Hope Mill. A rebuild. A new home, introductions.

brightspark

• RMweb Gold

Lovely to see someone taking on Hope Mill. Although I had follow Martin's layouts in the model press and seen them at exhibitions, I didn't get to know him until he moved to Ledbury. If I remember correctly Hope Mill was intended to act as a terminus for some trains Martin being interested in stations where this happened without the extra platforms of larger junction stations. Originally the Junction was assumed to be offscene. 

Don

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I thought that it was time for an update. I will write a more later.

But in the meantime, just to show that I am doing something, here is the Bachmann C class on Met Junction having been converted to EM.

post-4587-0-47139600-1533763183_thumb.jpg

And here it is next to Doug Williams C class scratch built in the 1960's.

post-4587-0-51008000-1533763365_thumb.jpg

post-4587-0-15583300-1533763392_thumb.jpgpost-4587-0-11628700-1533763413_thumb.jpg

post-4587-0-69588300-1533763425_thumb.jpg

I think that the Bachmann needs a lot more work.

• Like 6

• 4 months later...

Hope Mill. A rebuild. A new home, introductions.

I was going to start this with a “guess what the layout is”, but I doubt that many of you would recognise it as it has been hidden away for so long. So I will go straight in a say that last week I became the new keeper of Hope Mill, a layout that was created by the late Martin Brent.

attachicon.gifIMG_4078.JPG

Hope Mill in its packing cases, waiting to be unpacked and moved out of what I laughingly call my garage.

I hope that you will join me as I take on the challenge of “doing something with this project”, whatever that finally turns out to be. My intention is to put this layout back onto the exhibition circuit as well as have some fun with it.

The only reference material I have is Martins article about Hope Mill in MRJ 21 published in 1988. Although Phillip Hall thinks that all of the photos he took may still be lurking around Wild Swan. However from what I have found so far this will not be a restoration back to its original condition. Foam scatter flock and pigmy trees may have passed for OK in 1988 but I think that we have moved on since then. So this will be an upgrade that hopefully keeps the essence of Martins original layout.

A search of the website found 2 references to this being listed as an inspirational layout. So while I vacuum off the cobwebs and ponder its condition I will ask you, gentle reader, to recall what memories you may have of this layout and what you think should be the key features that are kept.

Andy,

I am unable to recall any memories of this layout, but I can tell you that Martin was a very dear friend of mine.   We met through a mutual interest in old MG cars, we became immediate friends,  A short time later I discovered we also shared an interest in 1920's/30's jazz music, but most important a great interest in railway model and full size.

I knew Martin from 1967 until he died in 2000 a very sad time.

We went all over the place with MG CC  events and model railway exhibitions where I often helped operate his previous layout 'Arcadia'    Of course I knew and heard about 'Hope Mill' but never saw it, because by that time we lived miles apart, and spoke only on the telephone every week .   When Martin moved to Ledbury I was able to meet up with him more easily.  We could indulge another favourite pastime, that of searching out pubs with good ale, where we could talk MG's and steam railways.

He had a beautiful workshop built, because by that time he'd taken early retirement, and building O gauge loco's etc for people.  A splendid job he made of them too of course.

The next thing I heard was when he told me he had to go into hospital for treatment for Lukaemia .  I was to wait a couple of weeks for things to settle and was looking forward to visiting him, when I had a phone call from his wife Janice to say he'd died..  Needless to say I was shattered, and I miss his friendship to this day..

It is great to see you have acquired this layout .

I hope this has given you a little insight into a little bit of his life, only a tiny I know, I could recall loads of stuff.  

Rob

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

I've only just seen this thread. I had several enjoyable outings in the late 1980s with the layout as part of Martin's operating team.

I don't recall the layout being particularly heavy, mind you I was young then! IIRC the baseboards were fixed face to face for transport.

Martin was a lovely chap and a highly skilled modeller. His easy manner made for excellent company. Mind you he wasn't impressed by my putting his MGs in the scrap yard when he was away having lunch!

I'm glad the layout is still going strong. Like you I enjoyed the emus in a rural setting. It was also the first time I operated a layout that had AJs.

Vernon

Edited by Doncaster
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Lovely to see someone taking on Hope Mill. Although I had follow Martin's layouts in the model press and seen them at exhibitions, I didn't get to know him until he moved to Ledbury. If I remember correctly Hope Mill was intended to act as a terminus for some trains Martin being interested in stations where this happened without the extra platforms of larger junction stations. Originally the Junction was assumed to be offscene. 

Don

Just to add to this I can remember Martin talking about the fact that on some stations trains reversed in the main platforms but this was rarely modelled.Rather like Rob above Martin brought a big  LBSC tank to the Hardwick show which he ran on my layout. He told me about the Lukaemia that was the last time I saw him. I had first realised Martin was living reasonably near was when he submitted an article to me for the Gauge 0 gazette. I was going to visit Ken Payne and asked Martin to join me. He was delighted to do so as Ken's Tyling branch had greatly impressed him  as a young man.

Don              

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On ‎05‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 00:23, Barry O said:

I invited this layout to Leeds Show many moons ago. Martin was a great modeller and also a nice person to know. Glad to see the layout still exists and good luck in the restoration project

Baz

Martin was indeed a nice person, he was also a very close friend of mine for many years. We shared interests in not only model railways but also in old pre war MG cars, and 1930's  jazz and swing music, and most important... Real Ale... over which many a discussion of the former subjects were aired....   I was completely shattered when he died, and miss him to this day.

• Like 1

On ‎05‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 00:23, Barry O said:

I invited this layout to Leeds Show many moons ago. Martin was a great modeller and also a nice person to know. Glad to see the layout still exists and good luck in the restoration project

Baz

Martin was indeed a nice person, he was also a very close friend of mine for many years. We shared interests in not only model railways but also in old pre war MG cars, and 1930's  jazz and swing music, and most important... Real Ale... over which many a discussion of the former subjects were aired....   I was completely shattered when he died, and I miss him to this day.

I followed Martin’s writings in the model railway press for many years. It was a pleasure, therefore, when he and Jan moved to Ledbury, to make his acquaintance and have the pleasure of helping with operating two of his layouts. His passing was a great loss all round, not only as a friend but also a very accomplished modeller.

Stephen

• 1 year later...

The photographer figure you found might be Martin Brent's self portrait, in the video he said the one on Arcadia/Rye harbour is a historically accurate (for the time) representation of himself - so maybe you found either the same figure or maybe a re-creation?

That would be a lovely touch if it is!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hi Stuart,

Sorry, I haven't logged on recently  so didn't spot your comment. I have kind of been distracted recently and time passes so quickly....

However the photographer is not the one in the video.

But thanks for putting the link up, I have been watching them all. It was also good to be able to finally put a face to Martin. 

It is also quite delightful to see his layout  'Rye Harbour'. I must have seen this at IMREX in 1982 as I still have the programme. He says in the description that this is an enlarged version of his previous OO layout Arcadia and this was his first foray into EM.

It has been pointed out to me that I have been in possession of Hope Mill for 5 years now...and what am I going to do with it? 

Well it is packed up and on a trolley. I occasionally go down and have a look at the odd board, but as said before, the thing is too heavy to manage on my own. My head tells me to break it up, salvaging what I can for another layout. But my heart says don't do it.

Oh well, until I have a proper plan, there she stays.

I have however taken a few trips down to Kent to research the area. I come away each time suitably inspired.

Perhaps I should start off with another smaller layout using some of the bits from Hope Mill. 

Hmmm another Rye Harbour?

On 27/05/2021 at 21:27, brightspark said:

Hi Stuart,

Sorry, I haven't logged on recently  so didn't spot your comment. I have kind of been distracted recently and time passes so quickly....

However the photographer is not the one in the video.

But thanks for putting the link up, I have been watching them all. It was also good to be able to finally put a face to Martin. 

It is also quite delightful to see his layout  'Rye Harbour'. I must have seen this at IMREX in 1982 as I still have the programme. He says in the description that this is an enlarged version of his previous OO layout Arcadia and this was his first foray into EM.

It has been pointed out to me that I have been in possession of Hope Mill for 5 years now...and what am I going to do with it? 

Well it is packed up and on a trolley. I occasionally go down and have a look at the odd board, but as said before, the thing is too heavy to manage on my own. My head tells me to break it up, salvaging what I can for another layout. But my heart says don't do it.

Oh well, until I have a proper plan, there she stays.

I have however taken a few trips down to Kent to research the area. I come away each time suitably inspired.

Perhaps I should start off with another smaller layout using some of the bits from Hope Mill. 

Hmmm another Rye Harbour?

Reading your comments and seeing the little piece of video quite an emotional experience for me.  

We were very close friends for many years. This the first time since before he died that I have heard his voice or seen a video.   So I would like to thank you for finding that. 

I hope you don't break up the layout.  I would rather know it was kept something like intact. 

I didn't think I'd seen Rye harbour. When we both got married we moved to different parts of the country, and communicated by telephone mostly. with occasional visits to one another. 

When I used to go to various exhibitions with him and help operate the layout it was EM and I thought it was arcadia, but maybe my memory is playing tricks, and it was indeed Rye Harbour.  I do remember the photographer. 

Martin was quite young looking in the video. he retired and moved to Ledbury  I  visited him a few times. He was going grey by then, certainly not like the Martin in the vid.

It was amazing to see him again.

Rob. 

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, RobMG said:

Reading your comments and seeing the little piece of video quite an emotional experience for me.  

We were very close friends for many years. This the first time since before he died that I have heard his voice or seen a video.   So I would like to thank you for finding that. 

I hope you don't break up the layout.  I would rather know it was kept something like intact. 

I didn't think I'd seen Rye harbour. When we both got married we moved to different parts of the country, and communicated by telephone mostly. with occasional visits to one another. 

When I used to go to various exhibitions with him and help operate the layout it was EM and I thought it was arcadia, but maybe my memory is playing tricks, and it was indeed Rye Harbour.  I do remember the photographer. 

Martin was quite young looking in the video. he retired and moved to Ledbury  I  visited him a few times. He was going grey by then, certainly not like the Martin in the vid.

It was amazing to see him again.

Rob. 

Rob Martin first built arcadia    then he added extra boards with Rye Harbour and the whole became known as Rye  Harbour. This was in EM.  Hope Mill came after that.  When later he changed to 0 gauge he re-used the name Arcadia.

I had read his articles and spoken to him at various shows over the years. It wasn't until he moved to Ledbury that we became friends

Don

• Informative/Useful 2

Hi Andy. 

Just catching up and looking through the old posts.

I know what you mean about heavy baseboards. Our club is celebrating it's 35th anniversary this year and when we started we were all young and active. Dodgy knees and bad backs more the norm now.

The mark 1 version of our Crystal Palace High Level layout had boards with chipboard tops and the first club room was cold and damp. When we moved out of there after five years, the baseboards warped all out of shape. So we scrapped them and started again with plywood ones and changed from code 100 to code 75 00 track. We have had eight different clubrooms in total and one of them was on the second floor of a school with twelve flights of stairs to carry up the layouts after a show ! But we managed it, even with Crystal Palace. Mind you, that layout is now over thirty years old and still not finished going strong, with three smaller newish boards in the fiddle yard area. We have just re-opened our club room and are pushing forward and the layout is due to appear at the Beckenham and West Wickham show in October this year, hopefully showing a fair bit of progress. My Hawkhurst layout is even older and has baseboards made out of 12mm ply with frames made of floorboard timber. There was a reason for this however, as a lot of the top and outside parts of the boards were cut away to form the embanked areas and I did cut weight reduction holes in the frame members using the largest hole saw available, although that blunted fairly quickly and the last few holes were more burnt through rather than sawn ! The layout is suffering a little from age now with currently three broken points which I have temporarily repaired, but I intend to extract and replace them. Now if I could just find my modelling mojo after Covid depression, I might get stuck into it again.

Sounds like you need to form a new Hope Mill team to get the layout back up to scratch and maybe back out to exhibitions again ?

By the way, have you seen the film 'The Lost Highway', filmed on the Hawkhurst Branch just before closure and featuring the last train. There are scenes I think at Goudhurst and Cranbrook. That might re-kindle your enthusiasm for refurbing Hope Mill. (You can find it on the internet).

All the best 

Ray 

Edited by wainwright1
  • Informative/Useful 1