of course not (and it would be technically wrong anyway)

59 minutes ago, BernardTPM said:

I'd say a 2-3-2 as the front and rear wheels are each on a bogie and unpowered. Would you call a GWR Hall a 2-2-6-0? Of course not (and it would be technically wrong anyway)

That makes sense... I think...

I think thinking is where I went wrong with this

• Funny 2

2 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Folks,

Surely it is a 4/2-2-4/2.

Gibbo.

???  There's only one powered axle and it has three wheels on it (Yes, that is odd in itself). I am not aware that Mr. Whyte used  /  at all. Then again, he didn't devise his notation for monorail systems. Given it was used on the Continent, perhaps it should be a 2A2, just counting the axles.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, alastairq said:

it's got outriggers!

That raises an interesting point. Were the outer wheels actually fixed to the driving axle? They seem to have sanding gear so the answer is probably yes, unless the sanding is just for braking.

Edited by BernardTPM

16 minutes ago, BernardTPM said:

???  There's only one powered axle and it has three wheels on it (Yes, that is odd in itself). I am not aware that Mr. Whyte used  /  at all. Then again, he didn't devise his notation for monorail systems. Given it was used on the Continent, perhaps it should be a 2A2, just counting the axles.

Hi Bernard,

Quite right, my mistake, how about, 4/3-3-4/3 or perhaps (2/3)* 1.5-A*1.5-(2/3)*1.5 including wheels ?

Madness !!!

Gibbo.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, BernardTPM said:

Probably the only sane description of an insane machine....

John

• Funny 1

The 1-1-2-1-1 description is wrong as the small wheels are unpowered. Whyte notation only counts front and rear wheels as one number regardless of being fixed or pivoted or combinations thereof, powered sets are noted between these, sub-grouped if coupled separately (as in, for example, Duplex locos). A 1-1-2-1-1 would be a Triplex loco!

The trials were at Buckhurst Hill on the outskirts of Epping Forest.

Reference tration shunter locomotives? There was a system developed which I believe used a IC tractor as a basis?  The thing was guided by rails, but driven by [rubber?] tyred road wheels. someone somewhere has made a working model of this.....

I know not where, how...or even, why....must strike a chord with someone on here?

3 hours ago, Vanguard 5374 said:

Shortly due to be married to a Pug chassis, however it’s not exactly a bash but more of a body swap.

40C58B42-74D7-4CB8-8A54-BB2382E766AB.jpeg

Which body is that? There was a 3D printed kit for a Peckett W6 on a pug chassis on Shapeways a while back, but it's now listed as "Not currently for sale"

10 minutes ago, RJS1977 said:

Which body is that? There was a 3D printed kit for a Peckett W6 on a pug chassis on Shapeways a while back, but it's now listed as "Not currently for sale"

It’s the same kit, but with a lot of tweaking and will no longer be sold through Shapeways. Right now it’s a test print to see how the model builds up.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Just now, Vanguard 5374 said:

It’s the same kit, but with a lot of tweaking and will no longer be sold through Shapeways. Right now it’s a test print to see how the model builds up.

When you get the kit sorted, give me a shout, as we've had a W6 on the Chosley & Wallingford Railway in recent years, and it's a gap in my model fleet!

Blimey! Should've looked closer at the 2A2/1-1-2-1-1/2-2-2 whatever before I put it up here, I hadn't even realized that it didn't sit on 2 rails. What an interesting (albeit quirky) design...

Edited by CinderMonkey
My atrocious grammar