Show us your Pugbashes, Nellieboshes, Desmondifications, Jintysteins

Corbs

Just now, cypherman said:

Hi all,

Out of curiosity how long a running time do you get from one of the fireless engines between fill ups.

Depends on the jobs done, but at least a few hours.
Experienced drivers got more endurance than others.
Chris.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 05/08/2021 at 10:41, Sophia NSE said:

Exhibit A M'lud! 

IMG20210804104230.jpg.372122e30fecf2224bfbc3314b089958.jpg

I think it is pretty amazing just how well the Airfix 4F chassis fits the C class body - all credit to @Sophia NSE for spotting the possibility and executing the conversion so well! Every time I look at it, I find myself thinking, "How much did she save over a Bachmann model?!" :laugh_mini:

Steve S

Edited by SteveyDee68
Removed double signature!
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

I think it is pretty amazing just how well the Airfix 4F chassis fits the C class body - all credit to @Sophia NSE for spotting the possibility and executing the conversion so well! Every time I look at it, I find myself thinking, "How much did she save over a Bachmann model?!" :laugh_mini:

Steve S

Steve S

I can't take the credit for it, it was all @BlueLightning's fault!

It's cost me less than £40 so far. I do need handrails and a crew to complete it

Edited by Sophia NSE
More words
  • Like 1
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Teacher says: "None of this banter. I'm coming round to see how much work you've actually done."

I'll do a live presentation of my work on Sunday Sir. I'll try and finish my homework as well as everyone else's :jester:

59 minutes ago, Sophia NSE said:

I can't take the credit for it, it was all @BlueLightning's fault!

Neither can I, I stole the idea off someone on the Great British Locomotives thread back when they were first released.

1 hour ago, Sophia NSE said:

It's cost me less than £40 so far. I do need handrails and a crew to complete it

As did mine when I first did it, but that was quite a few years ago, inflation probably means you got the better deal :P

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, BlueLightning said:

I'll do a live presentation of my work on Sunday Sir. I'll try and finish my homework as well as everyone else's :jester:

Show and tell. Excellent.

Unfortunately* I'll be off on holiday by Sunday and w/o internet. I'm afraid my attendance at your online sessions has been rather poor recently. I believe I've missed a whole SER Class O in lined black?

*Not that unfortunately! Desperate to get away to the usual Cumbrian hideaway, which we missed last summer, of course.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

I believe I've missed a whole SER Class O in lined black?

A whole SER O Class, and the trackwork and electrics on a new layout!!

7 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Unfortunately* I'll be off on holiday by Sunday and w/o internet.

Sounds wonderful, I hope you enjoy yourself!!

and to bring this back on topic, 7 seconds of a Peckettbash shunting some wagons on said new layout, one day I'll give it a crew, it's rather obvious that they are missing!!

Edited by BlueLightning
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

The boiler definitely needed to be shorter, but as I've managed to create a fairly rigid structure I'm not changing it. If all goes to plan this should gain pannier tanks, a small coal bunker, a smokebox door*, and paint by the time I go to uni. Chassis and footplate from a Neilson pug (Smokey Joe), cab from GWR 101 (2013 collector club loco), firebox and smokebox from the Dowlais Ironworks loco (Queen Mary), and boiler from the lid of a lip balm tube (this is a very unsuitable material, being far too brittle - I should have used it as a mould for plasticard).

image.png.d16139261dd3073a8161faea84ddc9ee.png

*The original was donated to a Hornby Thomas at a time when I didn't think I'd be using the boiler and smokebox again

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, DK123GWR said:

The boiler definitely needed to be shorter, but as I've managed to create a fairly rigid structure I'm not changing it. If all goes to plan this should gain pannier tanks, a small coal bunker, a smokebox door*, and paint by the time I go to uni. Chassis and footplate from a Neilson pug (Smokey Joe), cab from GWR 101 (2013 collector club loco), firebox and smokebox from the Dowlais Ironworks loco (Queen Mary), and boiler from the lid of a lip balm tube (this is a very unsuitable material, being far too brittle - I should have used it as a mould for plasticard).

*The original was donated to a Hornby Thomas at a time when I didn't think I'd be using the boiler and smokebox again

Excellent, another thing you could add might be outside steam pipes from the smokebox to the cylinders as with the 1500 class?

A bit of tube might suffice.

K3pELFZeCzsqZJB3sNTJFzY4a_Eaj5I9LG0mu4Gn

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, Sophia NSE said:

J72 into an LCDR T class

A T Class is on my list of stuff to model at some point - how far off is the chassis? That would save me a lot of faff if I can use an RTR one

EDIT: answering my own question here! The J72 is 4ft 1.25in wheels on a 13ft 8in wheelbase, the T Class is 4ft 6in wheels on a 15ft wheelbase - so to scale, the J72 wheels are about 1.75mm too small and the wheelbase is about 5mm too short. We'll all have our own answers as to whether that's an acceptable compromise or not! (For the record, I think it's fine - would someone notice if you didn't have the two side-by-side? Probably not)

Edited by TurboSnail
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, TurboSnail said:

A T Class is on my list of stuff to model at some point - how far off is the chassis? That would save me a lot of faff if I can use an RTR one

I've been told that the J72 chassis is close enough to make it work, which makes things so much easier

• Like 2

On 05/08/2021 at 16:56, BlueLightning said:

A whole SER O Class, and the trackwork and electrics on a new layout!!

Sounds wonderful, I hope you enjoy yourself!!

and to bring this back on topic, 7 seconds of a Peckettbash shunting some wagons on said new layout, one day I'll give it a crew, it's rather obvious that they are missing!!

If there are any chance of more photos of your Peckettbash, I'd like to see them. Is that the Hornby model? It seems a tiny bit jerky in its running. Mine was like that until I ran it in, and a bit of paint wore off the con rods and it all ran smoothly after that.

Ben

Hi all,

On 09/08/2021 at 14:38, DK123GWR said:

Hi DK,

It is amazing what you can do with the little Hornby 0-4-0's. This was my last project on one. Good luck with yours.

DSC_1056.JPG

DSC_1057.JPG

DSC_1058.JPG

DSC_1059.JPG

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, BenNewland said:

If there are any chance of more photos of your Peckettbash, I'd like to see them. Is that the Hornby model? It seems a tiny bit jerky in its running. Mine was like that until I ran it in, and a bit of paint wore off the con rods and it all ran smoothly after that.

Ben

Ask and ye shall receive, yes she's a bit jerky at slow speeds, no problem when going faster, hopefully some running will help that, but she did get a repaint by someone else before I had her (although not a lot of running, so I still don't think she is run in) and they also painted the con rods, so I don't know if that has anything to do with it, I shall have to try removing it.

1309960930_2021-08-1023_25_26.jpg.029ad3ebed4081283386fd89170afa65.jpg

539252912_2021-08-1023_25_31.jpg.48526b16600a734f5435744d6f0ab691.jpg

2126447853_2021-08-1023_25_49.jpg.f5a4e0bb6c91c6264ef00ce984f642cd.jpg

1490371777_2021-08-1023_25_42.jpg.e46b1b7fe919000e7545a647d22a4247.jpg

yes she is the Hornby model, obviously the biggest change I have made is the removal of the cab, and the dumb buffers, She has acquired a number since my video the other day, also known as me sticking the DCC address on the side in nice large numbers so I can read it!

The livery is Humbrol number 25 blue, with Phoenix Precision LBSCR Marsh Umber around the edges of the panels, and Fox Transfers white-black-white lining. The name is from my K's Lion kit (Lion wearing the name Thunderbolt instead). Next job, add a crew, which will be from Andy Stadden's Victorian Loco Crew range.

Gary

• Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

34 minutes ago, Captain_Mumbles said:

Gday!

Starting my new layout and found this thing I made a few years ago. Bachmann Ben cut down and shrunk as much as I possibly could (It is still too large) and have it still working to turn it into something more like the real Alfred or Judy. Pretty much made a new and shortened cab out of sheet styrene.

Could still do a lot more to it but I should probably build the layout first.

Cheers!

Ben

I was considering the same.   Discussion with @Corbs has led me to consider his own path, which was motorizing the Ertl diecast Bill/Ben.   Evidently, the Ertl tooling is much closer to 1/76.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

On 05/08/2021 at 12:07, cypherman said:

Hi all,

Out of curiosity how long a running time do you get from one of the fireless engines between fill ups.

I think at H&P, an overnight charge would keep a loco running until lunchtime.

Another fill-up while the driver had lunch would keep it going for the rest of the day, ready for another overnight charge.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Captain_Mumbles said:

This thing is still tiny compared to everything else and I do think you can still get away with it if you decide to use a Bachmann.

Remember the Hornby one? I have one of those. I think it might even pass for O scale narrow gauge!

The Hornby one is almost spot on for 7mm scale standard gauge.

• Informative/Useful 1

23 hours ago, Captain_Mumbles said:

Gday!

Starting my new layout and found this thing I made a few years ago. Bachmann Ben cut down and shrunk as much as I possibly could (It is still too large) and have it still working to turn it into something more like the real Alfred or Judy. Pretty much made a new and shortened cab out of sheet styrene.

Could still do a lot more to it but I should probably build the layout first.

Cheers!

Ben

PXL_20210808_111757229.jpg

Well done Sir! Something I considered many years ago when a retailer north of the border had these on sale at just £25, but although it was far more do-able than the Hornby version (which got me all excited..........until I saw it :O ) it still looked like too much work for my liking so I chickened out. A pity because I saw 'Alfred' alongside the A3082 road at the rail entrance into Par Docks in summer 1966 when I first got interested in railways, and at a couple of St Blazey depot open days around 1970.

Wessex Wagons have a 'Par Harbour ' PO wagon available if you'd like something really appropriate to hang on it! Since the beginning of last year I now live a short walk from the docks and really must get around to watching a Class 66 squeeze along this wobbly and weed-strewn stretch of track to drop off or collect 'Polybulk' wagons, while it's still there.......these days you never know........:unsure:

• Like 3