Show us your Pugbashes, Nellieboshes, Desmondifications, Jintysteins

Corbs

1 minute ago, BackRoomBoffin said:

At the risk of derailing a fine thread with hairsplitting - Surtees was Wainwright's draughtsman and basically responsible for the 'Wainwright' cab (and, allegedly, everything else). He very briefly overlapped at Ashford in 1913/1914 after Wainwright's retirement with Maunsell and his assistants Pearson (from the GWR) and Clayton (from the Midland).

Clayton is allegedly responsible for almost everything from the Maunsell era that has parallel boiler and Belpairefirebox (particularly the rebuilds of the Ds and Es, and the L1s). He was also the brains behind the S&D 2-8-0s.

So I was assuming that, to design your loco, Surtees took the new boy out for a pint when Maunsell was talking to the rest of the staff about taper boiler passenger tanks. Maybe the WKR got hold of the beermats after?

The actual response to heavy shunting in Kent during WW1 was to a) put a saddle tank on a C class and b) hire all kinds of locos from all over during the war.

I did read somewhere that Wainwright wasn't much of a loco man and others were actually responsible for the designs he was credited with.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if the pub landlord flogged a beermat or two to the WKR they managed to get a slightly knackered T1 shunter for the paper traffic coming out of the Tovil paper mills.

In further WKR news the elderly Q1 0-4-4 is having movement issues but most of an H class body has just arrived. The works foreman may have had a few drinks before ordering it!

IMG20200624193058.jpg.6475eb29c81f769ed3351f12d8fe74ad.jpg

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Londontram said:

Now you say that but I still get a pang of guilt just before starting to chop a loco.

Agreed. Why many of mine were built from models that were broken already in some way.

1 hour ago, BackRoomBoffin said:

put a saddle tank on a C class

Any photos? I'm interested to see that someone actually did something like this.

2 minutes ago, BlueLightning said:

The lady knows her stuff! It's very far from accurate, but it is based on it.

I'd love to make a decent model of it one day, but I need to focus on more useful locos for my layouts first!

SECR I'm not too bad at, anything else and I'm pretty clueless.

Someone else on here was looking to bash a C class into that saddle tank (they only converted one if I remember correctly) so it might be worth looking for that topic.

• RMweb Gold

I think I've seen the thread, and I have no doubt I could manage it, but with my modelling not being in SECR territory I already have too many SECR locos. H, C, 4 Ps, T, D, Terrier, and a T to come in the future (I have all the parts) plus a couple of rakes of passenger stock, 1 Bachmann, one kitbash 4 wheel SER 1880's rake. So for now I need to concentrate on LBSC stock

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, BlueLightning said:

I think I've seen the thread, and I have no doubt I could manage it, but with my modelling not being in SECR territory I already have too many SECR locos. H, C, 4 Ps, T, D, Terrier, and a T to come in the future (I have all the parts) plus a couple of rakes of passenger stock, 1 Bachmann, one kitbash 4 wheel SER 1880's rake. So for now I need to concentrate on LBSC stock

Oh now I'm jealous of all your lovely SECR stock! If I can get my ex SER Q1 running again I'll be very happy

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm sure you will work out the Q1, I was looking at the pictures on your thread earlier but couldn't see anything obvious.

and I forgot I have a pair of R1's one that has been detailed up very nicely, and one to be backdated to an R

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BlueLightning said:

I'm sure you will work out the Q1, I was looking at the pictures on your thread earlier but couldn't see anything obvious.

and I forgot I have a pair of R1's one that has been detailed up very nicely, and one to be backdated to an R

I can't see anything obviously wrong with it either.

IMG20200624220517.jpg.51089ed5d72720ca262d4358bef3940b.jpg

This is the pair of R1s I haven't done anything to...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BlueLightning said:

and here is mine, with the overlays starting to look like it's time for some better transfers!

1993493336_2020-06-2422_31_18.jpg.bcea82484b30ef42f570e85100445adb.jpg

I could have done with something like that for the Q1. I have no idea what colour or size transfers to use

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Sophia NSE said:

A few minutes work and we have this!

IMG20200624162744.jpg.d0d583fc3c1db4747c151419fdf497e0.jpg

IMG20200624162736.jpg.4a43ad6a8d2bd50a0f6f187e5bbac9f1.jpg

IMG20200624162731.jpg.63c0d2fec53874c0fe777e5fd2e1ac99.jpg

It looks to be an improvement.  Friendly questions though; (1) how does it sit within the loading gauge, e.g. next to wagons?  (2) I think it needs more coal capacity, maybe extending the side tanks forward to just behind the smokebox would allow firebox-side bunkers without having to extend the frames out at the back (assuming you're using the original chassis).  (3) I think it also could benefit from a larger chimney that matches the height of the cab.  Just my opinions of course.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, RedGemAlchemist said:

Immediately makes me think of this disproportionate beast for some reason:

triang-oo-r153-br-black-6-saddle-tank_360_791f3f03c4726ca3aacd743dd9eee486.jpg.1f85e514bf20144ca375359848d3334a.jpg

It is only the detail like the wheel splashers and some of the smaller details which would need changing. It is odd when one finds a so called "Highly inaccurate toy" turns out to be a fairly close and proportioned model of a prototype except for a few details. 

It is funny though as Triangs adjustments which needed height to clear a clockwork spring... If they did not base it on this loco above, then it really does make one think that "There is a prototype for everything" could not be too far out as being true. 

This would make a rather excellent article on how to convert one of these to look like the prototype above and it looks very do-able!

• Like 1

On 19/06/2020 at 08:33, Corbs said:

I think the Dowlais/Hornby loco would tower over the Terrier and would not need stretching to fit the Terrier chassis, I think I have one of those bodies somewhere I could plonk on the chassis...

'Pant' was an 0-4-0T rebuilt to an 0-6-0T hence the squat look compared to the other two.

l6bKsRvLATwVCfTMiwAkxi5kn3D-mNZ7qSCrQ3ny

Also this thread is helpful

Mike Edge is also building the 0-6-0T version in metal - one had a belpaire firebox and the other had a round top.

IMG_0927.JPG

Doesn't that remind you of Thomas? I am not saying it is identical. I am saying that the Hornby Thomas may be a good candidate to represent something like this, but I no longer have a Thomas to look at to see how similar they are.

Edited by Mountain Goat
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, Mountain Goat said:

It is only the detail like the wheel splashers and some of the smaller details which would need changing. It is odd when one finds a so called "Highly inaccurate toy" turns out to be a fairly close and proportioned model of a prototype except for a few details. 

Well, the bit I was referring to was that the locomotive is rather too "lanky" in proportions and the chimney a bit too short.

Edited by RedGemAlchemist
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, TonyMay said:

It looks to be an improvement.  Friendly questions though; (1) how does it sit within the loading gauge, e.g. next to wagons?  (2) I think it needs more coal capacity, maybe extending the side tanks forward to just behind the smokebox would allow firebox-side bunkers without having to extend the frames out at the back (assuming you're using the original chassis).  (3) I think it also could benefit from a larger chimney that matches the height of the cab.  Just my opinions of course.

Your third point was definitely something I was considering. I don't have a chassis for it yet so have no idea about the loading gauge, though the cab was trimmed to be a similar height to the original

Update on Singapore. Safety valves moved and dome holes filled in. Another coat of paint and a 0-4-0 chassis. Then off to get nameplates and some work plates. A bit rough and ready but I don’t think it’s bad for my first attempt....

651640D8-5F05-4170-866F-742D396D23FD.jpeg

Edited by Quarry-Steam65
  • Like 7

Pleased with the progress so far on this. Still need to get a chassis for it.IMG20200627212217.jpg.75b598288147d761fdc39be7b8862654.jpg

IMG20200627212227.jpg.eeefbe6d77ba02c0ce32ab5b4114cfc7.jpg

As it will be a private works shunter it doesn't have to be green. I was thinking maybe a nice dark blue. In WKR news I've discovered the issue with the Q1 and it's back running again

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1