Show us your Pugbashes, Nellieboshes, Desmondifications, Jintysteins

Corbs

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, A Murphy said:

Possibly get hold of another body and shut and cut?

Regards,

Alastair M

Hi,

This looks an interesting project.

Alastair answer may be the most straightforward way, though there may be another.

There is a lot of space within the body and chassis mouldings so would it be possible to move the tank forward, effectively doing away with the smokebox area?  It may be worth popping the body of the chassis to have a look.  I suggest that as the tank is already a bit on the long side.  (Unfortunately I don't have one to check this out.)

Good luck with this.

Regards,

Alex.

• Agree 4

Here is my offering of an M&GN /LNER J93. The chassis is scratch built from thin brass sheet and simple bar compensation on the leading and centre axles. The cylinders slide bars and crosshead are made up from brass and nickel silver from the Airfix Pug. Originally they were just plastic from an old kit, but nearly melted due to friction!!! So now suitably beefed up with metal on metal plus a bit of lubrication. 

The body started life as a Mainline J72, chopped about with plasticard additions to get it as near scale as I could without a drawing to check. I used photos from various books that also had some dimensions. To improve the model further, I need to source some brake blocks and rigging, which oddly were not fitted to the leading wheels.

Tod

IMG_20200530_123521153.jpg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

6 hours ago, Quarry-Steam65 said:

I’m planning on turning a pug into a Hawthorn Leslie (3865 ‘Singapore’ specifically)

the boiler may be a bit long but I just need to add a cab back plate, move the safety valves and whistle.

could anyone give any advice on extending the saddle tank?

plastikard perhaps?

D7F8C834-98EC-4E5F-A4B7-AD47BBC327C8.jpeg

90571E50-793C-4FFE-AE79-4D20D69479C3.jpeg

Many years ago as a teenager I extended the tank on one of these to create a freelance industrial. A plasticard profile stuck on the front of the smokebox, and a strip of plasticard along the bottom of the tank to broaden it at the bottom and take away the Neilson profile, then lots of Milliput was shovelled in, smoothed off, and rubbed down when hard.

WP_20180422_15_42_58_Pro.jpg.b6f7947c2356b6e50590043dba2fa9f7.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 8

7 hours ago, Barclay said:

Many years ago as a teenager I extended the tank on one of these to create a freelance industrial. A plasticard profile stuck on the front of the smokebox, and a strip of plasticard along the bottom of the tank to broaden it at the bottom and take away the Neilson profile, then lots of Milliput was shovelled in, smoothed off, and rubbed down when hard.

WP_20180422_15_42_58_Pro.jpg.b6f7947c2356b6e50590043dba2fa9f7.jpg

That's an ace shunter, that! I bet it runs well even with the custom modded body on.

And here's a Tankenstein I made myself. I thought about having a go and I did.

DSC09902.JPG.7a99b8ab8a3723407f39f4472b8fdad4.JPG

DSC09903.JPG.3f894fbcc9998d5f69f1a9cec3acc767.JPG

It's technically a work-in-progress but I thought I'd show everyone what I made. I hope everyone likes it. It's an LNWR 0-4-0 tank engine with LNWR coaches made from GWR 4-wheel ones I picked up at Warley last November. You know, to keep with the aesthetic.

I know there's more to do, but it runs well in both directions and that's great! Plus, during the last 10 weeks of lockdown, I finally got around to my old model railway.

• Like 6

22 hours ago, tubs01 said:

Not sure if this is considered a pugbash, but I got this Hornby 0-4-0 (the gwr one) and I made it an open cab 0-4-2. I know the paint is rough, but i couldn't be bothered to scrape the old paint off, and it looks good enough for me. Sorry about the photos being on my bed, I don't have a layout yet.

IMG_20200531_011854.jpg

IMG_20200531_011856.jpg

IMG_20200531_011859.jpg

20200528_175055.jpg

Interesting. It looks like a mid-to-late Victorian 0-4-2T.

• Like 1

On 31/05/2020 at 23:55, LNWR18901910 said:

That's an ace shunter, that! I bet it runs well even with the custom modded body on.

It did, but that was 35 years ago. I'm now looking at putting a new EM chassis on it, but that will be 6 - coupled, because this is a very big loco for an 0-4-0.

On 31/05/2020 at 15:11, Tullygrainey said:

I did something similar, using a Caledonian Pug to make an approximation of a shunter built in 1914 by LMS NCC to work the dock lines in Belfast. I used the thinnest plasticard I could find to extend the saddle tank by wrapping and bonding this over the existing tank, at the same time extending it to a new fabricated front end. I had to re-profile the tank before doing this and you might too but the moulding is pretty thick and there's plenty to work with. Hope the pics explain this better.

Good luck with your project.

Alan

IMG_1421.jpg.d7cb91ac7596142aaa4e6325b863aec1.jpgIMG_1430.jpg.2a7fd6263c47c8f5eca636d0cec7f0b3.jpgIMG_1431.jpg.23d8fa085c6b797ce245a9ac11e91130.jpgIMG_1498.jpg.09219c29937df7fb22e9cf3881f7fc46.jpg

I'm very impressed with the cylinders, double slide bars crosshead etc. Where did you source them from? They look so much better than my J93 offering. Are there any suppliers of such components out there as I don't want to buy a complete chassis just to get the motion parts.

Tod

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tullygrainey said:

Thanks Tod

I can't claim any originality here. I picked up some of the technique from others in this thread. The sliders and crosshead are Hornby spares, part of a valve gear set for a 2-8-0 Class 28xx loco. I got them here:

https://www.petersspares.com/index.jsp?searchStr=X8834W

There are probably better alternatives out there - something a bit smaller, maybe. Anyone? 

The cylinders are scratch built from plasticard and sections cut from the barrel of a disposable propelling pencil - the sort you buy in packs of 10 at the supermarket.

Alan

IMG_1475.jpg.40147c553e0c96ca7a3772da3048246c.jpg

IMG_1474.jpg.73d37b6d20f2ce6b4ad29adc9c53fbd4.jpg

IMG_1479.jpg.788f23a54ae7e0f2d68c5a6f00642a17.jpg

G'Day Folks

Totally transforms the look of the Caly chassis, thinking it will probably work on bigger loco's

manna

• Like 7
  • Agree 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

On 04/06/2020 at 00:13, manna said:

G'Day Folks

Totally transforms the look of the Caly chassis, thinking it will probably work on bigger loco's

manna

I did something similar, using a Caledonian Pug to make an approximation of a shunter built in 1914 by LMS NCC to work the dock lines in Belfast. I used the thinnest plasticard I could find to extend the saddle tank by wrapping and bonding this over the existing tank, at the same time extending it to a new fabricated front end. I had to re-profile the tank before doing this and you might too but the moulding is pretty thick and there's plenty to work with. Hope the pics explain this better.

Good luck with your project.

Alan

IMG_1421.jpg.d7cb91ac7596142aaa4e6325b863aec1.jpgIMG_1430.jpg.2a7fd6263c47c8f5eca636d0cec7f0b3.jpgIMG_1431.jpg.23d8fa085c6b797ce245a9ac11e91130.jpgIMG_1498.jpg.09219c29937df7fb22e9cf3881f7fc46.jpg

Thank you Alan for the info. I may make up new motion sets if my version isn't reliable. I have some plastic tubes from TePe dental plaque brushes, which are about the same outside diameter as the pencils. I also have odments of nickel silver strip from sprue frames that would make the slide bars. I will be ordering some other stuff from  Peters Spares, so I'll see if they still have the components that you used, which could make life easier! Its a shame that the current Hornby Pug  motion isn't the same as the Airfix/Dapol/Kitmaster plastic kit. If that had been recreated in metal, it would have solved my problem. Never mind, there are more important things in life to worry about, especially in the world today!

Best wishes to all,

Tod

Tod

I'm very impressed with the cylinders, double slide bars crosshead etc. Where did you source them from? They look so much better than my J93 offering. Are there any suppliers of such components out there as I don't want to buy a complete chassis just to get the motion parts.

Tod

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 03/06/2020 at 22:05, Tullygrainey said:

Thanks Tod

I can't claim any originality here. I picked up some of the technique from others in this thread. The sliders and crosshead are Hornby spares, part of a valve gear set for a 2-8-0 Class 28xx loco. I got them here:

https://www.petersspares.com/index.jsp?searchStr=X8834W

There are probably better alternatives out there - something a bit smaller, maybe. Anyone? 

The cylinders are scratch built from plasticard and sections cut from the barrel of a disposable propelling pencil - the sort you buy in packs of 10 at the supermarket.

Alan

47 minutes ago, SweenyTod1 said:

Tod

Tod

The answer you seek is above, fair traveller.

• Agree 1

On 01/06/2020 at 00:01, LNWR18901910 said:

Interesting. It looks like a mid-to-late Victorian 0-4-2T.

That is the kind of look I was going for. I think the small buffers i got from a wagon really help it.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Corbs said:

The answer you seek is above, fair traveller.

Oh dear, I posted the wrong reply. Sorry about that. Its my birthday today and the wine and port must have confused this old (74 th year) brain!! So I have absolutely no idea where the intended reply post has gone, lost in an alcoholic haze probably? I know I was!!  I'm not now, but as its getting late, I hear my bed calling. I've had a great day, what I can remember anyway, so I better quit  while I'm ahead.

Nite nite

Tod

• Friendly/supportive 5

2 hours ago, tubs01 said:

That is the kind of look I was going for. I think the small buffers i got from a wagon really help it.

True, true. They certainly do indeed! What 4-wheel coaches would you use on your layout?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SweenyTod1 said:

Oh dear, I posted the wrong reply. Sorry about that. Its my birthday today and the wine and port must have confused this old (74 th year) brain!! So I have absolutely no idea where the intended reply post has gone, lost in an alcoholic haze probably? I know I was!!  I'm not now, but as its getting late, I hear my bed calling. I've had a great day, what I can remember anyway, so I better quit  while I'm ahead.

Nite nite

Tod

Happy birthday!

14 hours ago, LNWR18901910 said:

True, true. They certainly do indeed! What 4-wheel coaches would you use on your layout?

Just the standard Hornby ones most likely. but i might see what else i can get.