Show us your Pugbashes, Nellieboshes, Desmondifications, Jintysteins

Corbs

Has anyone done any bashes of the old Lima diesel shunter?...that HO continental style one that had lots of liveries including BR. I've got a couple in the "jobs to get around to one day" cupboard and I'm looking to build some railmotors for a planned 0-16.5 layout.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Has anyone done any bashes of the old Lima diesel shunter?...that HO continental style one that had lots of liveries including BR. I've got a couple in the "jobs to get around to one day" cupboard and I'm looking to build some railmotors for a planned 0-16.5 layout.

Would it be this one, by any chance?

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/95520-what-lima-loco-did-this-pancake-motor-come-from/&do=findComment&comment=1779537

This model - and others very similar to it - is actually US outline - and has been offered by a number of RTR manufacturers.

It's based on a Plymouth shunter - I believe the 0-4-0 version to be a MDT and the 0-6-0 version a WDT (please don't hold me to this - I'm not an expert - I'm just repeating stuff other people have posted on a number of other sites).

Plymouth actually produced a number of similarly styled Diesel shunters, both of these models are reputed to be somewhat overscale - despite being sold as HO, they're often regarded as actually being much closer to On30 (albeit having cabs with low roofs for the scale).

This is reputed to have been one factor behind the appearance of the "On30 Conspiracy" - the "conspiracy" being that it was easy to get started in the scale. One "conversion" being promoted essentially consisted of removing a "HO" Plymouth from its box - repainting / relabelling it - changing the couplings - and chucking it onto an On30 layout.

A more frequently encountered conversion also involves adding a larger cab (which often seems to mean a taller cab). There seem to be plenty of these conversions in the On30 sections of a number of US model railway forum sites.

For example, I seriously considered building my own variants of some of the critters shown in one thread on FreeRails:

http://www.freerails.com/view_topic.php?id=4726&forum_id=4&highlight=Bachmann

I could also point to another interesting conversion thread on Railroad Line (I could probably point to others, if I looked a bit harder - the On30 and "critter" build sections of a number of US sites seem to be full of similar fare):

http://railroad-line.com/discussion/pop_printer_friendly.asp?TOPIC_ID=36138

Meanwhile, this online presentation elsewhere also made for very interesting reading:

http://thoroughbredlimited2015.yolasite.com/resources/Clinic_Presentations/Gliebe-Critters%20Great%20%26%20Small%202015-2.pdf

As for me, I've yet to have a go at a similar "bash" - though I must admit they sound like fun.

(In case you're wondering why I needed to ask which Lima shunter you were referring to, a few years back I came across another former Lima 0-4-0 Diesel shunter of similar "quality" - more recently sold in a cheap Jouef branded blister pack with a couple of 4 wheel wagons. I also had a few ideas for "bashes" - though whether any of them will see the light of day remains to be seen.)

Huw.

Would it be this one, by any chance?

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/95520-what-lima-loco-did-this-pancake-motor-come-from/&do=findComment&comment=1779537

This model - and others very similar to it - is actually US outline - and has been offered by a number of RTR manufacturers.

It's based on a Plymouth shunter - I believe the 0-4-0 version to be a MDT and the 0-6-0 version a WDT (please don't hold me to this - I'm not an expert - I'm just repeating stuff other people have posted on a number of other sites).

Plymouth actually produced a number of similarly styled Diesel shunters, both of these models are reputed to be somewhat overscale - despite being sold as HO, they're often regarded as actually being much closer to On30 (albeit having cabs with low roofs for the scale).

This is reputed to have been one factor behind the appearance of the "On30 Conspiracy" - the "conspiracy" being that it was easy to get started in the scale. One "conversion" being promoted essentially consisted of removing a "HO" Plymouth from its box - repainting / relabelling it - changing the couplings - and chucking it onto an On30 layout.

A more frequently encountered conversion also involves adding a larger cab (which often seems to mean a taller cab). There seem to be plenty of these conversions in the On30 sections of a number of US model railway forum sites.

For example, I seriously considered building my own variants of some of the critters shown in one thread on FreeRails:

http://www.freerails.com/view_topic.php?id=4726&forum_id=4&highlight=Bachmann

I could also point to another interesting conversion thread on Railroad Line (I could probably point to others, if I looked a bit harder - the On30 and "critter" build sections of a number of US sites seem to be full of similar fare):

http://railroad-line.com/discussion/pop_printer_friendly.asp?TOPIC_ID=36138

Meanwhile, this online presentation elsewhere also made for very interesting reading:

http://thoroughbredlimited2015.yolasite.com/resources/Clinic_Presentations/Gliebe-Critters%20Great%20%26%20Small%202015-2.pdf

As for me, I've yet to have a go at a similar "bash" - though I must admit they sound like fun.

(In case you're wondering why I needed to ask which Lima shunter you were referring to, a few years back I came across another former Lima 0-4-0 Diesel shunter of similar "quality" - more recently sold in a cheap Jouef branded blister pack with a couple of 4 wheel wagons. I also had a few ideas for "bashes" - though whether any of them will see the light of day remains to be seen.)

Huw.

THAT'S THE ONE!!!

I always considered it continental as the only one I had ever seen was produced by Lima so presumed it was loosely based on some European design...But American or European it's all foreign to me :mosking:

I was looking at a picture of one the other day and the way the engine bonnet is with the cab reminded me of those railcars used on the Irish narrow gauge lines, if fitted with a coach body on the back. Obviously with the fixed wheel base of the shunter you'd have to pivot one end of the coach on the chassis of the shunter (I'll have to do a rough sketch of my idea at some point) so it can negotiate tight curves and either have a single axle or a small bogie on the other end.

https://transportsofdelight.smugmug.com/RAILWAYS/IRISH-RAILWAYS/NARROW-GAUGE-LOCOMOTIVES/i-dmPnKxf

Just some more ideas for conversions of any of the old toy train chassis

https://transportsofdelight.smugmug.com/RAILWAYS/IRISH-RAILWAYS/NARROW-GAUGE-LOCOMOTIVES/i-FLrkstj

https://transportsofdelight.smugmug.com/RAILWAYS/IRISH-RAILWAYS/NARROW-GAUGE-LOCOMOTIVES/i-jwLr7Nd

https://transportsofdelight.smugmug.com/RAILWAYS/IRISH-RAILWAYS/NARROW-GAUGE-LOCOMOTIVES/i-tmtX83x

• Like 1

I love what a lot of people have done here. Though the Caley Pugbashes and that G5 have struck an extra special resonance with me.

Many moons ago I built this up with the intention of creating an 009 gauge layout. As interests veered and whatnot it has since been left to one side of the best part of 4 years now. 

post-8963-0-84847000-1492855152_thumb.jpg

post-8963-0-86177400-1492855172_thumb.jpg

post-8963-0-82428200-1492855241_thumb.jpg

I utilised a Grafar 94xx chassis. I'm thinking of going back to the drawing board with it though.

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

I love what a lot of people have done here. Though the Caley Pugbashes and that G5 have struck an extra special resonance with me.

Many moons ago I built this up with the intention of creating an 009 gauge layout. As interests veered and whatnot it has since been left to one side of the best part of 4 years now. 

… I utilised a Grafar 94xx chassis. I'm thinking of going back to the drawing board with it though.

I very much hope that this "back to the drawing board" malarkey involves a new body and chassis.

Your model looks far too good to discard.

Huw.

blogentry-8963-0-31405800-1362972343.jpg

blogentry-8963-0-54311900-1362972349.jpg

blogentry-8963-0-51557200-1362972358.jpg

I utilised a Grafar 94xx chassis. I'm thinking of going back to the drawing board with it though.

I like that a lot! Tram engines just have a different sort of charm about them, I have a mamod tram engine modified from an sl1k, bought for its quaint charm

• RMweb Gold

Well I blame you all entirely for this, had I not seen this topic I would never have thought of it.

I wanted a Kitson 0-4-0 for a layout I'm building, but the only available model I'm aware of is a Judith Edge brass kit. 

I've never built a brass kit, and didn't fancy starting with what is allegedly one of the more fiddly ones.

Then I saw this thread.

So, to cut a long story short, this afternoon and evening, I've turned this:

post-17302-0-54806500-1493592890_thumb.jpg

Into this:

post-17302-0-09820600-1493592908_thumb.jpg

Which hopefully looks a bit like this:

post-17302-0-55161100-1493592958_thumb.jpg

and it's all your fault...

Thank you!

Al.

• Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

You mean like this little fella? A work in progress, entirely freelance.post-7084-0-91506000-1493626316_thumb.jpgpost-7084-0-56709100-1493626331_thumb.jpgpost-7084-0-67063800-1493626343_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Just an update to the Pug bash above, I wasn't happy with the cab, so this afternoon I took a hacksaw to the running plate and chassis, and this is the result:

post-17302-0-12356000-1493647541_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-25186100-1493647576_thumb.jpg

Al.

• Like 7
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

I see mention of the OO Lima 0-4-0 diesel shunter. They did the same thing in N but it was about double the width of any other N gauge loco. Perfect for my 009 layout with a modified cab which was just the old cab roof cut off and some matchsticks added to make pillars with some plastic card for a front and back sheet to protect the driver. A quick repaint and I had a new loco on the roster for about a quarter the price of anything then available in 009. Sadly that was 40+ years ago and I no longer have any 009 due to my first wife deciding it should all be sold!

• RMweb Premium

You mean like this little fella? A work in progress, entirely freelance.attachicon.gifIMG_2326.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_2324.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_2325.JPG

That looks very like something I'd imagined for one of several Lima Plymouths I have in the projects box(es).  You've done a great job of reducing the enormous cab to something more realistic.

One thing I will do to "Anglicise" the loco is to reduce the radiator area by adding a border of 2-3mm of plastic card around the existing grille.  Surely the area is only that big on a Plymouth to deal with Southern USA temperatures?  You won't need that in a UK industrial environment.

That looks very like something I'd imagined for one of several Lima Plymouths I have in the projects box(es).  You've done a great job of reducing the enormous cab to something more realistic.

One thing I will do to "Anglicise" the loco is to reduce the radiator area by adding a border of 2-3mm of plastic card around the existing grille.  Surely the area is only that big on a Plymouth to deal with Southern USA temperatures?  You won't need that in a UK industrial environment.

That's a very good point, thank you for pointing it out. I may well have to follow your example and do the same with the radiator grille.

Surely the doyen of small-scale narrow gauge modelling, PDH himself, had a regauged Kemtron HO scale shunter which can still be seen in running order today, and a diecast toy industrial 0-4-0T on a 9mm gauge chassis?

Not to mention, IIRC, a number of die-cast tippler wagons acquired from Woolworths.

gallery_31825_4234_65237.jpg

As a new member, I figured I'd throw my hat into the ring. I took an electron Jouef 0-6-0 chassis and extend its chassis to match a Hornby pug. It's a fun little project. 

• Like 15