she'll be equipped with just about anything you can think of in the cab

hat

saw

life ring

flag

and a scarf

20200608_194927.jpg.7441bde5f8cd34a63bb12d3e61402cab.jpg

Very cute. I like it!
Also, is that a Dad's Army bell and some vintage ERTL Thomas toys? Nice.

• Agree 1

On 11/06/2020 at 03:12, SteelAndSoot said:

A current loco I am working on named Bealie

she'll be equipped with just about anything you can think of in the cab

hat

saw

life ring

flag

and a scarf

20200608_194927.jpg.7441bde5f8cd34a63bb12d3e61402cab.jpgdsfghj.PNG.1da523679d5e43ebbca74024911553bd.PNGI won't be using this pug as I have another coming in the mail

I see Dapol pug and I see Hornby Nellie. I had to look closely as it is one of those things my mind recognised but I could not quite think where from until I remembered the style of the wheels and con rods from the Dapol chassis. Then it all started to make sense!

On 09/06/2020 at 20:59, TangoOscarMike said:

Ahh, but I'm aiming for a 1:1 scale model of the model railway that I wanted when I was ten, way back in the twentieth century. So for my purposes they are completely historically accurate! But maybe this counts as preservation, rather than modelling.

Since they are so good for beginners to chop up and experiment with, it's a pity that the overall dimensions are so off. Although of course, improving the dimensions can be one of the results of the chopping and experimenting. Several helpful people have posted guidelines for this.

The beading, hugeous though it is (something like a scale inch square in cross section) is a positive asset for people (like me) who are trying to get to grips with painting. My first attempt at painting a Ratio 4-wheeler was...... inauspicious, let's say.

But still and all, perhaps the world would be a much much better place if Hornby had attended closely to the Triang clerestories when they designed their imaginary 4-wheelers.

On 10/06/2020 at 13:34, HonestTom said:

I'm actually planning to take advantage of the unrealistic nature of the Hornby 4-wheelers - I have a couple of the track cleaning coach chassis (chassises? What even is the plural of "chassis?"), which give a much better ride height. The idea behind them is that they will belong to a fictional and somewhat impecunious pre-Grouping company that has simply been rebuilding the same old coaches since the 1850s. If anyone points out that they don't look like anything that really ran, I'll just nod thoughtfully and say, "Yes, the South London Railway's stock really was unique."

It depends on what you want to achieve.

I think I could use one as a Disc World coach.  I'd actually fill in between the raised beading in order to achieve a less constructionally illiterate appearance, but the off-proportions (in real world terms) would be an advantage on the Disc precisely because that takes it a little distance from how a Round World coach would look.

Nevertheless, it's a nasty piece of plastic when all's said and done!

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, SteelAndSoot said:

indeed they are. I just have fun stuff on my desk like my model of the bob semple

Nothing wrong with that. I have R2D2, C3PO and a 3 Monkeys statue on my workbench, amongst some other things like some of my Space Marines and stuff like that.

Edited by RedGemAlchemist

On 08/06/2020 at 18:20, Mountain Goat said:

One thing I can say is there have been thousands of delighted adults and children who have cherished these little Hornby 4 wheel coaches in the same way that we love these little Hornby 0-4-0's.

On 08/06/2020 at 21:44, RJS1977 said:

I recently rediscovered my original three GWR four-wheel coaches as well - I needed an extra set of coaches for my tiimetable and came across them. They do look slightly odd(!) coupled to a pair of Ratio 4-wheelers, but as with Adam's Pug, they're staying as they are!

I'm one of those who still love these little coaches, for all their imperfections - my first layout (and so far only one, now sadly long gone) being 5' by 4' and with two loops was unable to fit bogie coaches other than the Triang clerestory and 4 wheelers - and the 4 wheelers captured the look that ten year old me was aiming for in my early vague attempts at pre-grouping models. Ended up with about ten of them in total, and it did look somewhat impressive with a short train of these behind a small engine (more often than not a CR type pug).  Each to their own I guess.

• Like 8
  • Agree 1

On ‎13‎/‎06‎/‎2020 at 21:41, Caley 439 said:

I'm one of those who still love these little coaches, for all their imperfections - my first layout (and so far only one, now sadly long gone) being 5' by 4' and with two loops was unable to fit bogie coaches other than the Triang clerestory and 4 wheelers - and the 4 wheelers captured the look that ten year old me was aiming for in my early vague attempts at pre-grouping models. Ended up with about ten of them in total, and it did look somewhat impressive with a short train of these behind a small engine (more often than not a CR type pug).  Each to their own I guess.

That's what I always liked about them. Put four or five behind a Terrier and to my early teenage eye it looked like a decent approximation of a long Victorian suburban train. I guess this is one of those things where your opinion on them depends on the kind of modeller you are. Back then, I was prepared to accept these compromises because I didn't have the money or skill for anything better, and I didn't know enough to be bothered by the inaccuracy.

I realise that sounds patronising, but I should clarify that I use the same philosophy today. If some aspect of railway modelling isn't my particular area of expertise or interest, I'm perfectly happy to settle for what looks about right to me and live in blissful ignorance. 

Edited by HonestTom
  • Like 5
  • Agree 3

My grandad had a Victorian GWR train of 3 Hornby 4 wheelers and 2 ratio coaches all hauled by Lord of the Isles.

the coaches are really good (in my opinion) for early suburban/Victorian trains on a budget.

Edited by Quarry-Steam65
  • Like 3

They have the edge over the Hornby ones because they actually look like something that existed. 

Unfortunately they're also very expensive for what they are, so hardly suitable for those on a budget.

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, sem34090 said:

They have the edge over the Hornby ones because they actually look like something that existed. 

Unfortunately they're also very expensive for what they are, so hardly suitable for those on a budget.

I agree 100% with all of that but I think the Hattons Genesis coaches will be better and a little cheaper so a win, win from Hattons!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

It is one thing that I think the manufacturers should start considering in the future. Peoples budgets. Ok. I have gone years on and off with no income or typically a few months a year working around 12 to 16 hours a week (When I could last work) at minimum wage or below, so I am the exception. But even those who have had reasonable incomes may not have much spare money. I count myself blessed these days just to be on benefits as I could not before. I could not survive if I did not live with my Mum, as to rent a small house costs more then I get, but at least now I am happy. Life is uncertain as I never would have guessed that I would reach a point where I could not even cope with part time work without hitting issues, but what I am saying is... In the past  50 years, the hobby always catered in one way or another for modellers who are on tight budgets, but these days models that have been described as "Budget" are now slipping out of peoples grasp. The real issue is that there is nothing much out there to take its place unless like me one knows how to use ones tallents to make up for ones lack of modelling funds.

So I am not complaining on behalf of myself, but on behalf of others who I see could do with a little hand up into the hobby to make a start. 

Question. Where have all those lovely trainsets gone? It seems that hardly any are being offered from the manufacturers, and the few that are tend to be not exactly starter sets but what I call the medium range sets. (The sets where if one can afford a little bit extra one will buy one).

I understand that there may not be quite so much profit in the budget sets, but unless they are available, how do people start in the hobby? 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Mountain Goat said:

It is one thing that I think the manufacturers should start considering in the future. Peoples budgets. Ok. I have gone years on and off with no income or typically a few months a year working around 12 to 16 hours a week (When I could last work) at minimum wage or below, so I am the exception. But even those who have had reasonable incomes may not have much spare money. I count myself blessed these days just to be on benefits as I could not before. I could not survive if I did not live with my Mum, as to rent a small house costs more then I get, but at least now I am happy. Life is uncertain as I never would have guessed that I would reach a point where I could not even cope with part time work without hitting issues, but what I am saying is... In the past  50 years, the hobby always catered in one way or another for modellers who are on tight budgets, but these days models that have been described as "Budget" are now slipping out of peoples grasp. The real issue is that there is nothing much out there to take its place unless like me one knows how to use ones tallents to make up for ones lack of modelling funds.

So I am not complaining on behalf of myself, but on behalf of others who I see could do with a little hand up into the hobby to make a start. 

Question. Where have all those lovely trainsets gone? It seems that hardly any are being offered from the manufacturers, and the few that are tend to be not exactly starter sets but what I call the medium range sets. (The sets where if one can afford a little bit extra one will buy one).

I understand that there may not be quite so much profit in the budget sets, but unless they are available, how do people start in the hobby? 

People were saying the same 30 years ago but the hobby survived.  In fact Hornby has only survived in the last decade or so precisely because it moved away from the expanded toy train set market to the cash-rich-time-and-talent-poor customer.

The answer to your last question is the same as it as always been: buy second-hand.  Taking up railway modelling is only expensive if your first purchase is a Hornby Duchess with DCC Sound, just as driving a car is expensive if you won't settle for less than a Range Rover.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Northmoor said:

People were saying the same 30 years ago but the hobby survived.  In fact Hornby has only survived in the last decade or so precisely because it moved away from the expanded toy train set market to the cash-rich-time-and-talent-poor customer.

The answer to your last question is the same as it as always been: buy second-hand.  Taking up railway modelling is only expensive if your first purchase is a Hornby Duchess with DCC Sound, just as driving a car is expensive if you won't settle for less than a Range Rover.

Back in the 1970s when I was working on a Saturday in Platform Two, Wimbledon Broadway we used to get families come in and they wanted the top of the range set but only had cash for the cheaper versions. My standard answer was to show them some of the second hand items we had and regularly they ended up with a choice of a new set with a circle of track, 0-4-0T loco and three wagons or my second hand offering with two locos, a double track oval, four or five wagons and two or three coaches. Even if the parents were not sure the kids always saw the better deal and most of the time the same families would return on a monthly basis to buy additions to the railway they had. It was very satisfying to hear about their plans and how much enjoyment they were getting out of it. 

Cheap and cheerful does not stop you enjoying a railway it just means you have to cut your cloth according to you means which is what I also had to do although nearly a quarter of the TT gauge second hand came home with me as in those days I had a TT layout and my wages were always taken in stock.

Edited by Chris116
Spelling Mistake!
  • Like 8

The difference though is that back in the 70s there were plenty of model shops where if someone wanted to buy a secondhand item, the proprietor would have an oval of track where they would demonstrate that it worked, the customer would hand over the cash and take it home and if there were any problems, it was usually easy enough to nip back to the shop and either get a refund or the proprietor would fix it.

Now most secondhand stock is sold either at exhibitions or via ebay etc. Not so easy to see an item demonstrated (the ebay vendor may have put video of a working model on his page, but how do you know that's the self-same one he's going to send you?), and a lot more hassle to return it if there's a problem. I'm on several Facebook model railway groups and it's quite common to see posts from people who are clearly frustrated that a model they have bought online has not worked once it has arrived, and the vendor is refusing to take it back as 'it was working when i sent it to you'.

Another problem with secondhand items is that by definition secondhand models are of historical prototypes. Not really much use for the young lad on a limited budget who wants to model the 800s etc that pass through his local station.

When I was growing up, we weren't rich by any means, but all the locos my father bought during that period were new, whereas we both look at the prices of new locos now and think 'very nice, but not at that price' - even Hattons famous Bargains don't seem so much like Bargains these days. Northmoor said - quite rightly - not everyone needs to drive a Range Rover - the trouble is that that's all Bachmann in particular are interested in making. And whilst the top-end market is currently making money for the model companies selling to those modellers whose kids have left home and have paid off their mortgages, those modellers won't be around forever.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

I agree with much of what you say, but "Another problem with secondhand items is that by definition secondhand models are of historical prototypes." doesn't really hold true. You can buy a brand new model of many historic locos, but you could equally pick up a year old model of a Hornby Javelin or similar secondhand.

There are far fewer local retail outlets for secondhand model trains now though compared to when I was buying the stuff in the 1970s.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

It makes me feel so old to think that 1990 was 30 years ago! I remember going to the model shop in Weston, the poor person having to test what seemed like every single loco in the shop on the test track because I loved to see them move. :lol:

• Like 3
  • Funny 2

19 hours ago, StueyG said:

Not quite on the topic of Triang/Hornby 4 wheelers but this chap has an inetresting idea for pre grouping coaches;

Hullo, that's me! And I've released a follow-up this week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fl4F7d4OvgE

(apologies, I have no idea how you embed videos here)

I admit this isn't the most low-budget way of getting LBSC coaches. These ones cost me about £28 apiece, not including postage. At present, there's little price advantage over the Genesis coaches or Smallbrook Studios' kits, and of course the former will be ready-liveried and the latter is more accurate. However, I don't know how expensive these coaches will be when Bachmann release them in the UK. To be honest, my main reason for doing this was just to see if it could be done.

Edited by HonestTom
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, RJS1977 said:

And whilst the top-end market is currently making money for the model companies selling to those modellers whose kids have left home and have paid off their mortgages, those modellers won't be around forever.

All true, and the manufacturers are understandably making hay while that particular sun continues to shine.

The problem for those who want cheaper stuff is that production slots are sought after and not in surplus, so its difficult for a commercial player to justify, omitting a run of a premium product in favour of something that will generate a smaller profit margin.

Hornby manage it, but only because they have been around so long that they have a back catalogue of stuff that no longer has any development cost to repay.

Swapmeets are a good source of real bargains, especially if you have the ability to tinker things back to life. At the last one I attended, I purchased a Bachmann Ivatt tank, (one of the first releases, so pretty old) unboxed but in immaculate outward condition for £30. It was almost the dearest of its kind there, but all those tagged with lower prices had slight damage or signs of wear. A quick look at the wheels soon reveals those locos that have been run to death; the ones on this looked unused!

Once home, it was onto the rolling road to assess what might need doing. It ran better than the one I bought new did when they both were!  A few drops of oil to be on the safe side, and it still does.

John     

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Corbs said:

It makes me feel so old to think that 1990 was 30 years ago! I remember going to the model shop in Weston, the poor person having to test what seemed like every single loco in the shop on the test track because I loved to see them move. :lol:

I remember doing something similar in Antics in Gloucester in the late 90s/early 2000s, it was never a big shop but was over 2 floors and it seemed to do everything hobby related, RC helicopters, airsoft guns, warhammer, airfix etc and upstairs was the model railway section with a big wall cabinet of second hand items

Antics are still going and it's a nice model shop but they're now based in the smaller ground floor of what used to be a camera shop (I think) next door and second hand is one small glass cabinet at floor level with 6-12 items in it.

The Cheltenham Model Centre is still the same as it ever was. Their second hand department is huge for a physical shop and varied though I'm convinced some of the items in their cabinets are the same as when was a child, the cabinets and wooden shelves are certainly the same.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

All true, and the manufacturers are understandably making hay while that particular sun continues to shine.

The problem for those who want cheaper stuff is that production slots are sought after and not in surplus, so its difficult for a commercial player to justify, omitting a run of a premium product in favour of something that will generate a smaller profit margin.

Hornby manage it, but only because they have been around so long that they have a back catalogue of stuff that no longer has any development cost to repay.

Swapmeets are a good source of real bargains, especially if you have the ability to tinker things back to life. At the last one I attended, I purchased a Bachmann Ivatt tank, (one of the first releases, so pretty old) unboxed but in immaculate outward condition for £30. It was almost the dearest of its kind there, but all those tagged with lower prices had slight damage or signs of wear. A quick look at the wheels soon reveals those locos that have been run to death; the ones on this looked unused!

Once home, it was onto the rolling road to assess what might need doing. It ran better than the one I bought new did when they both were!  A few drops of oil to be on the safe side, and it still does.

John     

I've had some great luck at swap meets in the past year.

Theres a small one in Burton and a trader had a non working Hornby class 08 for £25, otherwise immaculate but unboxed, took it home and it was DCC fitted but had the analogue control turned off, fortunately I use DCC  and it runs like a dream. I've been considering bashing it into one of the MSC hudswells

Though you do need to be wary of duds as the sellers typically don't have any way to test a model in front of you, some of the regulars and bigger sellers at swap meets accept refunds or exchanges if there's an issue but it's very much based on goodwill. My 'tested and working' dean good for instance works, but only if you run it at full power and give it a poke every 6 inches as something is binding in the mechanism

• Like 2