Show us your Pugbashes, Nellieboshes, Desmondifications, Jintysteins

Corbs

1 minute ago, Sophia NSE said:

Which is the worm?

The Archimedes screw bit? Not sure what your chassis is, but in previous bodges I did long ago it was usually because the body was rubbing against it.

• RMweb Gold

Stupid question but does the chassis run okay without the body?

it might be worth removing the chassis and look inside the body to see if there is evidence of marking suggesting something is touching

If it’s not mechanical it could be electrical, ie maybe the body is allowing wires to touch each other?

2 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

Stupid question but does the chassis run okay without the body?

it might be worth removing the chassis and look inside the body to see if there is evidence of marking suggesting something is touching

If it’s not mechanical it could be electrical, ie maybe the body is allowing wires to touch each other?

It moves though it could probably do with a good running in

IMG20200205215816.jpg.6564506fdb642a284b7d0193a0a0df44.jpgIMG20200205215834.jpg.9fa7b63856013336ea07e313afc00053.jpg

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

as photographed the rotor looks flush with the top of the motor body, however if you turn the rotor by 90 degrees by hand you’ll see that it sits much higher

E3D45B1E-8FC1-492F-8B51-7F7348FB5E9A.jpeg.ca830748542aa3450d04de7d6ceaec5b.jpeg

in other words

3752B82B-D894-498E-BAEC-886A8DC27A1F.jpeg.49b5188ee6917ea0040e9eaa89a67980.jpeg

the size marked in yellow is greater than the size marked in green so it sits higher when in the position shown in the second photo

Hope I’ve not confused matters?

Edited by chuffinghell

A little bit of the body was fouling the very end of the worm so a little carving and a washer added between the chassis and body have helped. I going to do the same to the rear of the chassis to give it an even lift. Might get a circle of track so I can run in the motor too. Thanks for all the suggestions and assistance (I'm such a noob!)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Sophia NSE said:

A little bit of the body was fouling the very end of the worm so a little carving and a washer added between the chassis and body have helped. I going to do the same to the rear of the chassis to give it an even lift. Might get a circle of track so I can run in the motor too. Thanks for all the suggestions and assistance (I'm such a noob!)

Glad you’ve got it sorted :good:

• Thanks 1

Here's a jintybodge W.I.P., incorporating (so far) a Margate-era Hornby jinty, the smokebox front of one of these, the upper portion of a Shay cab, and some plastikard. (The bunker snapped off twice, hence the cab doors to provide some structural integrity). Yes, I suppose you could place it in the steampunk genre, but I prefer to call it an "alternate" locomotive.

20200206_135312~2.jpg

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On 10/02/2020 at 10:00, TurboSnail said:

Work in progress, though not sure I can call it a pugbash given there's not much pug left!

Cardboard footplate, plastic tube boiler, plastic sheet smokebox and wingplate, plastic tube for the cylinders, shortened 3D printed tender left over from another project, and a new Chinese motor, 60:1 gears and flywheel in the chassis.

Hi Tom, that's nice!

I've made a rod for my own back with my decision to make tender engine bodies for the unmodified Holden 0-4-0 chassis, with it's hugeous motor and cradle.

Nevertheless, I'd be grateful for a picture of your chassis modifications, if that's not too much to ask.

Cheers

Tom

9 hours ago, TangoOscarMike said:

Nevertheless, I'd be grateful for a picture of your chassis modifications, if that's not too much to ask.

Of course! I'm currently also working on an even smaller/cheaper version, as the gears on this one were expensive and difficult to fit the odd-sized Hornby axle. I'll post details of that modification here when I've finished it, but for now...

IMG_20200209_222952.jpg.446f23c88aa08c40712d76441f84f166.jpg

Testing on fixed DC voltages:

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

1 hour ago, RJS1977 said:

I think when you have sorted out the cheaper/easier version, that would be something a lot of people could be interested in, irrespective of whether they intend to make any other modifications or not!

Seconded. I'm currently playing with some Gn15 locos using the Hornby chassis, but the size of the motor and the tendency to take off like a greyhound don't make life easy.