Salisbury and Lochnivar loco sheds Rhodesia

Michael Delamar

It's a bit of a surprise, but even the published books and contemporary publicity materials (where you might expect to find views) have very few photos at these sheds - and tend to concentrate on particular locomotives.  Salisbury (steam) shed closed in April 1973, which was during UDI and before Rhodesia was "on the map" for many enthusiasts and the days of "steam tourism".  I have shots around Lochinvar (which has always been a diesel depot), but only from after the period in question.

• RMweb Premium

[Content removed]

Well it must be inferred that my recollections and images (previously posted) are of insufficient interest to merit a response from the originator of this thread.  

A lesson learned.

I have just come across this thread, and would be interested in your recollections and photos, even if they have alredy been posted.

I obviously missed them last time, but as I don't look at everything every day, please  forgive me.

Regards

Ian

Ok, I guess it was rather churlish of me to have deleted what I had posted earlier.  However it came about because of something I see in several places on RMweb (and not just affecting me, or confined to this thread, I hasten to add), where respondents have gone to some degree of trouble to provide information (checked and verified, rather than just linking someone else's webpage) only to be met with a lack of any feedback.  Apart from betraying a lack of courtesy (and I appreciate attention has been drawn elsewhere on the site to social aptitude within the modelling community), what is most frustrating is that it inhibits further discussion that could lead to uncovering more information and greater depth of interest.  Likewise, I hope that I'm generally appreciative of any corrections or additions on anything I post.

Sorry for the rant.  Right, deep breath and let's move on.  

Lochinvar diesel depot appeared a rather ramshackle affair.  I would be interested to know where it was in relation to the Salisbury steam shed, which was closed in April 1973.  Lochinvar is located to the west of Harare, in an area that is now known as Kambuzuma, but still betrays a strong Scottish influence in its road names.  )I'm trying to recall how I found my way to the depot as I cannot find it on the road maps I was using at the time.)  Here are a couple of iphotos (giving a very slightly different angle of view) from a visit in 1989, with locomotives of classes DE7, DE8A and DE9A in front.  All these locomotives were part of the "sanctions buster" fleet, built by SGP (Austria), Alsthom (France) and Babcock & Wilcox (Spain) and delivered when exports to Rhodesia were officially proscribed.

post-10122-0-49894600-1488978804_thumb.jpg

post-10122-0-87406500-1488973939_thumb.jpg

On my first visit in October 1982, I was greeted by the shedmaster telling me "you should have been here last week".  I had just missed out on seeing some Shire class locomotives hired in from Malawi Railways that had recently been returned home.  Apparently there were also some locomotives still on loan from Moçambique (nicknamed "prawns" from their livery) that were based at Dabuka (Gweru/Gwelo) that I must have driven past on the way back to Harare.  Both types were received on loan to cover a motive power shortage until deliveries of the 10A class were made in sufficient numbers.

(There was quite a tradition of hiring in locomotives, both during the time of UDI and after independence.  At the time of that visit, a batch of South African 14R class at Bulawayo provided alleviation from an otherwise all-Garratt operational steam fleet).

Some of the locomotives "on shed" in 1989.

DE9A 1948 and 1952

post-10122-0-89999600-1488973635_thumb.jpg

post-10122-0-93310100-1488973659_thumb.jpg

DE8A 1815

post-10122-0-79081300-1488973636_thumb.jpg

Inside the shed is DE6 1607, a GE U20C type that just managed to beat the start of UN sanctions (ten delivered out of an order for twenty-four).

post-10122-0-04330800-1488974457_thumb.jpg

From 1982, here is DH1 3102, one of six diesel-hydraulics obtained second-hand from South Africa.  The DE4 behind (Brush type 4 look-alike) is at the end of the fuelling point.

post-10122-0-89388900-1488973709_thumb.jpg

The approach to the depot was a track that ran alongside the freight yards.  This guy was a shunter (or driver of a DE9?) that wanted his picture taken with his prized possession in 1982 (Ford Consul?).  At the time, Zimbabwe was like a museum for classic cars that had been kept running through the UDI years by some of the most skilled mechanics on the planet.  Perhaps he might be known to the guy in the Liverpool group?

post-10122-0-93818900-1488973847_thumb.jpg

Finally, a request for identification.  This locomotive was shunting a cement works(?) in Harare, somewhere between Lochinvar and the airport.  It looks like a Hudswell, and of 3'6" gauge, but precise details would be welcomed!

post-10122-0-38418300-1488974438_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Thank you, Sir D.  While the Hudswell is very similar to a picture of D849 in Ted Hamer's "Locomotives of Zimbabwe", it seems that that loco was based at the Premier Portland Cement's site at a place called "Cement", near Bulawayo, until replacement in 1991 by a class 19D steam locomotive from South Africa.

I've probably mis-identified the location of the Hudswell in my photo as a cement factory.  Here's a wider view of the plant where the locomotive was seen - unfortunately I didn't take any colour photos which might have helped to identify the piles of material below the loading chute to the right.

post-10122-0-72412800-1488999716_thumb.jpg

[Edit 2] There were two more 3'6" gauge Hudswells supplied to Rhodesia, which don't seem to have been retrieved from the search.  D977 was named "CHILANGA" and went to another cement works near Bulawayo and D1129 which also went via the firm of L. R. Hooper & Co., for the City of Salisbury Electricity Dept.  Both D922 and D1129 were noted as being supplied in "bottle green, lined yellow" and with a brass plate.  Seeing that thew loco in my photos appears to carry the number "2", my thoughts are that perhaps D1129 seems the most likely..

Edited by EddieB

• RMweb Premium

There doesn't seem to be enough white dust about for it to be a cement works.

A quick google shows that the dust gets everywhere, and stains everything, not to memtion solidifying a few slow moving staff!

Regards

Ian

Tonight I showed the photographs to Stan and he recognised the man in Eddie's shot but couldn't recall his name. He said he wore the same type of clothing for shunting.

He said he didnt like the de8 locos. In fact he was used words that I cant here.

He liked the diesel hydraulics, he had one derail on one occasion.

He enjoyed seeing the shots.

Thank you.

• 3 years later...

I know this is an old thread, but here are the photos of Salisbury steam sheds and Lochinvar diesel sheds that I have: 

15 class (Salisbury steam shed).JPG

Salisbury steam sheds

(503) (at Salisbury sheds with 12ths under cover.) J. Batwell.jpg

14th class Garratt No 503 at Salisbury steam sheds

(506) (old Salisbury shed) J.Batwell.jpg

14th class Garratt No 504 at Salisbury steam sheds

(1301) (at sanding towers Lochinvar) photo Bulawayo Railway Museum.jpg

Lochinvar diesel sheds sanding towers

Edited by vulcanxm603
remove modern photo taken in 2015
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1