The Great Glen Model Railway Plan

tractor_37260

QUOTE: From today's local paper:

A new railway line could  be running between Inverness and Fort William this summer.

The production team behind The Great British Bake Off have revealed plans for a new programme, which would involve railway enthusiasts building a track along the length of the Great Glen Way.

Local Model railway fans and volunteers are being sought for the ambitious project which will involve laying the line along 74 miles of specially constructed track. The daunting task will be filmed for Channel 4 and talks have already been held between members of the Inverness Model Railway Club and the programme makers Love Productions, the team behind the smash TV hit Great British Bake Off.

The working title for the show is The Biggest Little Railway line in the World, and Love productions hope it will be as big a hit as the Bake Off.

Mr Martin member of the IMRC said the plan was to build an 0 gauge line, on which a battery or steam-powered radio controlled locomotive would run.

We are certainly keen on it happening but have reservations about if it can actually be done.  It will be a huge undertaking. There will be civil engineering work to be done. They have got to buy the track and lay it out, Wheather they are going to go for one of the model railway companies to get a good deal or not, I don't know, but I guess they will.

I do not think any of the production team have been up here to see what they are going to have to do. They need to come and do a survey to see what they are actually taking on. The Great Glen Way is certainly not flat by any means. It climbs quite steeply. I have not got a clue about how much it will cost or what their budget is.

He added: I shall be very very pleased if they can manage it and we will certainly give them all the support we can, but it is quite a daunting task...

Mr Martin said Love Productions would be looking for engineers and construction workers as well as railway enthusiasts locally and from all over Britain, to take part in the project. 

My own thoughts:  The production team will get a real eye opener once they visit the proposed location(s), of just how ambitious this project really is.

Wonder if James May will get involved. IF it goes ahead..............

Regards

Ken

Archived