Latest loco off the WB 37 262 Dounreay in Engineers Grey.

It's fitted with working ScR car spot lights and an EM2 speaker/Bif's WD 37/0 sound file.  Still needs BB detailing and proper snowploughs finished by some weathering.  I have a few EM2 fitted 37's, but for some reason this one sounds even better than any of the others, it really growls/throbs and rattles the baseboard.

DSC02966.JPG

DSC02964.JPG

DSC02965.JPG

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

1 hour ago, rob D2 said:

Nice  bit of kit, is that an adaptation of 37142 ?

Yep..reworked 37 142.  262 being a steamer so roof boiler exhaust port and blow off valves added, vertical cab side window orange cantrail strips removed...not present on 262. Nose ends repainted after removing top WR brackets RETB aerials also added.

Edited by tractor_37260
update text
  • Like 1

Hi Tractor,

I hope you don’t mind another enquiry on the car Headlamp style lighting?

i am new to modelling and have been altering a couple of Bachmann 37’s, adding sound and new speakers etc.and looking to add the prototypical car headlamp style lighting.  I have 012 and 114 and was hoping to additionally add the lights to these.

Could you let me know either were you get them or whether you can sell.

Cheers,

Mutzig

50 minutes ago, Mutzig said:

Hi Tractor,

I hope you don’t mind another enquiry on the car Headlamp style lighting?

i am new to modelling and have been altering a couple of Bachmann 37’s, adding sound and new speakers etc.and looking to add the prototypical car headlamp style lighting.  I have 012 and 114 and was hoping to additionally add the lights to these.

Could you let me know either were you get them or whether you can sell.

Cheers,

Mutzig

Hi Mutzig

Welcome to the forum.  I've sent you a PM re the lamps - see top of the page and click on the envelope to view.

Regards

Ken

Another 37 completed - originally a GA L/L 37 425 re-worked into 37 420.  Once again EM2 fitted with Bif's WD 37/4  sound file. Note the pose-able opening cab doors - some earlier Bach 37's featured these - although in this case the springs have been removed.  BB pipes/HJ ploughs etc still to be fitted, and possibly batch weathered along with some other locos. 

DSC02968.JPG

DSC02969.JPG

DSC02974.JPG

DSC02970.JPG

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Fresh out of the paint shop 3 x INTERCITY Swallow 37's with one off Silver Roofs.  These 2 locos were spruced up including Silver roofs at ML TMD, initially for a royal Train to take HRH Prince Charles etc to Fort William.

Thought It was about time I did a "signature" model of 37 251 and it's very similar twin 37 152.  The other 37 251 was a commission job.  It was a pile of work, with many hours spent masking, but I'm well pleased with the results.  Just need to sort out EM2 fitted chassis for them now.

DSC03077.JPG

DSC03081.JPG

DSC03078.JPG

Edited by tractor_37260
edit text
  • Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...

Full re-paints of Hornby 08 661 Europa's -   Haymarket twins 08 720/08761 in Provincial Livery, although there are slight differences.   The majority of transfers used were Rail-Tec including the 3D printed works builders plates which finish off the models nicely.

DSC03168.JPG

DSC03170.JPG

DSC03169.JPG

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Eddie R v2.0 said:

Absolutely superb Ken. They really suit that livery. 

Yep very pleased how they turned out Eddie.  A lot of work but something different.  08 761 is off to Germany . Making the most of all this time stuck indoors, will it ever end ? 

Ken

• Like 1

Freshly finished yet another HA 08   - 08 570 in Swallow livery.  Re-worked from a Bach 08800.  Rail-Tec transfers and 3D printed works plates.  The Red Stripe and lower skirt/sole bar re-painted with the correct colours.  Next up ED 08 938.

Ken

DSC03183.JPG

DSC03186.JPG

Edited by tractor_37260
  • Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 4 weeks later...

Latest from the paint shop  - 47 612  Titan re-worked into 47 555 The Commonwealth Spirit.  The Yellow ends and cab roof domes being repainted, mainly to revert the head boxes back to half Grey half Yellow - from all Dark Grey on 612.  Brandings on one side were also changed so the arrow is now before the InterCity script, not after as per 612. 

DSC03191.JPG

DSC03193.JPG

DSC03195.JPG

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1

• 2 weeks later...

Another commission re-work completed,  one of Eastfield's early versions of L/L livery -  37112, was originally BR Blue 37 049. And yes I'm aware it does not have the correct boiler roof panel for 112. 

DSC03230.JPG

DSC03227.JPG

Edited by tractor_37260
  • Like 3

On 07/12/2020 at 17:57, tractor_37260 said:

Another commission re-work completed,  one of Eastfield's early versions of L/L livery -  37112, was originally BR Blue 37 049. And yes I'm aware it does not have the correct boiler roof panel for 112. 

DSC03230.JPG

DSC03227.JPG

Very nice. I’ve been reading some old “rail “ mags from 1984, it seems it fairly quickly lost the yellow ends and went back to a duller scheme.

I was  also surprised me was 37183 LL , was done at Swindon , and at the same time Swindon were repairing a few class 27s !

Edited by rob D2

On 18/06/2020 at 17:09, tractor_37260 said:

Latest loco off the WB 37 262 Dounreay in Engineers Grey.

It's fitted with working ScR car spot lights and an EM2 speaker/Bif's WD 37/0 sound file.  Still needs BB detailing and proper snowploughs finished by some weathering.  I have a few EM2 fitted 37's, but for some reason this one sounds even better than any of the others, it really growls/throbs and rattles the baseboard.

DSC02966.JPG

DSC02964.JPG

DSC02965.JPG

A wee bit still lives on in 1/1 scale here and some on 264! Had to perform some of the last rites on 262 sadly in Sims Metals during 2002 I think it was... 

Amazing model! :) 264 on the cards? 

59252C09-BEBE-41E1-A157-F38A41EF63B6.jpeg

Edited by Firecrest
  • Friendly/supportive 1

13 hours ago, Firecrest said:

A wee bit still lives on in 1/1 scale here and some on 264! Had to perform some of the last rites on 262 sadly in Sims Metals during 2002 I think it was... 

Amazing model! :) 264 on the cards? 

59252C09-BEBE-41E1-A157-F38A41EF63B6.jpeg

Yep 264 is on the radar along with it's sister's in L/L.....watch this space....

• Round of applause 1

On 15/12/2020 at 06:25, rob D2 said:

Very nice. I’ve been reading some old “rail “ mags from 1984, it seems it fairly quickly lost the yellow ends and went back to a duller scheme.

I was  also surprised me was 37183 LL , was done at Swindon , and at the same time Swindon were repairing a few class 27s !

Hi Rob

L/L 37 183 - ah yes - been working on one of these for some time, just don't time to get it finished.  It's based on an early Green Bach RSH 37, fully re-painted, but as it has no lighting, made custom lighting boards for it, along with a modded  EM2 fitted chassis.......hopefully will leave the works early in the New Year ! 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 17/12/2020 at 14:36, tractor_37260 said:

based on an early Green Bach RSH 37

Hi Ken

I would like to do one of the center headcode RSH 37's for my WHL layout but am limited by the lack of non Vulcan bodyshell styled models.  From the little I know of the early Bachmann 37's I was under the impression that the failings of the model were to many to make it worth converting. You appear to think differently? Any chance of some pictures to show us what you are doing to bring the loco up to standard?

regards Rob  

Edited by young37215

7 hours ago, young37215 said:

Hi Ken

I would like to do one of the center headcode RSH 37's for my WHL layout but am limited by the lack of Vulcan bodyshell styled models.  From the little I know of the early Bachmann 37's I was under the impression that the failings of the model were to many to make it worth converting. You appear to think differently? Any chance of some pictures to show us what you are doing to bring the loco up to standard?

regards Rob  

Hi Rob

At the time, the only centre headcode Bach RSH 37's were BG Green with buffer cowls.  I decided to use one of these to model L/L 37 183.  It's been fully re-painted into L/L livery.  One of the issues on these early models was the nose end detail was in the wrong place, and due to the buffer cowls being too deep the buffers were also too low. I cut the buffers/and bottom edge of the cowls off, together with slots (as per 183) for the new buffers fit at the correct height. The gaps in the (early} chassis BB were replaced with plasticard for the new buffers to mount on.  The headcode box (too high up) and tail lights are also in wrong place on these early models, but that's a compromise one either accepts or not, far too much work to sort that out. 

I made up custom lighting boards, with new translucent domino's on the PC to replace the original Bach train reporting digits, the headcode box fittings were drilled out to to allow light through them.  I cut a "lot" of metal out of the chassis to get an EM2 speaker fitted along with space for a decoder mounting using an ESU51968 adaptor board for the excellent Bif WD 37/0 sound file.  It will also have the classic working ScR car type headlights.  The flying leads on the chassis are for the new lighting and cab lights.  I've still to complete it but it's nearly there. 

Another early example I re-worked was  L/L 37 114 Dunrobin. Again it started life as a BR Green buffer cowl fitted 37.  The cowls were cut off, BB's reinstated, the boiler roof panel had the riveted strips removed and "bolt heads" were fitted to represent the flush panel, prior to be re-painted into L/L livery.

Some photos of it further back in this thread.

I tried to upload some photos of 183 but they are all too big !  I'll take some smaller images and add them soon.

HTH

Ken

• Thanks 1