C&L to have new ownership

• RMweb Gold

Press release from C&L: http://www.finescale.org.uk

The business would seem to be returning to its roots as a cottage industry supplying track builders.

The 15.2mm 00-SF / 00-BF check gauges are currently showing in stock, which is not always the case. Now might be a good time to order them, rather than wait until the business changes are under way. See: http://www.finescale.org.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=346_375_376&product_id=8776

See this topic: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/112517-cl-finescale-%E2%80%93-owner-pete-llewellyn-to-stand-down/&do=findComment&comment=2639494

Martin.

Edited by martin_wynne
order link addded

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Good to see the Carr's products have found a home, at Phoenix, and hopefully the new owner of the C&L side of things, Phil Reid, will be able to keep the purchasing side of the website going.

Edited by Ian J.

Spent the weekend with Phil at Alley Paley. Phil is taking over the C&L and Exactoscale ranges as far as the track making ranges are concerned and hopes the have the rest of the Exactoscale parts for sale

On the track side Phil seems to have plenty of ideas of expanding the range as far as track building is concerned, some of the ideas will be easy to achieve others will depend on funds.

Mail order will be much the same as he will be using the existing website, he anticipates that it may take up to a month before the website reopens, sooner if possible but as well as transferring all stock from Bristol he also has to honour show commitments during each weekend in May. The stand at shows will develop as he will not have the Peco products, but has other ideas of what else to offer on the stand

As for the Exactoscale non track parts, this has still to be finalised. He would like to maintain the range talks are proceeding

Some track parts may be out of stock during the transition (my order was complete, on the stand we ran out of one item but Bristol still have stocks), but if any do Phil will order replacements as soon as he takes over.  

As far as Carrs products, I spoke with the owner of Phoenix paints and Flux etc will be available via mail order or shows via the Phoenix stand plus other retailers who sell the brand and want to offer the Carrs range

Looks like business as usual at shows and mail order will soon be up and running. Doom mongers your worse fears are allayed

Hopes this info helps those who could not chat to Phil at the show, having said that most customers seemed unaware of any changes 

• Like 1

The stand at shows will develop as he will not have the Peco products, but has other ideas of what else to offer on the stand

The opportunity to buy Peco was never the reason I formed an orderly queue at the stand, so I am not disappointed. In fact, the offer may become more distinctive without.

As for the Exactoscale non track parts, this has still to be finalised. He would like to maintain the range talks are proceeding

[...]

Looks like business as usual at shows and mail order will soon be up and running. Doom mongers your worse fears are allayed

This doesn't allay my fears that the range of uniquely beautiful wheels is  about to be lost! Who will supply the existing stocks if Phil hasn't taken them on by the cutoff date? Will they just disappear from the website? What happens with those kit producers who incorporate Exactoscale hornblocks?

The Nim.

The opportunity to buy Peco was never the reason I formed an orderly queue at the stand, so I am not disappointed. In fact, the offer may become more distinctive without.

This doesn't allay my fears that the range of uniquely beautiful wheels is  about to be lost! Who will supply the existing stocks if Phil hasn't taken them on by the cutoff date? Will they just disappear from the website? What happens with those kit producers who incorporate Exactoscale hornblocks?

The Nim.

Nimbus

Thanks for being so patient queuing, trying to replace the big stand with fewer people and larger sales of Peco products whilst running down this side of the business, plus I guess there was a bit of buying earlier in the day this year in case stocks were limited gave us a peak this year

In future I guess things will be a bit quieter, certainly I have offered to help Phil in the larger local shows to me. The stand whilst staying with its roots and hoping to expand track building parts will also develop in a slightly different direction, plus Phil hopes to be able to react more easily to customer demands and changing requirements

As for Exactoscale this is far more complicated, the easier part is to take over the existing stock. The harder part is deciding what parts to keep going and having the funds to do so. The plan is to retain (maintain stocks  of) the more popular lines.

In the past Phil had little say in how the business was run, he has his own ideas as well as those from the customers. As it will be his day job/source of employment its in his best interests to give where possible what the customers require. initially there will be some issues in taking over the business and get it up and running, then a period of change as he adapts to new circumstances as they arrive. 

Edited by hayfield

• 2 weeks later...

This doesn't allay my fears that the range of uniquely beautiful wheels is  about to be lost! Who will supply the existing stocks if Phil hasn't taken them on by the cutoff date? 

Well! What I wrote turns out to be rather moot. Went to the C&L website last night to discover that all the loco wheels have disappeared! As the C&W wheels are still available, I presume this is due to selling out rather than a policy decision. 

So, simultaneous good news for Phil - there's a demonstrated appetite for the product, but also the need to consider the production and re-stocking the entire range of a quite complex product right at the start of his tenure as owner. I can

only wish him well.

The Nim.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Worse is that now the web sites says that there is no way to order any products. When do I buy nikel silver rail and slide chairs now?

The web site has been warning for weeks that last orders under the existing ownership would be at the end of April. The business will then be closed for the whole of May, and is due to re-open under new ownership at the beginning of June.

Martin.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The web site has been warning for weeks that last orders under the existing ownership would be at the end of April. The business will then be closed for the whole of May, and is due to re-open under new ownership at the beginning of June.

Martin.

So no more point building until then, then :-(

Thankfully there has been a lot of notice about this from both C&L and through various internet sites.

The good news is that Phil is taking over the existing website, so there is an existing website that will be up and running. Phil at the moment is relocating the stock, organising it into a workable format so he can both ascertain stocks and be able to fulfil orders quickly and efficiently and order replacements as necessary.

As far as I know mail order from June, Below is a list of shows Phil will be attending, I don't think there is any  way of pre-ordering. I am happy to pass on any messages to see if he could make up a package to be picked up and paid for at the shows

Please remember the quicker he organises himself the quicker he can start trading, whist having a presence at some shows

6-7 May Derby LINK Derby Phil
13-14 May Expo EM LINK Bracknell Phil
27-28 May Railex LINK Aylesbury Phil
3-4 June  DEMU  LINK Burton Phil
17 June P4 AGM   Watford Phil

• Like 1

Worse is that now the web sites says that there is no way to order any products. When do I buy nikel silver rail and slide chairs now?

Available at shows, as mail order is temporally suspended whilst the new business is being set up

So no more point building until then, then :-(

PM sent

Edited by hayfield

Will Phil have a presence here on RMweb? It could be useful for announcements and understanding how things are.

Ian

I am not too certain, starting to run the business rather than go to a show every two weeks is quite different. To start off with it will be I guess a time of consolidation of the existing C&L/Exactoscale track business, he is thinking about continuing some of the other Exactoscale products, but that's not decided. I think he will also be selling a small range of 0 gauge locos and wagons. He has thoughts of extending other track parts for different scales to complement the existing range.

I give Phil a hand from time to time (had to decline York) and waiting for a call about Bracknell and Railex. At worst I will be going as a visitor and no doubt will cover for tea and lunch breaks, so can catch up

I would expect there will be a period of just bedding in the business, taking stock of both the components and mail order side and increasing the number of shows attending. I would expect both development and expansion of the business will take time

He may be like Pete and keep away from the web sites, on the other hand see it as part of the promotion of the business. The good news is that he is an active modeller (whether he will now get time to model is another story)

Pete told me he gave up on these sites owing to the attitude of some of the posters. Please remember some traders have thicker skins than others. There are those who do it as a hobby and receive little in reward, others have a business to run and have a family to support.

• Like 2

Phil's just text me, I will be at both Bracknell and Railex. If anyone is desperate I will pick up a few bits for them, also whilst I have not checked with Phil happy to pass on pre-orders, on the other hand if anyone is coming on Sunday, happy to put parts aside for collection

.....As far as I know mail order from June, Below is a list of shows Phil will be attending, I don't think there is any  way of pre-ordering. I am happy to pass on any messages to see if he could make up a package to be picked up and paid for at the shows

Please remember the quicker he organises himself the quicker he can start trading, whist having a presence at some shows

6-7 May Derby LINK Derby Phil

13-14 May Expo EM LINK Bracknell Phil

27-28 May Railex LINK Aylesbury Phil

3-4 June  DEMU  LINK Burton Phil

17 June P4 AGM   Watford Phil

OT, but I was roped in as a steward for the P4 AGM on 17th June, as NLG are supposed to be hosting this and arranging the venue. However, I am aware of quite a bit of unhappy rumbling below the surface at NLG, and we have lost our Secretary who made little attempt to hide his feelings at the way things are apparently being run. I'm not even sure the venue has been booked!

OT, but I was roped in as a steward for the P4 AGM on 17th June, as NLG are supposed to be hosting this and arranging the venue. However, I am aware of quite a bit of unhappy rumbling below the surface at NLG, and we have lost our Secretary who made little attempt to hide his feelings at the way things are apparently being run. I'm not even sure the venue has been booked!

I have been aware that there have been issues in the past and its sad to hear things have not been resolved, especially as they are to do with the Societies (not groups) AGM

Lets hope all is resolved ASAP, as from what I understand its a great group of members

The C&L stand as I said will be Derby this weekend and at both Bracknell and Railex (Aylesbury) later in the month. Until next month these shows will be the only access to C&L and Exactoscale until Phil has the business up and running for mail order business. As the mail order business is not operational till next month you cannot pre-order products. No doubt Phil will be happy to take orders at the show if he runs out of any product(s) and I guess he may have some Exactoscale items not at the show

As for Bracknell and Railex (Aylesbury), especially for those who are attending on the Sunday I am happy to contact Phil with a list of pre-orders, or at worst I will make up the orders when I arrive

I was pleasantly surprised at Alley Pally at the lack of concern from the customers about the changes to the business. I am certain that Phil is happy to discuss customer requirements as he takes the business over and develops it, to any business customer feedback is very important, but please do this at quiet times so as not to disrupt those wishing to spend money ( later in the day is normally best)

As I said earlier I think the business is in good hands, Phil has been running the small stand for some time now and is a railway modeller himself (expect a bit more 7mm items on the stand). Also though please bear with him as I guess it is a bit different running the business to running a stand. Peter for some reason when he took over the business took some needless and unnecessary flack (mostly arising from the previous ownership) whatever has happened in the past is nothing to do with Phil.

Still Phil is looking forward to running the business and has plans to take it forward, some will be easy to do and quick to implement, others may take longer to achieve and of course as the business develops plans will alter

Still do say hello to Phil at Derby this weekend and support him in this new venture for him 

• Like 4

Indeed OT, so if anyone wishes to discuss the Scalefour Society AGM, I suggest they start a new thread.

However to scotch any unfounded rumours or accusations, the North London Group *is* hosting the Scalefour AGM, and they confirmed as much only three weeks ago to the Scalefour Committee and to the membership in general a week ago.

You will also find details of the event at http://www.thenlg.org.uk/scalefour-agm.html

The web page also gives details of the layouts on display, and the traders attending.  As usual, non-members are welcome to attend and enjoy the day.  We just conduct the actual AGM itself for members-only.

Cheers

Paul Willis

Scalefour Society Deputy Chairman

• Like 3